JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was thinking about how little I get out shooting and how much time my guns sit in a dark safe.

Even before my M114 buying binge, I had many firearms that were never fired or taken out once or twice. That number has probably tripled with my binge buys.

What percentage of your firearm collection sees range time at least once a year?

If it's a low percentage, why?

I am going to estimate that less than 10% of my collection gets out to the range at least once a year. I tend to grab many of the same ones each time, so lots of my firearms rarely get out. The reasons for the poor rotation is laziness, lack of desire, preoccupation.

Do I have a "set" rotation...no.
I take whatever firearm I want to shoot , when I go shooting.

That said...I do have some that get shot more than others.
That ain't a bad thing.

My Hawken Rifle gets shot the most out of everything that I own.
I know it shoots very well...and with all the practice of loading and shooting it...I have gotten very good with it.
Which helps out when hunting season comes around or when at a rifle match.
A lot less of just thinking and remembering how to shoot this rifle...and more good shots with this rifle.
Andy

I am fortunate enough that I have steel right off my deck and a 100 yard range just a few steps out the back door....that being said, seems the the more expensive calibers to shoot get benched and only come out to play on rare occasions. The 460, 45-70, 454 casull, 300wsm......the kids shoot the snot out of the 22, 9mm, 45, and so on. I guess for me it's all just cost

I try to get an hour or two of range time in every couple of weeks but I'm not obsessive about it in that I don't have to go shooting I'd rather wait until I want to go shooting. A far as what I shoot on a given day it's whatever I want on that day. All my guns have been shot and will be shot again. Some do get shot more than others, but again I'm not obsessive about it. There is no rotation so to speak. A different way to think is this. A safe full of guns is money in the bank, weather to fight back against tyranny, to feed and protect you and yours, or trading stock in time of need. You might look to trade some of the lessor liked guns 2 or 3 for one more desirable guns to get a net loss of volume but a higher gain of likeability.

About 2/3 of my rifles haven't been shot in over 10 years.
5.56 rifles get shot the most, .308 sometimes when I don't mind spending money on good ammo.
I shoot all of my pistols pretty regular except the .40 and 357 sig.
Haven't bought any ammo for those calibers in a long time and I'm not burning up what I do have.

I was thinking about how little I get out shooting and how much time my guns sit in a dark safe.
How do you get anytime to shoot with how much you post here?
Just having fun with you. I am retired and belong to 2 outdoor ranges and one indoor
range. I shoot at least once a week. I have a match every weekend in March. Some
rifles and pistols don't get shot much. I am going to downsize the ones I don't shoot
except for the family heirlooms.

It depends on mood and if the rifle or pistol range is closed for a event . There are some in the safe that have never left and wont be fired kinda like a real special bottle of single malt one day it will get used .

I've never had a rotation, or at least a specific one. 30-35 years ago I would shoot fairly often, 2-3 times a month, and I would take most of my guns. I may have not shot everything I took, but all of my guns got used within a couple of range trips. I didn't have as many guns then and it was easier to pack 'em all up.

These days pale by comparison. I don't shoot very much. There are a couple that get shot most often and most sit.

A scheduled rotation would be interesting. Might fall in love with something again, or find that you really don't like one/some.

20% get shot yearly. 10% get shot monthly. When is was more active working ranches 60% were shot weekly.

I only practice with two pistols currently and my rifles and shotguns don't see much activity as if late.

I think it would vary depending on the number of guns each individual owned and their access to a shooting range, someone with five firearms is more likely to shoot all their guns in a year than a person with 50.
For me, all pistols are shot regularly, rifles less so and shotguns are more dedicated to trips hunting birds... Someone else may be the exact opposite.

I think it would vary depending on the number of guns each individual owned and their access to a shooting range, someone with five firearms is more likely to shoot all their guns in a year than a person with 50.
For me, all pistols are shot regularly, rifles less so and shotguns are more dedicated to trips hunting birds... Someone else may be the exact opposite.
Like you my Long guns are shot seasonal on critters that are in season at the time. My prairie dog guns get a workout from March to May when I'm shooting ranches. I typically shoot 4000 to 6000 rounds in 14 days of shooting over those months.

It's all based on whim. There is no "plan" at all.

Handguns get shot a lot more than long guns because I really only go just shooting a few times a year. Most of the shooting I do is when I bring a handgun along while doing something else - scouting, shed hunting, cutting firewood, etc. and it's easy to stop at a gravel pit and bounce some reactive targets around. I carry the handgun with me. I don't like leaving guns in the vehicle while I'm off pursuing other activities.

When shooting a rifle, I usually have the portable benchrest, target stand, sandbags, etc. If it's a shotgun trip, then there's the clay throwers and boxes of clay pigeons. The exception of course is when I'm hunting, but I don't usually do a lot of shooting while hunting. Besides, I do a lot of my hunting with a bow.

I shoot em if I like shooting em. Sometimes I keep em even though I don't shoot em because I think they're nice to look at or hold. They tend to get used in high volume at low frequency, as in I'll shoot the heck out of a gun then leave it unshot for a few months or even a few years before a shoot it again. Like rekindling an old flame

I'm shooting less and less these days. So much of the pew collection doesn't get out. To answer the why question: significant loss of interest, massive time constraints due to an insane degree of life matters, crap weather. In pretty much that order.

In roughly order:

• By far the most: Large, double-action revolvers. Mainly in .44 Magnum, but occasionally .357. I find it enjoyable to shoot bowling pins, metallic silhouettes, spinners, et al., with both Specials and full-house loads.
  • Occasionally: Machine-guns. A little rock and roll can be fun, though it is just from time to time.
  • Occasionally and not enough: two carry pieces (Walther PPK and a J-frame sized snub). Not for fun, just practice.
Like to:
  • I would like to go out shooting with wife and kids, together or with just esposita. Perhaps when the weather clears.
  • Get the kids more formally trained; both from me and their mother, but perhaps more organized training or events.
  • Put together better secure storage.
  • Jettison anything we aren't using and putting the funds in savings/investments. I've been taking a good, hard look at a few already. Most of the unneeded doodads have been flushed, but a second pass wouldn't hurt.
  • Oh, and I heard my M1 Garand antics are a go. More later. :s0165:
Overall, quality over quantity. Right-sizing. And looking forward to sunnier days, in more ways than one.

Unless you know something I don't there are no Prarie dogs in oregon. I think Colorado is the closest state and I've seen them first hand in South Dakota. Never had the chance to squeeze the trigger on one....yet

It depends on what I've watched on TV. If I've stayed up late on a Friday night watching Westerns, chances are I'm headed out and will shoot Winchesters and SAA Colt knock offs. If I've watched Black Hawk Down, you know I'm going to the woods with AR's, AK's and .45 ACP pistols. Green Berets? M1 Carbine and a 1911. Fortunately I reload for all the guns I shoot often. Good thing because I shoot a bunch.

That is my rotation. Not scientific but pleasurable!

Newbie still likes to shoot but is tapering off.

100% of collection (less some 70-80 year old inherited pieces) are shot annually.

I recently started a 3 ring binder to keep track of the dates I shoot each firearm, how I liked it, did it cycle? and accuracy.

More bing bangs on the way so I will have to stay active with it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA
Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top