JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I like the range a lot, always have a good experience there. The gun shop looks like it might be going slowly out of business, the stock seems to be dwindling and not being replaced: every time I roll through after hitting the range there's less to look at over the last few months. The gun cases are getting thin, real thin.

A buddy of mine used to be close with a guy who used to work there. Not sure it's kosher to name names. Anyway, my friend said since the guy left, they don't get a lot of the guns they used to. Also, since WA started hitting gun buyers with sales tax on other purchases, that may have hurt some business as they don't do out of state transfers anymore.

Raised range prices about 25% - pretty fair hit. Dropping all reloading equipment and components. Still a pretty good selection of rental guns and friendly people. Folks probably need to say something if they really want a store to carry certain items so the management/ownership is aware.

Sam's has been going downhill for some time not. The store has less and less for sale every time I drop in. I refuse to shoot there anymore because if I want to get insulted I could go visit my ex-wife. They have one RSO, supposedly an ex-Cop, that has the personality of a hacksaw blade.

As for buying a gun there, make sure that you have lots of time. Usually only one person there to do it all from showing the gun, overseeing the paperwork, calling for approval, and waiting on all the other customers. Last purchase there took over 2 hours all because of having to wait for one person to do everything. Compare this to a purchase from another, fully staffed store, that took 30 minutes total.

Sam's is no longer on my list as they've become a waste of time.

I was a member and regular at Sam's when Sam was still alive (RIP). The staff that took over, ran the place very well for a few years afterwards. Now that they have left, it seems like the place is always dark, nothing new and interesting is coming in, the people manning the counters also seem to be a bit below par, and slow.

Too bad, there was a time that it was THE range/shop to go to.

i went there for the first time a couple of nights ago. Very unfriendly dude behind the counter, dang he even looked like a hobo. He wasn't so friendly when we asked if we can zero in a 5.56 rifle. After that experience and seeing the range, i would rather get a membership on a couple of other ranges that we checked out after leaving Sam's.

I went recently to Sam's after living out of state for about 5 years. It used to be a friendly place that was military-friendly. Not anymore. I cannot shoot rifle there unless I am a member (I do not shoot often enough to justify that), take their rifle safety course, or be active duty Coast Guard only. You have got to be kidding me! Only active duty Coast Guard to shoot rifle...I guess my Navy M-16 qualification does not mean anything. I probably will not go there again, and will pay more to go to Norpoint, which is closer anyway. Stay away... Unless you are active duty Coast Guard...

deadshot2 pretty much had the same experience that I did. That fellow is a jackass of the lowest caliber. I was pretty tolerant because everyone else treats me fine, but when he made some crack about a .45 in my skull with my wife present, she was fit to be tied and banned us both from there.

The whole barrel has been ruined by one bad apple, and to make matters worse, they leave him there.

My only other concern isn't something they have a lot of control over. They get a lot of Asians from Canada there. These folks have absolutely no real exposure to firearms other than the movies, which isn't good. They don't read the four rules all over the walls, and apparently the counter folks don't stress them to that customer group. Therefore you see them waving guns around, pointing them at each other, often with mags inserted, and that freaks my wife out big time. Dealing with this behavior after the fact could be resolved by dealing with it before the fact.

My wife has never felt welcome in any part of Sam's.

My wife has never felt welcome in any part of Sam's.

That's too bad as when "Sam" died, his wife took over the operation. As far as I know she's still in charge, overall. If she is, maybe she needs to know what a bunch of jerks are running the place into the ground. If she's not, then that helps explain what's going on.

That's too bad as when "Sam" died, his wife took over the operation. As far as I know she's still in charge, overall. If she is, maybe she needs to know what a bunch of jerks are running the place into the ground. If she's not, then that helps explain what's going on.

This would be another case of a wife "inheriting" her husband's business and allowing the employees to run it with her as the titular head. It rarely turns out well, and attempts to point out the issue rarely work.
That is indeed a shame, but for many, the only way some realize they have a business model problem is when the checks start bouncing.

This would be another case of a wife "inheriting" her husband's business and allowing the employees to run it with her as the titular head. It rarely turns out well, and attempts to point out the issue rarely work.
That is indeed a shame, but for many, the only way some realize they have a business model problem is when the checks start bouncing.

The guys working at Sam's are not the blame for the problems at Sam's. The blame is the owner who does not care about the business. She ties the hands of the guys for ordering. She puts nothing back into the business as far as product or maintance. If you have a gun on consignment there call to see if it has sold and get your money. The best thing is to get your consignments out of there. Took me two months to get my check. As far as the one range person that everyone has had a problem with just boycot the place for a while and write a leter to the owner Betty Brown about him and why you will not be back until he is gone. Heard she is selling so lets hope a new owner turns the place around.

The guys working at Sam's are not the blame for the problems at Sam's. The blame is the owner who does not care about the business. She ties the hands of the guys for ordering. She puts nothing back into the business as far as product or maintance. If you have a gun on consignment there call to see if it has sold and get your money. The best thing is to get your consignments out of there. Took me two months to get my check. As far as the one range person that everyone has had a problem with just boycot the place for a while and write a leter to the owner Betty Brown about him and why you will not be back until he is gone. Heard she is selling so lets hope a new owner turns the place around.

Believe me, Betty already knows about this person. Has for some time but he's still there.

As for the possibility of a new owner, that's fantastic news. Hopefully there will be a housecleaning.

I live 5 mins away from Sams and have been going there the last few weeks to put some miles on my Shotgun, however, STARTING AUGUST 6TH, 2011 THEY WILL NOT ALLOW SHOTGUNS AT THE RANGE ANYMORE. Some yahoo apparently came in with their semi-auto shotgun and shot up the ceiling, floor and target rails, Betty is no longer allowing it. Now I'll have to go somewhere else to shoot my shotgun.

Anyone suggest a range in the (Washington) South Everett, Mill Creek, Bothell, Mukilteo area?

Also, can anyone tell me about how things work at Kenmore Range?

Thanks!

That's good to know. I didn't know they were changing the rules yet again. I was there last Sunday and the counter guy was pissy/negative with everyone and trying to demonstrate a rapier wit (and showcased a singular.)

I like Kenmore. More variety that you can use, although I've only gone as a non-member and I believe it's one firearm per person if you're a non-member. The range itself is nice, they do focus on safety, and although their signs everywhere say "load one round at a time" as long as you're not trying to pop off a bunch of rounds like a movie (1 round every two/three seconds in semi-auto rifles seems okay with them) then you're golden.

How much does it cost to drop in at Kenmore as a non-member?

<broken link removed>

$11 per shooter, $2 per extra gun on Rifle, no extra for more guns on Pistol

Hours are posted here:

<broken link removed>

Rifle range is limited to 100 yards for public, 300 yards for Members with Special Use permit.

Membership is reasonable. $200 "One Time Initiation Fee" plus $125/year. Once past the first year, anything over one trip per month is essentially "Free". Quicker if you're like me and take several rifles.

Members also can get "Special Use" and then shoot at ranges up to 300 yards anytime from 9:01 AM til dusk. Get a key for the front gate and shoot when range is closed to general public. Be your own "Range Nazi". Still have Range Rules to follow, you just don't have some personality challenged "yutz" annoying you.

For the "special use" of the 300 yard range (assuming membership) do they have any caliber restrictions?

I'm sure I know the answer, I'm just going to hold out hope.

For the "special use" of the 300 yard range (assuming membership) do they have any caliber restrictions?

I'm sure I know the answer, I'm just going to hold out hope.
No BMG 50 is that's what you were asking. Lots of 30 cal, 7mm mag, and some .338 Lapua Magnum shooters there but none of the Elephant Gun category.

Basic rule is that no caliber using a cartridge case that started out in life as a 50 BMG can be shot on the range. Don't know about the Barrett 416. Let's face it, the range is in what is now a fairly well developed area. The "Range" doesn't want to risk having a round drop in someone's upstairs bedroom 3 miles away.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top