JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nice shooting Mike! I have never got 3 to touch yet, I've got as close as you can get no doubt.
Me neither! I can't help but think that I shot just the same, but missed that close? o_O Going to the range today to test the new muzzle device, or, as "Swiss Products" call it, a "Pressure Diverter".

Welcome...
One thing you might try is have someone else load the magazine or whatever you're using at the time.
Load some live rounds and some snap Caps... You don't know what they are but it helps teach proper trigger control/
Breathing and overcoming flinch if haven't already... Good luck!

Welcome...
One thing you might try is have someone else load the magazine or whatever you're using at the time.
Load some live rounds and some snap Caps... You don't know what they are but it helps teach proper trigger control/
Breathing and overcoming flinch if haven't already... Good luck!
We do something similar. Buddy hands you the rifle when you are ready to shoot, you don't know if one is chambered or not.

Typical acceptable accuracy at 200... 5 shots

230.jpg

Mind blowing! At 200 even! I hate you, great shooting bro! Still hate you.
JK!!
Thank you, doesn't come easy or cheap...
Former firearms designer/manufacturer, so it's a bit unfair. Not something the average person is capable of...
However there are many things that can be done improve yourself or equipment with less cost.
The rifle that shot that group and many like it are thousands of dollars.
Smaller caliber setups tend to be easier to make accurate, flat based bullets tend to be less finicky and often easier to load accurately for, especially with a muzzle brake...
Think of the rifle as a tuning fork, changing your load changes the timing of things moving around pressure waves... And only try one thing at a time, take good measurements and try and stay as consistent as possible.

Think of the rifle as a tuning fork, changing your load changes the timing of things moving around pressure waves...
You brought up an important point.
The barrel vibrates in a roughly circular motion with "nodes" in its pattern(s).
When we can get the bullet to exit the barrel while the barrel is at the same place in its pattern then accuracy is enhanced.

Former firearms designer/manufacturer, so it's a bit unfair. Not something the average person is capable of...
However there are many things that can be done improve yourself or equipment with less cost.
Smaller caliber setups tend to be easier to make accurate, flat based bullets tend to be less finicky and often easier to load accurately for, especially with a muzzle brake...
Think of the rifle as a tuning fork, changing your load changes the timing of things moving around pressure waves... And only try one thing at a time, take good measurements and try and stay as consistent as possible.
You words do not fall on deaf ears. I have been thinking about what you said and I have managed to scratch up 33 of 200g Nosler Accubond. Still a boat tail I know, but it's a shorter boat tail compared to the 200g ELDX. I would like to know your thoughts please? Not looking for pin-hole accuracy, I would be happy with under .75" at 100 yds. Where my brothers and I will be elk hunting this year there will hopefully have opportunities to shoot at 300-500 yds. My "under pressure"limit lies between the 250-325 yds range, but I will be honest I would try a farther shot given the time to set up.

IMG_2044.jpeg

You brought up an important point.
The barrel vibrates in a roughly circular motion with "nodes" in its pattern(s).
When we can get the bullet to exit the barrel while the barrel is at the same place in its pattern then accuracy is enhance

You words do not fall on deaf ears. I have been thinking about what you said and I have managed to scratch up 33 of 200g Nosler Accubond. Still a boat tail I know, but it's a shorter boat tail compared to the 200g ELDX. I would like to know your thoughts please? Not looking for pin-hole accuracy, I would be happy with under .75" at 100 yds. Where my brothers and I will be elk hunting this year there will hopefully have opportunities to shoot at 300-500 yds. My "under pressure"limit lies between the 250-325 yds range, but I will be honest I would try a farther shot given the time to set up.

View attachment 1865546
Hard to offer anything very helpful without knowing all the specifics and what tools you have to work with, powder , primers, what gun, stock, barrel, and the like. Seems like the accubonds didn't like to jump a whole lot, so seating closer to the lands might help a bunch. Some chambers won't allow that, too much freebore.
Don't chase velocity, look for small deviation nodes.
With only 33 bullets, you're not going to be able to do much load development. Hopefully you have some powder that's not temp sensitive.
Use good brass that was fired in the same chamber.
Do you have load Data?
Sorry I can't give you anything concrete, just some thoughts...

Hard to offer anything very helpful without knowing all the specifics and what tools you have to work with, powder , primers, what gun, stock, barrel, and the like. Seems like the accubonds didn't like to jump a whole lot, so seating closer to the lands might help a bunch. Some chambers won't allow that, too much freebore.
Don't chase velocity, look for small deviation nodes.
With only 33 bullets, you're not going to be able to do much load development. Hopefully you have some powder that's not temp sensitive.
Use good brass that was fired in the same chamber.
Do you have load Data?
Sorry I can't give you anything concrete, just some thoughts...
I am educated in loading, and have a basic setup. I am very slow and technical. I will be using H1000 REM 9/5 mag primer, peterson brass. Must likely going to use the "Eric Cortina" method of finding the lands. I will load 10 rounds in .3g increments and shoot groups of two through a fouled barrel. After all 10 are shot I will look at point of impact as nd velocity to determine a possible node.

I am educated in loading, and have a basic setup. I am very slow and technical. I will be using H1000 REM 9/5 mag primer, peterson brass. Must likely going to use the "Eric Cortina" method of finding the lands. I will load 10 rounds in .3g increments and shoot groups of two through a fouled barrel. After all 10 are shot I will look at point of impact as nd velocity to determine a possible node.
Looks like you're figuring things out in a good way, and have a proper mindset. I've never met Eric, however he's a competition shooter as you know and those guys are always trying to gain an edge, doing lots of experimenting. Very expensive and time consuming, excellent source of information!
However he's also a business man and trying to make money so... Use caution!
I'm sure you'll be successful and I wish you well!

Looks like you're figuring things out in a good way, and have a proper mindset. I've never met Eric, however he's a competition shooter as you know and those guys are always trying to gain an edge, doing lots of experimenting. Very expensive and time consuming, excellent source of information!
However he's also a business man and trying to make money so... Use caution!
I'm sure you'll be successful and I wish you well!
Appreciate you! Safe travels and safe shooting…

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top