JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Went to Scappoose today,talked to pretty knowledgable fella there named Michael. He said that more long guns and handguns are on order and will be coming,and more scopes too.I'll go back in a month and check it out again.
bought a few things from his dept. while there,jut for the heck of it.
Lived in Scappoose a few years back and NOW they get guns. dang.

Nice i work for fred meyers alaska has them already bout time we did too needs to get down to salem tho so i can use my discount=).
And when you work for a company likes fred meyers its nice to be forced into a union some managers like to strut their stuff a bit much so yeah.

so, someone trots out the tired and overworn mantra about WalMart's "rotten labour practices".... hah. They play games, for sure... but if you think the other places don't (Safeway, Home Cheapo, Best Buy, Mac Donalds, Winco... you're living on another planet. Read the statistics of "what happens to the neighbourhood" whenever a WalMart comes to an area. In EVERY case, the standard of living for several miles round about goes UP.....

now, customer service is another matter..... part of their low price structure. But, I get the same at Harbor Freight, Home Cheapo, hey, sometimes even Kohl's. It got so insulting at KMart I refuse to enter their stores any more.

Freddies used to be a great Northwest owned outfit.. but they got bought out a few years back by Krogers.... and have gone downhill in some ways.. higher prices, let go some of the great brands they used to carry. A lot more junk from China.....

BUT-- if they're getting into firearms and ammunition, I'll certainly give them a fair shake. Hey, I can't find what I'm looking for anywhere else, if they've got a full stock, and have what I want, their price could be considerably high and I'd still buy..... last four times I've been in a Bi Mart, they've had, out of the fifteen calibers I use, precisely NOTHING for me.... and trust me, I've avoided the oddball, wierdo, esoteric rounds. Pretty mainstream stuff, and they had NOTHING........

I'll sure give Freddies a shot..... about the only things I've been buying from them have been diesel fuel, and Tom's toothpaste (no one else carries the large tubes...... so they get my money)

Just my 2 cents....

Best part of this is that if Freddy's is now selling handguns, Bi-Mart will likely follow soon. Good stuff!

And the bonus....
The more competition, the more likely it is to bring, or at least keep, the prices down.

So our only worry is:
Will the ammo for our guns be available, and/or will we be able to afford it? :confused:

Just my 2 cents....

Best part of this is that if Freddy's is now selling handguns, Bi-Mart will likely follow soon. Good stuff!

And the bonus....
The more competition, the more likely it is to bring, or at least keep, the prices down.

So our only worry is:
Will the ammo for our guns be available, and/or will we be able to afford it? :confused:

As with another poster I would prefer to buy from Bimart. That would be great if Bimart started carrying handguns since Freddy's is.

Fred's of today was bought by a very old chain market stores that was in business in Wisconsin many moons ago. Orginally owned was non union with low pay and only some depending on hours worked had benefits and medical.
They are union now, and other than Mom Pop Stores, unions are present in all forms including government. Not a fan, but all that is left, that is not union, the employees are throw away items. Good for Freds. Their moving into this area, has kept gasoline from local stations prices in line with the rest of the state. It will be interesting what effect it will have with firearms!

One little tip if your in the market for a new firearm. Those savings certificates that Fred Meyer has in their ads about every other week until Christmas do not exclude firearms.

Watched a customer a couple days ago at Scappoose pick up a Ruger MKIII get $30 bucks off with his coupon and a free $30 turkey in the process.

That right there is some cool stuff! My short list is a XD 9 under my christmas tree with a free turkey roasting in the oven!:s0155:

Their firearm prices seemed inline with other retailers such as Bimart and Walmart, but with handguns Fred Meyer blows the rest out of the water. I don't ever recall seeing handguns in the other big box stores?

One little tip if your in the market for a new firearm. Those savings certificates that Fred Meyer has in their ads about every other week until Christmas do not exclude firearms.

Watched a customer a couple days ago at Scappoose pick up a Ruger MKIII get $30 bucks off with his coupon and a free $30 turkey in the process.

That right there is some cool stuff! My short list is a XD 9 under my christmas tree with a free turkey roasting in the oven!:s0155:

Their firearm prices seemed inline with other retailers such as Bimart and Walmart, but with handguns Fred Meyer blows the rest out of the water. I don't ever recall seeing handguns in the other big box stores?
-------------------------------------
Well, Kudos 2 Freddy's then!
:s0155:

Does anyone know which stores specifically will start doing this? I somehow just do not see the Hollywood Fred Meyer selling guns. :)

I'm with you! My closest Freddies is 39th and Hawthorne... and I'm guessing that no matter how much I wish for it, they won't get on the list until almost last :)

El Gringo Loco, I'm with ya... You are being a little "assertive" with the hypocrisy, but yeah, I'm with ya :)

Usedto be Fred Myers in Bellingham sold ammo and some guns, but when Kroger bought them that went out. On unions, I think some of the anti-union people should take a look at US labor history before unions were allowed, might suprise you the benefits that unions over the year have provided the non-union labor force. Back to guns and ammo, I think Kroger is maybe seeing the light about one of the things that was attractive about Fred Myer, you could always pick up your hunting needs there, ammo being one of them. It's called competition from, like Walmart selling guns and ammo. Spad

The best news if FM does this well it helps put firearms back in the main stream a bit Walmart has always done it but at least in WA they don't sell handguns. I like any store that helps firearms back main stream.

FM doing this even as a test market is a big step forward. The tide might be turning a bit, considering the **** the anti gun people will rain down on FM, they must see there is a profit to be made and can draw in more customers by adding firearms to the products offered. I only go to Walmart when I'm looking for ammo and often buy more than ammo while I'm there. Sounds like FM might understand this. I emailed FM via the above link and thanked them for making this step.

Anyone remember the coast to coast stores. Loved that place. Got my first couple of rifles there. A 22 and 20 gauge shotgun. Stop in after school with some friends and pick upsomeammo and go shooting. Good times.
I am sure it is more of a profit thing for thestore but they are also making a statment to the average person that shops there also.

I remember Coast to Coast! As a kid I would stand there looking at all the pistols under the glass counter as my Dad paid for his items. I would get mad if he paid too quickly! :) I think there is only one Coast to Coast left, and that was in Vernonia. Have not been out there in years though, so it has likely shutdown by now.

I bet they decided to enter the market because of Joe's closure. Either way. it's good to see more retailers sell guns & ammo, even if i may never buy it from them.

One question - is their selection of rifles the regular hunting stuff or are there milsurps and semiauto centerfires?

Same here. Fred Meyer is part of an international conglomerate. Bi-Mart is an employee owned Pacific Northwest company with 72 stores. They have been good to us by carrying guns and ammo when it wasn't PC, and by not price gouging.

Not to bash Bimart, but they ain't blameless on the PC thing. They used to sell handguns and true blackpowder also, but bowed out due to political and financial pressure (mainly due to insurance rates VS profits, just like Freddies). IIRC this was about the same time Freddies quit selling firearms altogether.

Like I say, not bashing Bimart (which I prefer to shop at), but just being fair.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top