JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Seems like the Brookings store has been up and running for some time now.
Excellent inventory of firearms. They are on the high side of retail. I can only recall a single advertised sale in their newspaper sales pages. Not bad on selection of ammo, but also on the high side, so it's a toss up due to a dry spell on most calibers. It seems like much of the ammo hoarding may be slowing down. They could use more experienced clerks in that department, and some reloading supplies would be nice!:D

fred meyer has sold guns for along time , but i think it is in specific areas.when i lived in alaska all the fred meyers carried handguns and rilfes.

Watch for home department coupons, sometimes they can be used in the gun section. Think I used a 15% of coupon on my last purchase. It just said all home products excluding clearance, and the gun department is included in the home department. Might be worth a call. Also, they can order just about anything you want. Stop by the Fred Meyer booth at the next outdoors show and they normally give out vouchers for $ off as well. It is important to show support for this rare corporate pro gun movement, by that I mean more stores selling firearms, with our dollars. As long as it makes business sense it will keep moving.

I live in the Scappoose area, and that store was one of the first Fweddys to start selling guns. They have a pretty decent selection of guns, but their ammo selection is limited.

If I had any criticism of how they do it, it would be the practice of using clerks who know how to run a cash register, but not necessarily know anything about guns. In our local store, when they page for customer assistance in guns, it is the guy from the paint and hardware department that shows up. I've heard him give some really crappy and outright incorrect information to naive customers who don't know what they want. I'm not sure who in the store has the FFL, but they should try to get a sales clerk who knows something about what they are selling. Perhaps some other stores are better staffed.

I live in the Scappoose area, and that store was one of the first Fweddys to start selling guns. They have a pretty decent selection of guns, but their ammo selection is limited.

If I had any criticism of how they do it, it would be the practice of using clerks who know how to run a cash register, but not necessarily know anything about guns. In our local store, when they page for customer assistance in guns, it is the guy from the paint and hardware department that shows up. I've heard him give some really crappy and outright incorrect information to naive customers who don't know what they want. I'm not sure who in the store has the FFL, but they should try to get a sales clerk who knows something about what they are selling. Perhaps some other stores are better staffed.

I have had the same experience, though they are always polite. Of course, you get the same thing at Wal-Mart (which I refuse to shop at), and Bi-Mart.

I used to work fro Freddy's as a unix admin during the late 90's. I remember in late 1999 and early 2000 when krogers bought them out - it is my beleif that the parent company Krogers stopped the sales of firearms and ammunition. I quit working for them as the reason Krogers bought Freddy's out is to increase thier financial standings. I am always amazed as to why a one company buys another company that is successful and then changes the successful company's business plan. Just kind of makes you question the logic.

James Ruby

I used to work fro Freddy's as a unix admin during the late 90's. I remember in late 1999 and early 2000 when krogers bought them out - it is my beleif that the parent company Krogers stopped the sales of firearms and ammunition. I quit working for them as the reason Krogers bought Freddy's out is to increase thier financial standings. I am always amazed as to why a one company buys another company that is successful and then changes the successful company's business plan. Just kind of makes you question the logic.

James Ruby

My wife currently works at FM Corporate, and she has nothing bad to say about the company, and has repeatedly said Kroger is, for the most part, leaving Fred Meyer alone because it's such a profitable division. Kroker is even copying the FM business model in other markets. I suppose any company as large as FM/Kroger will have issues, and that there will always be people that don't like it.

Fred Meyer is not dropping gun/ammo sales as a matter of policy. I know Scappoose FM has guns/ammo, and many of the Alaska stores do also. The more 'rural' stores are the ones that will/do have guns/ammo for obvious reasons. I don't know how their prices compare, but I would assume they aren't 'discount.' It's also my understanding that the gun/ammo sales are handled by an independent contractor that rents floor space from FM. To the customer, it looks like FM has a gun/ammo section, but it's actually a somewhat seperate entity.

I really enjoyed working at Fred Meyer's - I implemented the automated drug order system - when you call in a to refill a perscription and rolled it out to all the stores Ralph's, QFC, SMiths and and of course FM's. There were two reasons I left - all of our management was begining to come out Cincinatti Ohio which was poor in my opinion and secondly I did not like thier politics, eventually I would have had to leave because the IT was moved back to Ohio as well.
I will be looking at their guns if they are competetive - if not then I will look else where - they must be able ot compete with Bi_Mart befoer they get my dollars.

James Ruby

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads