JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
From yesterday:

The Royal Turks and Caicos Islands Police Force on Wednesday confirmed Ryan Watson's arrest, saying the 40-year-old Oklahoma resident appeared in magistrate court Wednesday, when he was charged with one count of ammunition possession. He was also granted $15,000 bail under the condition that he does not travel outside the islands without the court's permission, he surrenders his passport, he reports to the Grace Bay Police Station on Tuesdays and Thursdays and he resides at a specific address.

I have heard a second-hand account of an American arrested for unintentionally bringing a single round of .22lr into China. Allegedly the US embassy was able to arrange for their release in about 48 hours. Doesn't sound like fun though.
Was it this one?

I spent an extra 35 minutes at the Sydney airport in 2013 while security staff relentlessly searched for a nail clipper that showed up on the X-Ray of my checked luggage. Every time they moved the luggage it shifted position inside. Eventually one guy just used his fingertips to feel around, pinned it in place, and then he and his mate spent another 5 minutes minutely examining the sewn seams to see where it had slipped through the inside lining. I was exasperated, but had the grace to thank them for not slashing my luggage to pieces to corral the nail clippers.

Around 2015 I was in Mexico for 3 months doing volunteer work at an orphanage and found a single 9mm round in my suitcase when I started packing to go home. Buried it in the ground as I calculated the potential consequences of discovery by the Federales far exceeded the value of a single round.

I find it ridiculous that four cartridges could cause someone to sit rotting in a bubblegumhole prison in a country controlled by a, so-called, "Civilized" nation. Piss on them. Brittan that is.
Right? Good luck getting ahold of a firearm that could actually utilize those rounds anywhere over there. What was he going to do? Throw them at someone?

I traveled every week for over 20 years - how does one accidentally pack ammo in your luggage?
I had a flight carry on bag and a range bag
and carrying loaded guns in you checked baggage?
how does anyone today NOT know they are going to x-ray your luggage?

It happened to a boss of mine. Two 12 gauge shells at PDX. I can see it happening with the occasional traveler who doesn't have "airline only" luggage. I tend to use a backpack that gets used for everything and carry on only, but I rarely if ever fly. I love flying, but hate the TSA.

It happens because people don't have dedicated bags. They'll use a bag one week for gun stuff and then use the same bag next week for traveling...and they're too dumb to thoroughly check it. And here we are. I bet the legal ramifications of this are making a second bag look dirt cheap right now. :rolleyes:

While it is "sad" I find it VERY hard to feel bad for morons who get in this kind of bind. How Fing stupid do you really need to be to not know that when you are leaving the US, you are no longer covered by US law? While visiting a foreign country can be fun, how often do Americans have to be told not to do really stupid crap like this. When I was young used to like going to Mexico for a weekend of wild, cheap, fun. When I would take others I had a "talk" with them before we left. I said when we cross that border you are no longer in the US. Act the fool down there and I will walk away and pretend I do not know you. You will be on your own till I get back to the US and tell your family. Only one idiot got in trouble down there one time in one of the bars. Took his mother weeks to get him out. When he got back he was of course blaming everyone but himself. :confused:

I traveled every week for over 20 years - how does one accidentally pack ammo in your luggage?
I had a flight carry on bag and a range bag
and carrying loaded guns in you checked baggage?
how does anyone today NOT know they are going to x-ray your luggage?

How does it happen? You go to the range and put down your gun back and get ejections landing in it. You go off with the guys for a shooting weekend and some loose ammo ends up in the far corners of your weekend bag. Mistakes get made but itll make me be more diligent going forward. Probably not be going to the T & C either!

How does it happen? You go to the range and put down your gun back and get ejections landing in it. You go off with the guys for a shooting weekend and some loose ammo ends up in the far corners of your weekend bag. Mistakes get made but itll make me be more diligent going forward. Probably not be going to the T & C either!
I have found ammo in several bags I have ever used for going to the range. Again I was NOT trying to take them on a damn plane though. That is bad enough. When you are leaving the US that is the time to remember Mom and Dad are no longer picking up your toys and telling you how cute you are. Going to another country you CAN NOT make this kind of "mistake". Kind of reminds me of a sign at one place I used to work. On the side of a machine that could easily kill, "THIS MACHINE HAS NO BRAIN, YOU NEED TO USE YOUR'S."

I have found ammo in several bags I have ever used for going to the range. Again I was NOT trying to take them on a damn plane though. That is bad enough. When you are leaving the US that is the time to remember Mom and Dad are no longer picking up your toys and telling you how cute you are. Going to another country you CAN NOT make this kind of "mistake". Kind of reminds me of a sign at one place I used to work. On the side of a machine that could easily kill, "THIS MACHINE HAS NO BRAIN, YOU NEED TO USE YOUR'S."
I totally agree. It did happen though it shouldn't have.
But I never wear a gun vest/jacket or use a gun bag ever for traveling. Those sniffers are pretty damn efficient even if I'm 'clean'.

Last Edited:
While it is "sad" I find it VERY hard to feel bad for morons who get in this kind of bind. How Fing stupid do you really need to be to not know that when you are leaving the US, you are no longer covered by US law? While visiting a foreign country can be fun, how often do Americans have to be told not to do really stupid crap like this. When I was young used to like going to Mexico for a weekend of wild, cheap, fun. When I would take others I had a "talk" with them before we left. I said when we cross that border you are no longer in the US. Act the fool down there and I will walk away and pretend I do not know you. You will be on your own till I get back to the US and tell your family. Only one idiot got in trouble down there one time in one of the bars. Took his mother weeks to get him out. When he got back he was of course blaming everyone but himself. :confused:
Back in the day we were coming back from spring break in Rocky Point and one of the idiots with us started mouthing off to the border guards, not enough for real trouble and luckey for him they were in a "good" mood, but anyway, they decided he didn't look like the photo on his ID and they decided the issue was his one week old beard growth and if he would just oblige them by shaving it off they were sure it could all be cleared up.
The girls traveling with us didn't much care for him at that point and didn't feel inclined to help him out so he stood with a border guard asking cars going through if they had a razor he could use. :s0112:
He finally got one that I believe had come over on the Mayflower and he shaved with cold water and all the border guards standing around him making sure he didn't miss any hairs or try any fancy stuff. I think his face stopped bleeding about the time we got to Gila Bend and to no one's disappointment, he decided not to go with us the next year :)

Either way there should be zero forgiveness for this! It's not like anyone else aver makes mistakes in life or anything, lol!
There is "everyone makes mistakes" and then there is now you are looking at years in prison. Anyone who can't bother to look this up BEFORE traveling to another country gets no sympathy from me. A lot of people want to keep making excuses for this clown. He had no reason to not know what to not do and be damn careful he did not. The trip he was on was not something him and his Wife did every few weeks or something.

I've refrained from commenting in this thread but, I can see the two sides of this coin. With the way things are nowadays, the things actual criminals are getting away with and those who make simple mistakes and are being railroaded, keeps me determined to just stay in my general local anymore! Should there be a punishment, probably. But should it be years in prison for a handful of cartridges with no firearm? My opinion is no. YMMV. :)

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews