JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I know this could be a controversial topic, but where are the major and custom brands made these days (machining, and fine tuning specifically)? I'd like to stay with an American made pistol, but quality and value are very subjective. It gets a little confusing.

Dont forget the higher end STI's ...the only one i know that they offer that has a foreign made frame is their SPARTAN model. The frame is made by ARMSCORP in the Phillipines. They shoot just as accurate as their 1000+ models.

Most of the newer springfeild 1911 lowers are made in brazil. They earlier ones pre-06 i belive were made in the states. Theyre real high dollar ones are made in the us....
another company outsourcing products for cheap labor.......

DW, the 2010 models are hurt'in spendy but all machined parts, no cast and no MIM garbage, all made in the USA. Somehow I'll scrape up the dough, but none of them is in the polished stainless now I think, all either bead blasted or some proprietary finish, and I hate painted guns. The new ones have forged frames and slides.

I currently have both a $1000 USA made Kimber and a $525 Philipine made 1911. I have also owned a Springfield Armory back in the early 1990s when they sold for $400. Just from a value for the dollar perspective it would be hard to explain/justify why one is worth so much more than the other. Both shoot and look great. Both have the custom features like beavertail safeties extended thumbsafety etc. I love them both. I suspect that the labor costs in the phillipines are the primary reason that one is so much less, not the quality. 1911s are everywhere. Can't get too much of a good thing.

Where are 1911's made? They are forged by the gun gods in the clouds and they float down to deserving gunnies on tiny parachutes.:D Well, that's my opinion and I'm sticking with it!:s0155:

I suspect that the labor costs in the phillipines are the primary reason that one is so much less, not the quality.

I also have both. The Mimber has as many MIM parts as the RIA, but the RIA I bought cost me $350. The process of making small parts by MIM should make the Kimber cost a good deal less than they do.

Labor, some maybe, our government interference, yep, quite a bit of it, insurance due to a litigious society and liberal legal system, that's a large part there too.

But still, a large number of cookie stamped parts should make it a lot cheaper. They have been riding their name since they left Oregon.

I've seen MIM before, but can't find a clear reference. What does it mean?

Metal Injection Molding. MIM is less expensive to produce, VS the origional Colt parts, that were machined from solid stock. I've seen MIM parts on Springfield, Kimber, STI, Taurus. Wilson, S&A, Bul and lots of aftermarket upgrade parts are MIM.

Got it on the MIM. Thanks for taking me to school. I'm in the semiconductor business and we use IM for a variety of plastic packaging for our LEDs, so I'm familiar with the general concepts.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top