JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have access to private land in the Tioga unit. Two us have historically filled one or two tags 8 out the last 10 years. However, this year we saw zero elk. Last year the land owner was given 32 damage tags from ODF and all were filled. go figure!

Another change affecting the elk population is the current policy of the private timber companies. When they replant, defoliants are used to kill all non tree plants thus reducing the elk's natural food pushing the elk to forage on private farm land. The landowners complaints resulted in the policy change by ODF to issue more damage tags.
Bottom line, it is all about money.

IMG_4499.jpeg IMG_4466.jpeg
In the freezer, ready for the smoker……..

You probably know this if you are filling your tag more often than not, but here are some thoughts anyway...
If there are wolves in the area, Elk will change their behavior and will often temporarily move out of the area while the wolves are there.
In many areas, elk will rotate spots in a 5-7 day loop. Depending on your timing, that can make them easy to miss.
Weather conditions can effect visible sign. Was it significantly different in that area this year? This last September, I saw almost no sign at all, but we were on elk at least one elk more than 50% of the days. This was the coast and it was pretty dry. There was even a lack of fresh rubs. Not sure what that was.
I have also seen elk move completely out of an area if there is an uptick in hunting or other pressure.
Absolutely agree with everything you said, I've also noticed the elk will stay bunched up with wolves around. You see a lot less pairs and small groups, mostly when you see them it's bigger herds. Also when I've tracked elk in the snow the last couple years in high wolf population areas the elk will move almost in single file lines which I assume reduces the area where their scent can be picked up.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews