JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
If imports were blocked how did say AKs & SKSs get over here post ban?
They figured out ways to bypass the regs . 922r etc. Meeting the letter if not the spirit of the law. A lot of companies decided not to poke the bear and just stopped sending guns to the American market. FN, Daewoo, HK , Steyr etc .

Personally I believe the AWB of '94 was a diabolical plan to INCREASE the # of them to eventually create a problem that did not previously exist. . . .
I do agree that there is a "diabolical plan"; however, I do need help to understand how deliberately increasing popularity/availability of AR platform rifles (by banning them) could "eventually create a problem that did not previously exist".

I'm aboard with the concept that declaring something to be "forbidden fruit" will increase its attractiveness, and credibly blaming the AR platform for "the problem" would obviously be the goal of that diabolical plan.

I need help with seeing what that previously non-existent problem might that be. Trying to work it out for myself, I keep choking on the incredible notion that AR platform rifles will somehow cause folks to commit violent crimes at a greater rate than they always have.

I got quoted 3 times for one comment. Dang
1710957149370.png

@lucusloc , go up to any stranger and ask what they think when they hear or see the words "semiautomatic rifle" and I'll wager that at least for the under 50 crowd, it'll be mostly ARs, AKs, and maybe Mini-14/30s and not M1 Garands, M1 Carbines or Remington 740s.
Well seeing as MSRs are a sub class (and the most popular sub class at that) of semi-autos that makes sense. All MSRs are semi-atuo, not all semi-autos are MSRs.

I wasn't into guns too much at the time of the AWB because I was young then. From talking to older folks were who active in the 2A community in those days, it seems the ban caused a Streisand Effect. People get far more interested in most things when you tell them they can't have it for whatever reason.

My first "modern sporting rifle" was a mini-14- up to 5 of them at one point. At the time I was pondering a "trip" to Rhodesia to find work... Well I got thru that and sold a couple of the minis and reinvested in an M1A, some AKs, and then a Colt AR15. All the minis are long gone and the AR has replaced them.. it seemed logical for availability of parts and after-market stuff.. The AKs are pretty much yesterdays newspapers, with the (political) cut off of ammo and other supplies from China and Russian Republic... Still like em more than the Ar15s, but that's the way things are, livin in the USA.

Much like the OP, the AR/AK type of rifles offered no romance like a lever action rifle at least for me. Friends got interested in them, so I grabbed one to see what all the fuss was about.

Then I began building them with friends. Looking back, it worked out as now you can't get them in WA.

I'm only saddened that they all fell overboard in a canoeing accident...but don't pity me...LOL.
I, know, my best friends great dane ate all my 30 round PMAGS

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR