JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
I used to be a gun toting, hunting, paid Greenpeace staff member (1978-79, Park Presidio office, S.F. Calif.) liberal in my 20's and 30's

I still tote a gun:D

to be honest, I'm a gun toting liberal as well. Being a liberal doesn't mean I want my government taking away liberties.

Just got a note from a friend who works close to some of the state reps, appears the bill will be dead before it really ever gets going.

that's somewhat encouraging, but I still think it a good idea we continue to badger our elected representatives until the thing is dead and buried. then, vote out next time they stand for office every scoundrel who brought this to the legislature. Meanwhile, let ALL our reps know we will NOT tolerate this sort of usurpation of our Gid-given rights. They ALL need to be on notice this stuff is important to a large segment of their constituents, and that we WILL find out about it and take action whenever something like this is attempted. Oh, and WE VOTE.... vote our convictions.

From Senator Pridemore:
Thank you for contacting me about Senate Bill 6396. This bill would ban certain types of assault weapons. Although, I do not sit on the policy committee where this proposed legislation is currently being considered, I do have concerns about this bill and do not support its passage. I understand the issues around public safety, but as we face an historic budget crisis, the focus of this session should be on balancing the budget and not passing additional gun regulations.

Thank you again for taking the time to become educated about an issue that is important to you, and to contact me about it. We are all part of the legislative process, so I take every communication from residents of the 49th Legislative District into consideration.

I look forward to hearing from the folks here at home and welcome any future concerns you might have. Thanks again for taking the time to share your thoughts.

Craig

Here's what I received from mine:

I am a strong proponent of our 2nd Amendment rights, and do not support any legislation of this kind. I fully support a person's right to bare arms. Your comments are the kind I love to hear. Thank you so much for taking the time to contact my office, and please continue to do so should you have any questions or comments throughout session. Best, Steve

I very much doubt any "assault rifle" legislation will come to a vote. If it does, I would very much doubt I would vote for it. I haven't read the bill so I don't want to make promises until I read it but generally these laws regarding "hardware" don't much effect safety. Our society is more violent that many others, especially for such a relatively rich society. Having a violent society is the problem and until we change our culture we will not reduce violence. Sincerely, Hans

Thank you for writing. I will not support this bill. Thanks,Mike

And from a party perspective, two of three are Democrats. I will vote for all three in the next election.

But there sure are a lot of gun toting liberals who seem to vote for liberals who do want to take away our liberties, and at the very least like to pick and choose which liberties they want us to have. :D

Indeed. And why is it that they just don't seem to be able to make the connection?? :s0054:

Sen. Pridemore sent me the same as well.

I did over hear something on Lars Larson, while he was interviewing another WA State Senator (who's name escapes me.) that we can stick a fork in this bill because it is done, dead, kaput, etc etc

I got an e-mail back from both of my State Reps. Both are strongly against it and one has even sponsored some bills favoring gun rights. But my Senator only responded with a link to her YouTube video. Well, today I recieved a letter from her.

senateresponse3.jpg

senateresponse4.jpg

I think I like my district. ;)

Yeah, but what about NEXT YEAR?! (They'll be back)

Only if they get re-elected. One thing people can do is contribute money to and perhaps even volunteer some time for the opponents to these 4 Senators when they come up for re-election.

Sen. Darlene Fairley (D) 32nd District Lake Forest Park will be up for re-election this year

Sen Adam Kline (D) 37th District Seattle will be up for re-election in 2012

Sen Jeanne Kohl-Welles (D) 36th District Seattle will be up for re-election this year

Sen. Joe McDermott (D) 34th District Seattle will be up for re-election in 2012

Two of the four sponsors of this bill will be up for re-election in November of this year. Contact the Washington Republican Party <broken link removed> to find out who will be opposing Fairley and Kohl-Welles and find out what you can do to help.

Only if they get re-elected. One thing people can do is contribute money to and perhaps even volunteer some time for the opponents to these 4 Senators when they come up for re-election.

Amen to that, not only is this a bad bill it is total waste of our tax dollars and an unnecessary frustration to law abiding citizens.

We should not be supporting politicians that waste our tax dollars on social engineering experiments. Any politician that isn't 100% dedicated to bettering our economic situation or infrastructure should be gone in the next election. :angry::complain:

I just received the following from Rep. David Taylor:

This email is just to notify you that SB 6396, Assault weapons ban, has received a hearing and will be heard in the Senate Judiciary committee on January 26th at 10am in Senate Hearing Room 1. These are public hearings so you are all welcome to attend. If you are unable to attend but are still interested in watching the committee, they are all aired on www.TVW.org under "Live Programming" then "Live Webcasts."

Anyone in the Olympia area should do their best to attend and make a strong yet courteous presence. If you feel the urge to act out then you probably wouldn't help the situation. Cool heads will prevail. Lets show them our support in numbers.

Status

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads