JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So...I won a gun raffle and the prize was a Charles Daly 30-06 rifle. I have tried researching the gun a bit and do not know much about it. I believe it is a Mauser 98 rifle (which I also know very little about) so I started reading about them on various forums and they appear to be a popular action for customizing a hunting rifle.

At this point I am not sure if I want to sell it or keep it as a project hunting gun. I am not a hunter, yet, but am interested in getting into the sport.

Does anyone know much about this rifle, or have any suggestions? Any legit advice is appreciated.

So...I won a gun raffle and the prize was a Charles Daly 30-06 rifle. I have tried researching the gun a bit and do not know much about it. I believe it is a Mauser 98 rifle (which I also know very little about) so I started reading about them on various forums and they appear to be a popular action for customizing a hunting rifle.

At this point I am not sure if I want to sell it or keep it as a project hunting gun. I am not a hunter, yet, but am interested in getting into the sport.

Does anyone know much about this rifle, or have any suggestions? Any legit advice is appreciated.
Single or double trigger? From what I found on Google in just a few minutes, there is some value to these rifles. I would say average for a bolt rifle. 350-500 depending on options and wood quality etc. I think there pretty cool but I like to be different.

It's a single trigger with a black synthetic stock. I'd like to keep it considering it's my only 30-06 and like I'd like to go hunting in the near future.

Did your search results mention it being a Mauser 98 rifle?

It appears they are all built on 98 actions. There is a mini-Mauser also that I am putting on my short list to build in to a 6.5 Grendel bolt gun.

Heh, Heh. I built a .25 PPC on one of the early Mini Mark X's originally chambered in 7.62 x 39. When Remington resurrected the Mini Mauser (Model 799?), I was gravely disappointed in the finish quality as compared to the early guns made before the Czech/Serb stuff hit the fan. I hope the recent issue by Zastava has addressed this.

As to the original question, regarding a full size Mauser in .30-06, the owner has a wonderfully basic, long proven and nearly bulletproof gun upon which to enter the hunting field. Chambered in what some (not me) will argue is the very best caliber for ALL big game hunting in America. You did all right.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top