JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey - just joined recently. Already bought a rifle from someone on here. Great experience!

I'm a hunter and fisherman and lived in this state for about 47 of my 50 years. I know my way around guns just enough. Have had my CPL since I was 21.

I joined because my 3 oldest boys (I have 8 kids total - 5 adopted from foster care) and I are just starting to get into AR type rifles as a hobby. I'm kicking things off by getting the first gun to start learning the platform. Got an Aero M5 308 (so I can also hunt with it) and plan to pick up a few more in the next few weeks.

When I say we are just starting - we are complete noobs when it comes to ARs. So we are watching videos and doing some learning. But there is a lot of jargon we are still struggling with. But each day it gets a little easier. (just learned today what FDE and BCG mean...)

Anyway, here are some questions perhaps someone can help with:

1) Where can we find the best deals on ammo these days? 308 mainly. 223 will come later.
2) What ammo should I get or avoid? Can my M5 shot any old 308? Is there a less expensive plinking ammo I can use vs my hunting ammo?
3) I'm considering a suppressor. Is it still like a year long process? Cost? No idea where to start...

Thanks for any help!

Oh, and guns i'm looking for:

youth friendly 20 gauge and 410 for grouse and rabbit hunting with the kids
243 youth friendly size and weight for whitetail hunting with the kids
308 or 270 light weight hunting rifle - along the lines of a browning xbolt or Remington 700 (on the heavy end for me) for mountain mule deer
308 AR type rifles (POF 308 sub 8lbs might fit the bill for this and the above hunting rifle...)
308 scout type rifles
223 AR type rifles
Sig or cz handguns in mid-compact size for EDC

Welcome Aboard. Glad you found the forum.

This is the best place to hang out on the internet.

As to your questions:
BiMart generally has the best prices on ammo. Don't know if they are in Washington.
Any 308 ammo will work.
Suppressor tax stamps wait time has increased due to DC leadership changes. Make sure to check local laws as well. I know that WA state is different than Oregon.

Check out the organized clean ups. It's the best way to meet the community and learn where and how to use public lands responsibly.

We are doing non ODFW supported cleanups at public forests - check the North Fork Wolf Creek Road thread in resources.

If you really want to get involved in community action check out Trash No Land.

Hey - just joined recently. Already bought a rifle from someone on here. Great experience!

I'm a hunter and fisherman and lived in this state for about 47 of my 50 years. I know my way around guns just enough. Have had my CPL since I was 21.

I joined because my 3 oldest boys (I have 8 kids total - 5 adopted from foster care) and I are just starting to get into AR type rifles as a hobby. I'm kicking things off by getting the first gun to start learning the platform. Got an Aero M5 308 (so I can also hunt with it) and plan to pick up a few more in the next few weeks.

When I say we are just starting - we are complete noobs when it comes to ARs. So we are watching videos and doing some learning. But there is a lot of jargon we are still struggling with. But each day it gets a little easier. (just learned today what FDE and BCG mean...)

Anyway, here are some questions perhaps someone can help with:

1) Where can we find the best deals on ammo these days? 308 mainly. 223 will come later.
2) What ammo should I get or avoid? Can my M5 shot any old 308? Is there a less expensive plinking ammo I can use vs my hunting ammo?
3) I'm considering a suppressor. Is it still like a year long process? Cost? No idea where to start...

Thanks for any help!
Welcome.
SGAmmo.com is my favorite. There are a couple search engines like ammoseek that will check all sites for you. As for to avoid as long as its factory I have never had real concerns. I did stop buying Win White Box a while ago. I have never had a problem but I have read so many bad reports I started to avoid the stuff. Only thing I do is if its some ammo I have not tried I will order a couple boxes of something first. Make sure my guns like it before I buy a case of the stuff.
As for a suppressor its often a huge PITA. I have been hearing good things about Silencer Shop lately. That they are claiming they can get your Form 4 stuff to you in 90 days often now. Never tried them but they could be a good place to start.
You are in a great place to get all the info you need here :D

welcome-to-the-family.jpg

So then.....
Not knowing and not saying anything negative more specifically about the number of kids or your living situation. BUT, But, but.....ME, I'd keep my gun purchases to a minimum and that would also go for my stocks of ammo.

Especially nowadays. When/where kids are encouraged to "drop a dime" on mommy and daddy. If you know what I mean? Not to mention, the prevailing Govt's (Dems and Liberals mostly)....... Anti-gun/Anti-2nd A attitudes.

Note that the standard disclaimers apply.

Anyway.....
YES.....early gun education is "the key". IMHO, Tread Lightly.

Aloha, Mark

I hear ya. My kids are either homeschooled or homeschool/private school combo. None of them have been brainwashed by the liberal gov't system. And they have all grown up around guns and shooting and hunting and love it all. Youngest is 13 and will be doing his first hunt this year. Not sure what I'd be worried about anyway if it's all legal...

One of my oldest with his first buck (first deer was a doe) from 2021:
1649088696824.png

One of my twin daughters with some walleye we caught. They LOVE fishing:
1649088795354.png

Twin daughters in the yard practicing archery:
1649088892740.png

One of my twins hunting with me:
1649088933750.png
1649088962390.png

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR