JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Ad Type
  1. For Sale
Price
$1900
Manufacturer
Colt
Caliber
45 ACP
City
Snohomish
State
Washington
Zip Code
For sale is an amazing 1911 that served in both WW1 and WWII.

The serial number of 244XXX confirms a build date of approximately March of 1918.
The quality inspection stamp reflects that Major John M. Gilbert inspected the pistol. (The JGM mark is a small circular imprint above the mag release on the left side of the pistol. He inspected Colt 1911s from August 1917 until March 1918. Serial numbers in the 240xxx are documented to have been shipped at the end of February 1918, and John Gilbert stopped inspecting at the end of March).

The slide is marked with, "Model of 1911 U.S. Army" on the right side, and has "United States Property" marked on the left side of the frame.
The 'rampant colt' marking is on the rear of the slide without a circle around it, which is consistent with the early 1918 date of the lower. While the slides were not serialized, there is an "8" stamped on the inside of the slide near where there is an "8" stamped on the lower. All of the markings together indicate that it is the original matching frame and slide. The backstrap with the lanyard loop appears to be the original backstrap.

As part of the preparation for issuance for use in WW2, the dating of reworked parts points to the fact that it was reworked in 1943. Most of the factories that did this rework in the WW2 era would stamp markings of the rework factory, (like AA = Augusta Arsenal, AN = Anniston Arsenal, etc.). Curiously, this gun lacks any stamp markings from the factory that did the rework, but nevertheless, the replaced materials are period correct to fit the 1943 rework timeline.

During that work, the barrel markings show that it was a replacement from the "Flannery Bolt Co.", which was part of the Army rework program.
The slide and frame were refinished along with the rear sight being replaced with a square sight, (as was done when they were refinished).
After June 1918, the 1911s were not prepared well for bluing and were often called "Black Army" versions, which had very poor finish work. This gun was originally one that came with the better finish as it was made before June, but it was still refinished anyway as part of the WW2 preparation/rework.
The grips were replaced with units made by the Keyes Fibre Company factory (also dated to 1943 based on the inner ribs, Keyes star and 21 stamp markings inside the grips).

For some reason, the prior owner purchased a 16" barrel for it, which is also offered as part of the package.
The original magazine from 1917 was lost some time ago, but the 1911 comes with 3 Colt OEM magazines and a Randall branded magazine. The gun does not come with a case.

It can be inspected at an FFL local to the Woodinville/Lynnwood/Everett or surrounding areas. If it is to be shipped, it will be shipped to an FFL. Sale prices is $2,000 reduced to $1,899

DSC_8820cw.jpg DSC_8822cw.jpg DSC_8826cw.jpg Capture serial.JPG DSC_8835cw.jpg

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
Last Edited:
Interesting a real 1911 pistol. If only it could talk? Well maybe it can? Did you
know you can request a FOI info on a particular pistol. This is the outline. If
you state you are willing to pay they do not charge you!! I got my info from a CMP
pistol in a month. Maybe the future lucky owner might be interested. Nice pistol GLWS

Dear FOIA Team:

I hereby request any and all information found in the Army File of the Department of Defense (DoD) Small Arms/Light Weapons Registry pertaining to M1911A1 Pistol, NSN: 1005-00-726-5655, Serial Number XXXXXX.

In accordance with Section 3-6(e) of AR 25-55, I hereby state that I am willing to pay fees associated with processing my FOIA request in an amount of up to US$25.00.

In accordance with Section 3-6(g) of AR 25-55, I provide the following detailed contact information:

Name
Street Address
City, State, ZIP

Thanks in advance!

[Name]

Thanks @ron for the tip.

The pistol had a cash buyer and was sold pending funds, but then the buyer backed out due to changing priorities. So it is still on the market. There has been a lot of interest. First to come up with cash will get it!

Feel free to ping me if you want to see it in person and/or make an offer, because I don't think it will last long!

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.