JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well its getting wet outside again and its time for a new set of work boots. I usually buy 1-2 pair a year and have no problem spending money for a good pair. I work outside in a heavy construction environment and am tuff on boots as I hand dig a LOT with a shovel or sharp shooter so a steel shank is preferred. I rarely/never grease my boots and need a waterproof boot. Right now I am rotating between a pair of LaSportivas and Cabelas Mindels. I have had everything from Keens (crap) and Carolinas to Wescos and Kenetrek. Wondering what everyone likes or doesn't.

I had some Danner military issue Marine Corps boots that were the best boots I ever wore. My boys had some pairs when they got out and I got close to 8 years on those, wearing 2 days a week or so. Amazing life for a boot, I wear the heels down pretty bad.

I had Westcos in the past, expensive but the best boot I had when I was wearing them every day. I now wear some basic Catapillar brand boots, usually kill a pair a year now.

Danner Quarry's. I have worn 2 pairs in the last 5 years and love the fit and ruggedness.

I had a pair of Quarrys when they first came out. The gortex liner was garbage and the toe seperated rather quickly.

Danner Quarry
Danner Logger
Red Wing Dynaforce (USA made model)

What size are your feet?
I'm a 13 EE, all the above fit beautifully.

13 D with a low volume is best way to describe them.

I have had at least 2 pair of the Red Wing big toes and they were very comfortable but ended up cracking and leaking.

If you are not maintaining your leather boots, don't expect them to last very long. This is especially true in harsh environment use. I could get 1 1/2 soles out of my Danner boots if I greased them once in awhile. Without grease, I was lucky to wear out one sole before leather cracking.

If leather then Obenauf's seems to keep the leather protected and not crack. I'll do the outside & inside of my boots 2-3 times per year.

How Hard Core do you Need?

Hard to get better then a set of Matterhorns, but your gonna pay for that toughness!

These aren't technically work boots. But if you don't need a steel toe, I'm a fan of the backpacking/hiking MFG's as they had boots sorted out long before the military, police, and work boot crowd did...not that there aren't some good makers in those arenas now.

And if you make your living in work boots, have you thought about a custom pair that can be re-soled...like Whites or Nicks? Always. herd great things about them but don't have any direct experience.

Anyway, these are my top three and assuming they fit your feet. The best boot in the world is useless if it doesn't fit you well...

Technica (specifically the Forge)
Saloman
Asolo

I rarely/never grease my boots and need a waterproof boot.
If leather then Obenauf's seems to keep the leather protected and not crack. I'll do the outside & inside of my boots 2-3 times per year.
If you're hand digging for construction and don't grease your boots, the acidic mud in the PNW will trash your boots in short order.
+1 to Obenauf's. I also use Mink Oil. I would much rather have a well oiled boot than Gore-tex lined, any day.
Soles make a big difference, as you discovered.
I'm with you on Keens. They may make a great sport shoe, but their work boots suck arse.

How Hard Core do you Need?

Hard to get better then a set of Matterhorns, but your gonna pay for that toughness!

Oh yeah, those are military issue for Starship troopers....:s0140:

I wore a pair of Danner Ft.Lewis boots for 6 years, sent them in twice for resole and still have them out in the shop somewhere.
My next set of boots were Danner Arcadia's, this set was a POS that only lasted 1 1/2 years and the sole separated and Danner would not resole them!!!
My son buys only Danner for duty boots in the Coast Guard.
Good luck with your search.;)

Not that it will help you being you're used to the high end boots.....

I do yard maintenance and walk miles. Wet , in grass, on pavement, dirt/mud etc. I buy Walmart Brahma Defender 8" work boots. They're waterproof and last me 6-8 months. Just less than $50.00 last time I bought them.

Not much of a Walmart guy but if a boot hurts after two miles what are you gonna after three?

Go custom and for the love of god, maintain them.

I still have a pair of Whites linemans from climbing school years ago and do keep them in my trailer when I travel. They are decently comfortable when working for long periods off gaffs but suck to do anything on the ground with and are heavy as all getout. And I just don't maintain boots and probably never will. I don't expect stuff to last I just want it to be waterproof, comfortable, and have a steel or composit shank for climbing and digging.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top