JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm thinking about buying a "plinker" for summer fun shooting (targets, cans, etc.) I am a huge fan of Winchester rifles, especially the Model 94 Carbines. I was thinking of getting a used Model 9422. These rifles are not cheap, though, and would like to get some feedback from forum members on what you think. I do want a lever action rifle. Thanks.

I have one, really nice smooth actions......kind of spendy but a quality gun that will hold it's value.

Thanks for your reply, sir. I was thinking if I got one and didn't abuse it, it might be worth it in the long run. Those 9422s are as pretty of a rifle as their higher caliber brothers, imo. I've got a couple other Models 94s (a Big Bore .375 and a 30-30) and I think the 9422 will round out my collection nicely.

IMO, you couldn't do better than buying a 9422 for a .22 plinker.

As you say, they're not cheap but then again you are getting a very quality piece
of work that is increasingly sought after.

I recommend spending more and getting a pre-90s or pre-80s model in really good
condition-it will only go up in value in future.

Below is my 9422 in .22 mag. I got it at a local gun store for $700 which I thought was a pretty good deal. It has a low serial number(1973)and is in excellent condition(NRA standards grade).

WinMagMed_zpsec519db9.jpg

All the above. I passed on buying one new over 30 years ago but I remember the fit, finish and action being excellent. I did however own a Browning lever action .22 a few years later and the Winchester was nearly on par with it. I certainly agree with wanting a lever action rifle (I own three) but if you are still just looking for a Winchester keep you eye open for a Marlin 39. I have a Golden 39 and love it. It once had the distinction of being the 'best' .22 on the market and they can be found more frequently and for less than the Winchester. Not as smooth as the Winchester but definitely one in the handful of truly high quality, non-auto action .22s.

All the above. I passed on buying one new over 30 years ago but I remember the fit, finish and action being excellent. I did however own a Browning lever action .22 a few years later and the Winchester was nearly on par with it. I certainly agree with wanting a lever action rifle (I own three) but if you are still just looking for a Winchester keep you eye open for a Marlin 39. I have a Golden 39 and love it. It once had the distinction of being the 'best' .22 on the market and they can be found more frequently and for less than the Winchester. Not as smooth as the Winchester but definitely one in the handful of truly high quality, non-auto action .22s.

Thanks for your input. I've heard good things about the Marlins, too. I'll keep an open mind during my search, but I'm really wanting to keep it a Winchester family.

Ages ago a friend of mine had a 9422 that shot as nice as you would ever want a rimfire for plinking and/or rabbit small game hunting. WE used to swap occasionally so I know it shot better than my Marlin. Years later I bought one for my son and it was also as nice a rifle as you would want--functionwise. I later bought a 9417 legacy and kept it NIB to sell, which I did during the last Obama panic and made a nice profit. In between, I bought a rifle for my daughter, who decides she wanted to go to the tin can and other kid's matches at our club. Her rifle was a Henry. IMHO it was every bit as good a rifle as the Winchester in fit, finish and function. It was also available at the time and less expensive.........

Ages ago a friend of mine had a 9422 that shot as nice as you would ever want a rimfire for plinking and/or rabbit small game hunting. WE used to swap occasionally so I know it shot better than my Marlin. Years later I bought one for my son and it was also as nice a rifle as you would want--functionwise. I later bought a 9417 legacy and kept it NIB to sell, which I did during the last Obama panic and made a nice profit. In between, I bought a rifle for my daughter, who decides she wanted to go to the tin can and other kid's matches at our club. Her rifle was a Henry. IMHO it was every bit as good a rifle as the Winchester in fit, finish and function. It was also available at the time and less expensive.........

Funny, I just got back from a bike ride and stopped by a sporting good store that had a Henry .22 Golden Boy. It seemed well balanced and well made. It had the octagonal barrel which was a nice touch. I thought the "gold" plating was a little too much for my taste but would like to check out the standard model. i may go that route. The tradeoff with the Winchester is that it will only get more valuable. Decisions.

You will do well with your "speculation" to buy a 9422. (Quotes ensue as a result of my very frequent observation that persons asking questions about a particular model and inviting input VERY often have their minds made up already).

If you can afford it, this actually is probably your best choice for a quality lever .22. Henry's will get no bad press from me, other than they are NOT a Winchester, never can be, never will be. The company has established itself on its own merits, and will continue to do so.

You spoke of family. If you have children that may be coming up, I would entreat you to explore the Browning BL22. These (surprisingly) can be found very often for less money than the current Winchester craze dictates prices for a 9422. The BL22 is a much smaller, lighter gun, short lever throw (I think about 27 degrees: a finger flick as opposed to the 9422 full throw), and VERY high quality in fit, finish, barrel and accuracy. Girls instantly fall in love with it.
It's pretty.

My personal preference for a lever .22 is the Marlin 39 (in any configuration). In my 52 years experience of shooting .22 lever guns, the Marlin 39 cannot be surpassed for precision and accuracy. This gun actually held the reputation for being the very MOST ACCURATE sporting-weight .22 (of ANY ACTION TYPE) for 30-plus years. The Browning T-Bolt finally knocked it off its perch by a small margin. The drawback is that they are big guns (unless you want to pay for a Mountie).

So! Go ahead and buy that '94 you want! Then later, if you really want to see tiny, pretty and quality get a Browning. Then if you want a lever .22 that can run right behind a bull target bolt gun on the paper, get a Marlin. Your choice: but I think you already made it.

You will do well with your "speculation" to buy a 9422. (Quotes ensue as a result of my very frequent observation that persons asking questions about a particular model and inviting input VERY often have their minds made up already).

If you can afford it, this actually is probably your best choice for a quality lever .22. Henry's will get no bad press from me, other than they are NOT a Winchester, never can be, never will be. The company has established itself on its own merits, and will continue to do so.

You spoke of family. If you have children that may be coming up, I would entreat you to explore the Browning BL22. These (surprisingly) can be found very often for less money than the current Winchester craze dictates prices for a 9422. The BL22 is a much smaller, lighter gun, short lever throw (I think about 27 degrees: a finger flick as opposed to the 9422 full throw), and VERY high quality in fit, finish, barrel and accuracy. Girls instantly fall in love with it.
It's pretty.

My personal preference for a lever .22 is the Marlin 39 (in any configuration). In my 52 years experience of shooting .22 lever guns, the Marlin 39 cannot be surpassed for precision and accuracy. This gun actually held the reputation for being the very MOST ACCURATE sporting-weight .22 (of ANY ACTION TYPE) for 30-plus years. The Browning T-Bolt finally knocked it off its perch by a small margin. The drawback is that they are big guns (unless you want to pay for a Mountie).

So! Go ahead and buy that '94 you want! Then later, if you really want to see tiny, pretty and quality get a Browning. Then if you want a lever .22 that can run right behind a bull target bolt gun on the paper, get a Marlin. Your choice: but I think you already made it.

Very detalled and thought out response. Thanks for your time, sir. I am still mulling this over. I would like the Winchester but I'm thinking about the monetary difference between that and the Henry and all the ammo I can buy. I'm still not decided.

Then if you want a lever .22 that can run right behind a bull target bolt gun on the paper, get a Marlin.
Yep - my Golden 39 is capable of one hole groups - but because I will NOT put glass on any of my lever guns I will have to settle for ragged cloverleafs with my Williams receiver sight - which I consider the next best thing to glass. Unfortunately I cannot shoot my Marlin right now because I robbed the Williams off of it for my Winchester and haven't replaced it yet.

"This is RV. RV suffers from RSDD (Receiver Sight Deficit Disorder). Receiver Sights are out there, but they cost money. You can help. For a mere $37.99 you can adopt RV and cure his RSDD. Operators are standing by. You will receive a hand-written note from RV, and a picture of him, clothed in a torn t-shirt, sifting through the rubbish pile of his small rural community, looking for a Receiver Sight. Won't you help?"

I have all kind of guns. And this will be my last rifle to go. 9422 magnum legacy with pistol grip. Even though they are blackened I read all the 9422 barrels are stainless. I can shoot a group at 35 yds. into a 1'' orange sticky bull's-eye. And the little 22 magnum will do more work than most realize.

Beautiful rifle there, Medic. What year is that one?

So far my search has lead me to one 9422. It had some huge dents in the forestock and the stock and I thought it was way overpriced. Since I didn't want that one, as it was so damaged, I didn't make an offer.

This weekend I am heading over to Eastern Washington and I am expecting to find a few over there. That's where I grew up and people in that neck of the woods are more into shooting than most folks here on the west-side so I expect to come across a few examples. I'll let you know what I find.