JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.
Reactions
Winchester Model 71 348 Win. Made 1956. 1500.00. PM your trades. Would be interested in Benneli M4, AR style in 7.62x51/308. Light rust on Lyman 56 sight. I'm in Yakima

DSC00535.jpg

DSC00527-1.jpg

DSC00531.jpg

DSC00529.jpg

Last Edited:
This appears to be a very honest gun at a very good price. I had a Standard short tang of very similar appearance, and sold it for precisely that amount over five years ago very quickly to the first person who knew what it was. My reasons for selling were that I had acquired a fine Deluxe (didn't "need" two), and another reason I care not to discuss right now.

This gun would be better than money in the bank for someone who wants to "grow their wealth" tax free.

A privilege to see it here. Thank you.

Thanks for looking and your comments.
i own 5 71's and this is my only standard. I am really surprised that there has not been more interest. I have used all of my 71's to hunt with. Took a Buffalo 2 years ago, she did her job well, one shot.

KABAR I been lusting after it since you posted it. Its the same model as my dads 71 I hunted with as a kid. His had a darker wood stock on the stock and was I believe a Pre War gun. But the same Std Carbine in .348 with the Lyman 56 peep (dads had a dovetail block in the rear sight position)

if only I would find a winning lottery ticket.

This is really a good, solid, all original, uncut with original but plate rifle. The .348 model 71 is the quintessential elk rifle

Deluxe '71's, original, and in fine condition are bringing (BRINGING) $2500-3500 at this point in time.

This estimation would be for a gun that shows no wear, and the 3500 mark would be for a mint gun. Bolt peep assists toward a good premium. Super Grade swivels attached add likewise sigificantly. It should also be noted that a prospective buyer of a new '71 could order his gun with any number of excellent peep sights, not necessarily of the bolt-peep type. '71's came receiver-drilled (and factory installed upon request) for the very best of receiver sights.

The '71's have been a "sleeper" in the Winchester collector world for nearly 40 years; overlooked originally by the "antique" collectors. Persons who buy good ones have placed funds in a position better than any bank or stock. They in fact and in hand are the very best and finest Winchester lever gun ever made. Even a novice can recognize the meticulous machine and finish work to produce the gun: even on a Standard-grade rifle.

On the practical side, they represent Winchester's last best effort at competing with a gun world that was going fast toward the bolt actions and powerful cartridges. The "hidden" aspect of the '71 is that it was probably (and still is to this day) the very BEST choice for nearly all heavy game hunting on the North American Continent.

Elk hunters like to coddle themselves with the belief that the next opportunity for a big bull will come at over 300 yards, cross-canyon. They buy rifles accordingly (much to the delight of modern rifle and scope manufacturers).

Consult the guides in the business making a living at seeing big dead elk on the ground, and the story is much different. Big bulls are very most often killed at ranges easily at tapping distance for a '71 .348 with fine sights. If this consultation seems too remote, simply ask any rural elk hunter who regularly gets his bull every year.

Add the fine features of NO riding discomfort in the saddle scabbard (my experience on guiding horseback in the Bob Marshall makes this more important to myself than it might be to others) light weight carry (compared to a scoped bolt gun) and snap-shot ability in heavy timber that cannot be matched by any optic-burdened elk gun.

To sum up, it is the best Winchester. It is still applicable to modern hunting, even surpassing practicality toward the "new science" guns that completely ignore the long hours on horse neccessary to get to the big wild bulls (and very real need for quick application to kill).

Even a "shooter grade" '71 is well worth any investment from a knowledgeable hunter who has truly big game on his agenda.

I picked one up last summer, very similar to yours, made in '52. My Granddad had one in Alaska from '54 to '69, when he moved back down to Montana he sold it to a guy who still uses it to this day. I hope you find a buyer who will truly appreciate what they're getting.

KABAR, I have done what I could here to educate an unlistening populace. I also have a fine blue/walnut gun (though of modern manufacture) for sale on this venue at the precisely same price range, and a bargain as is your gun.

You must understand the predominance of this website toward plastic/tactical/gonnashootahuman. You and I are the severe minority. We hold our own, but come up short looking here for a customer base for what is quality, craftsmanship and durable hardware in the firearms field. The clientele here is significantly oriented toward "fast,now,disposable". They also seem reluctant to imagine that a firearm can not only be something to carry, handle, enjoy, and shoot (in the present and now) but return to them (or their progeny) in the future a significant more return monetarily than they placed initially. They cannot grasp that a gun such as yours is far better than any skip and skim they hear about retirement programs, gold, silver, or even real estate. (And you can't shoot gold, silver, or real estate, and the gun appreciation is TAX FREE!!!).

The good book has a reference for what you are experiencing: It is called "Casting Pearls Before Swine".

No help to you in the sale, but I pray some small comfort.

Hey everyone,

This is my first post on here, but I look forward to many more. Many of you seem truly knowledgeable and interested in the discussions at hand.

I own a quite a few guns but my favorite rifle has been the Winchester 71. My grandfather was a gun collector for most of his life; and a few years before he passed away, he gave me a like new and unfired standard 71 complete with a tattered old box matching the gun - thanks Gramp! Next thing I knew, my 71 collection grew to 6 original Winchesters - and hopefully counting.

With that said, if your 71 is still available KABAR, I'm very interested in buying it and will try to pm you my contact information.

Thanks to everyone on here for so many interesting and informative forums!

Status
This ad is no longer active. View more ads here.