JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Got this gun a couple years ago, and it has just been sitting in the safe - have not even shot it. Anyone have experience with these? I'm thinking about giving it to my son (he's 9), but don't want to get it banged up if it is considered collectible. Thoughts? :s0155:

Model 06.jpg

With out seeing it closer it appears to be in very good condition. If it has not been refinished and is in as it appears very good condition then it certainly has collectors value. It will run from 450-700.00 depending on true condition.

They are an excellent little rifle extremely durable. Being one of the most popular Shooting Galley guns of all time. I had one of these that had been shot so many times the butt stock was seriously sway back from the Thousands of cheeks riding against it over the decades and the bore looked like a metal garbage can. But it would still kick a pop can around at 75 yards.

No reason your son shouldn't be able to enjoy it and still maintain its condition. Might be a good tool to teach responsability with.

Thanks, Mark. I'm fairly certain it has been restored, so I'm guessing the value to a collector would be diminished. I'm going to teach the boy to shoot with it and have some fun. He will be cleaning it, as well as shooting!

I've had one for 51 yrs. Had a new barrel on it when i got it. Theres nothin more handy, light weight and dependable. They cycle shorts, longs and longrifles in any order and they are takedown too.

One thing to consider when handling these vintage Winchester rifles, is that the carrier that lifts the next round into battery can sometimes hold onto a shell and not lift it into position, especially a .22 short.
You can pump the action slide handle a couple of times to clear the weapon, all the while looking at an empty breech.
Pump it again, and all of a sudden you see a brass shell loaded into the chamber.
Doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it sure wakes you up.
I think that the carrier's tube gets dirty and holds onto a shell or the lift spring gets weak.
I have a really early 1906 with the octagon barrel and it's a very straight shooter and a blast to shoot, but I handle it with extra caution.

I have a 1906 22 that was given to me( I am 62 now ) when I was 12 by my father who was given it to him when he was 12 by his father and the gun was not new then. It is on it's second barrel which is shot out now but I can still hit what I aim at with it. It is a great rifle for a kid to learn on. I was shooting it when I was 7. Probably the most foolproof 22 a kid can have outside of a single shot and even then I sometimes question that. Take your son shooting with it. My son (who is now 26) is into the newest plastic fantastic guns and shows no interest in my 1906. Maybe your son will be different.

My boy definitely likes the plastic tacticool guns, but when I told him the 1906 was his, he immediately was beaming and started with the questions. He calls it the "old men's" gun. Same thing he calls classic cars and classic rock. Not a negative :).