JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I picked up one of these spinner targets the other day: Do-All Outdoors .22 Rimfire Auto Reset Spinner

It wasn't until today that I noticed the instructions say not to use hollow point ammo (only soft point), which is really disappointing because I have thousands of HP 22LR rounds on hand that I planned on using on spinners. When I looked around for a replacement, I saw that all the other options said the same thing.

I have two questions:

1) If I were to ignore this and use HP ammo anyway, would I be risking safety or just the longevity of the target?

2) Some sources online have said that "copper plated" hollow point 22LR is fine to use on these targets because the copper plating is so thin over the lead that they may as well be considered the same as soft point, at least as far as these targets are concerned. What are your thoughts on that?

Last Edited:
I can't imagine this being a problem unless they're just mild steel and for whatever reason HP bullets "smack" it harder and may therefore warp the target?

I picked up one of these spinner targets the other day: Do-All Outdoors .22 Rimfire Auto Reset Spinner

It wasn't until today that I noticed the instructions say not to use hollow point ammo (only soft point), which is really disappointing because I have thousands of HP 22LR rounds on hand that I planned on using on spinners. When I looked around for a replacement, I saw that all the other options said the same thing.

I have two questions:

1) If I were to ignore this and use HP ammo anyway, would I be risking safety or just the longevity of the target?

2) Some sources online have said that "copper plated" hollow point 22LR is fine to use on these targets because the copper plating is so thin over the lead that they may as well be considered the same as soft point, at least as far as these targets are concerned. What are your thoughts on that?
I don't know why they say don't shoot hollow points but free hanging steel is pretty forgiving. If it was a solid mount steel that is a whole different story.

I had one of these I shot over many years with all types of 22lr ammo (including hp) except real high velocity stuff like velocitor etc. Maybe they r thinking hollow point = high velocity hunting round? 9B447AF0-DB0C-4442-A39F-C0C72D889B83.jpeg

As far as ricochets go, we shoot steel with all sorts of .22lr cartridges, lots of hollow points, and a fair number of stingers. Range rules say that steels have to be out at least 12 yards, I've never had a ricochet come near the shooters from a .22. ( You can hear bits of stuff landing on the tin roof of the bay, after a run, but it's low energy.) These are 3/8" thick AR500 plates, hanging from a hook on a post. On the thinner spinners like you linked, I'd probably not want to hit them with stingers, but I don't see how plated hollow points would be any harder on them than round nose. Might be worth an email to the manufacturer to ask why?

Edit: I researched it a bit, and a lot of people/sites say hollow points or frangible bullets ARE recommended, to ensure the bullet breaks up rather than staying intact and coming back at you, but they are typically discussing heavier plates and both rimfire and centerfire. Not sure why manufacturers of thin plate targets are advising against it.

Last Edited:
Toilet paper even has a liability statement. Every company has CYA statements......because common sense has for the most part, been bred out of our DNA so they want us to believe, Frankly, a lot of our species seems to need to be reminded of things, often. oh, lest I forget the big one...the California measure 69? statement " known to cause cancer in CA" thing.

Toilet paper even has a liability statement. Every company has CYA statements......because common sense has for the most part, been bred out of our DNA so they want us to believe, Frankly, a lot of our species seems to need to be reminded of things, often. oh, lest I forget the big one...the California measure 69? statement " known to cause cancer in CA" thing.

WARNING: Handling firearms or firearms parts can expose you to lead and other petroleum products known to the State of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm. Wash hands thoroughly after handling. For more information go to www.p65warnings.ca.gov (CA Health and Safety Code Section 25249.6).
Banned_in_CA.jpg

Aloha, Mark

I don't know why they say don't shoot hollow points but free hanging steel is pretty forgiving. If it was a solid mount steel that is a whole different story.

I had one of these I shot over many years with all types of 22lr ammo (including hp) except real high velocity stuff like velocitor etc. Maybe they r thinking hollow point = high velocity hunting round?View attachment 738894

I have one similar to the one above and I've been blasting those paddles with CCI Mini-Mag hollow points for a couple of years now. Other than "lead blast" the powder coated paint off, there's been no deformation of the paddles at all.
Could be the warning may involve .22 magnum ammunition with "jacketed" hollow points like the Federal TNT rounds using 30 grain HP's.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top