JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I've been thinking about it for a while and can think of the obvious points that you can conceal a handgun waaay easier than a rifle or shotgun.

I never realized that it was such a big deal though until recently. So I am 19 and an obvious gun owner. I own a few rifles, shotguns, and a handgun that I recently purchased. Upon my rifle collection is a Hi-Point Carbine that is in 9mm. I went to my local sporting goods store to get some home defense slugs for my shotgun along with a 50 case of 9mm for my Hi-Point Carbine. Prior to having to buy it, I'd just get them from my friends dad who stockpiled them a few years back. He wasn't around the area for a few days, so I had to go to a local shop. So I'm going about talking to the person behind the counter and get my shells for my shotgun, and then ask for the 9mm. I go about and mention that it's for my Hi-Point Carbine, since I had read before that if you specify that it's for a rifle, you can purchase it. Not my luck. The clerk asks for my ID and I hand it to him knowing what was going to happen. He immediately gave me it back, and took my shotgun shells and told me to leave and not ever ask for handgun caliber rounds until I'm 21.

Why is it that I can buy shotgun shells, which are way more lethal than a 9mm, and not purchase for my rifle when I had even stated it was for my rifle. Also, he knew that the Hi-Point Carbine was a rifle since he made a remark that he was thinking of buying one.

How can you get something like that on a law ballot? I would love to be able to freely purchase ammunition for my guns. I mean for God's sake, I'm going to the shooting range and using it for home defense. We have gun laws for a reason already.

ive never heard of anyone being turned down for ammo based on age (exception: at least 18). for the record, it must have been a typo when you said you had a handgun because that is illegal and i have no doubt you only legally own guns.

I remember driving the ranch truck into town at 14 and buying 2 bricks of .22 and 4 boxes of 12ga - no questions asked... Then again that was in WY in a town of about 500 people. It could be worse - with the passel of new bs laws CA is pushing right now they are in for much worse than anything here - they will have ammo purchase tracking, an annual permit to buy ammo, no on line or mail order ammo, no lead in hunting bullets, and they are talking of banning all semi auto rifles with a detachable mag and making all mags over 10 rounds illegal immediately including the "grandfathered" ones that people have had for years.

ive never heard of anyone being turned down for ammo based on age (exception: at least 18). for the record, it must have been a typo when you said you had a handgun because that is illegal and i have no doubt you only legally own guns.

You can own a handgun at 18 you just can't buy from an FFL, private sales or gifts at 18 are not illegal.

Please learn the law before you make such statements again.

It is perfectly legal in most states for a person 18 years old or older to own a handgun and Federal law allows a person 18 years old to purchase a handgun from a private party. Just not a licensed dealer.

Please learn the law before you make such statements again.

It is perfectly legal in most states for a person 18 years old or older to own a handgun and Federal law allows a person 18 years old to purchase a handgun from a private party. Just not a licensed dealer.

Thank you! That got my blood boiling for a minute. I purchased my handgun through a private party sale and have a bill of sale copy from the original owner stating that the gun is now mine. I live in Washington if that helps clarify any gun laws for you.

I remember driving the ranch truck into town at 14 and buying 2 bricks of .22 and 4 boxes of 12ga - no questions asked... Then again that was in WY in a town of about 500 people. It could be worse - with the passel of new bs laws CA is pushing right now they are in for much worse than anything here - they will have ammo purchase tracking, an annual permit to buy ammo, no on line or mail order ammo, no lead in hunting bullets, and they are talking of banning all semi auto rifles with a detachable mag and making all mags over 10 rounds illegal immediately including the "grandfathered" ones that people have had for years.

This kind of stuff makes me scared for my future as a gun owner and a law-abiding civilian.

The one thing I took away from this;

Eff that shop. I can understand saying no to the 9mm, but taking the shotgun shells back and asking you to leave? Could have been handled much, much better.

It is not illegal to buy 9mm for your carbine, the guy behind the counter is wrong. It's like .22 ammo. My 20 y.o. son can buy it for his rifle, but not for his revolver. Yes we all know it's the same bullets, but if the store asks and you say handgun, they can't legally sell it it you. What if you had a model 94 winchester in .38 special? Most assuredly a rifle....

I'd find another place to shop.

Why is it that I can buy shotgun shells, which are way more lethal than a 9mm, and not purchase for my rifle when I had even stated it was for my rifle. Also, he knew that the Hi-Point Carbine was a rifle since he made a remark that he was thinking of buying one.

Because in the eyes of those who don't like firearms ... some long guns have a useful purpose (hunting, target shooting) .... while handguns are the tools of criminals and should only be possed by law enforcement.

This kind of stuff makes me scared for my future as a gun owner and a law-abiding civilian.

Join the NRA, GOA AND O.F.F. and your state organization if not from Oregon.
Support the fight on all levels.
Every person counts and we need to grow all of those organizations.

It is the law and most dealers enforce it. A few years ago, before the panic, ByMart had a sale on 9mm. $10.00 a box with a 4 box limit. I took my adult son, 22, with me to buy some. He was carded at the register. We have a 9mm AR so it could be rifle ammo, but it was easier for him to just show his ID so we could be on our way.

It is not illegal to buy 9mm for your carbine, the guy behind the counter is wrong. It's like .22 ammo. My 20 y.o. son can buy it for his rifle, but not for his revolver. Yes we all know it's the same bullets, but if the store asks and you say handgun, they can't legally sell it it you. What if you had a model 94 winchester in .38 special? Most assuredly a rifle....

I'd find another place to shop.

WalMart asks that question too. ;-) "It's for my .45 ACP carbine"

seems to be store policies in places for one reason or another....

What happens when I'm 18 and buy a pistol caliber carbine? 9mm AR's are kinda popular. Am I just bubblegum out of luck till I'm 21 for ammo?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top