Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Which Extended 1911 mags to buy?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by g.i. joe, Jan 14, 2011.

1. g.i. joe

g.i. joe Portland Active Member

Any experience with extended 1911 mags? Thinking of getting some to share between my Marlin Camp 45 and Springfield 1911. ProMag 15 rd seem to be the only one I have found, are they any good?

2. Dell_dude

Dell_dude Vancouver, WA Member

I've used Mec-Gar 10 round mags. They're excellent.

3. Ethereal

Ethereal Kent, WA Member

I've never gone any bigger than 10rd. the Wilson ones are great IMO, but cost more than the Mec-gars.

4. spider

spider Hillsboro Well-Known Member

I've had really good results with my Wilson 10-rnders in my kimber but my friend has a springer operator that had feeding issues with it, then he bought chip mccormick 10-rnders at the gun show, performed flawlessly in his springer, but failed to feed in my kimber. If you want to borrow one of my Wilson 10 rnders to try out before you spend $30+ a pop, just email me. Also those 15 rnd promags are garbage, never worked in my officer colt or kimber full size. Promags 40rnd drum mag worked really well but its heavier then heck and when the spring in the drum wears out your SOL!

5. g.i. joe

g.i. joe Portland Active Member

Thx bro, I'll keep that offer in mind. Good intel on the promag.

6. Dell_dude

All mine are relatively new (within 2 yrs) and all work with no issues. Are you talking about not stopping after insertion on an open slide, or slide not locking to the rear on an empty mag?

Also, just to add to this...for those unaware, Mec-Gar isn't some crappy KCI type hit or miss manufacturer. They are the OEM who manufacture mags for Sig Sauer. Quality work.

7. Dell_dude

There's a small stop on the lower rear now, about one inch from the base. Stops my mag from going in too far.

8. olyshoots

olyshoots Vancouver USA Member

I use the Chip McCormick 10 rounders and have great luck with them.

9. BK13

BK13 PNW Member

I have Wilson mags and they work fine in both my Commander LW and Gold Cup.

10. ron

ron Vancouver, Washington Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I have shot 1911's for many years and have tried all sorts of 10 round mags. The wilson mags work flawless but are too much $$$. I have been using Chip McCormick for many years. 100% reliable if you clean them once in a while. Get them with the bumper pads. They come with a filler for the gap at the end of the grip. Less expensive than Wilson

11. biggie24420

biggie24420 Beaverton Oregon Well-Known Member

I wold not trust Pro-Mag.... I had a 15 round no name brand for my 1911 once.... WASTE OF MONEY. Mec-Gar, Chip McCormick, and Act-Mag are the way to go buddy. I hear nothing but good about them and I would personally stick to 10 round mags.

12. pioneer461

pioneer461 Columbia County, Oregon Active Member

Not really "extended," but I like the Wilson Combat 8 round mags. The longer the mag, the more difficult to conceal.