JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I would not pretend to answer for the OP,, but when I decided to purchase an AR, I thought I wanted a Colt's, because that is what I carried in the war, and my brother had one, and I knew they were of top quality.

During the product development for the Leupold CQB scope, I was privileged enough to shoot with Delta Force, FBI, and unnamed black ops troops. I asked what was a very good choice other than Colt's.

Almost without exception, they recommended DPMS. I know it's not at the level of quality of a Colt's, but I was not equipped to argue with guys who make a living (and whose lives might depend) on their guns.

I will also admit that my purposes are not imagined "Armageddon" scenarios, I am not an ammo-burning stump shooter or noisemaker, and I am not a wanna-be "operator". My purpose was for a compact, lightweight carbine for Coyote hunting. Accuracy was a prime requirement, factory support reliability desirable (not possible with a "got it one piece at a time" assembled gun).

With my choice of a DPMS AP4, and predicted and expected additions of a Leupold 3x-9x Ultralight scope, Timney trigger and careful handloads, accuracy is beyond my wildest dreams. I could talk about reliability issues, but there aren't any: I tried every trick I know to make the gun fail, and it simply will not.

What Spitpatch said.
Not to mention the performance reviews and demonstrations are all above satisfactory to excellent... comparable to higher cost brand names, but at a substantially lower cost. Most intrigued with the Windham as it is the re-start of the former Bushmaster factory in Windham, Maine. High skilled workers from the former factory who put their knowledge to buidling a better gun than the preceeding Bushmaster.... with a commitment to "being the best AR in the world". And of course there is the exceptional customer service and lifetime, transferrable warrantee. Intrigues me that's for sure. With the exception of the lifetime warrantee, the DPMS gets the same kind reports re: quality and dependability. I'd like to check these "new guys" out first hand. So do you know which stores carry them?

To be honest, I don't circulate widely in the "tactical" arena, and to be more honest, I purchased mine through a jobber/networked connection just about the time of the (first) Obama inauguration (I can predict the future, but sometimes in a delayed fruition). But I'll offer this: "Contact DPMS for a dealer near you." I'm certain the same strategy may apply to the Windham guns.

Danged Spitpatch, don't let the Colt boys hear you say that, it'll ruffle up some shorts for sure, all that for a bunch less coin? :s0155:

Also as a side note, Colt has changed. Their not as Mil spec as they used to be, if you start adding parts or changing components you should be aware that some wont interchange. Pins, lowers, uppers etc, are indicative only to Colt now.

Aye brothers, I was just curious as to why he was after those specific brands. I think in this current "crisis" or "panic" market holding out for a specific brand is either going to leave you empty handed or it'll leave your wallet turned inside out.

Im probably one of the biggest fans of "lesser" brands and "economy" ARs that all those Colt and Bushmaster boys seem to hate on.

But I will throw this out there, with all the folks I've met and come to know both in the armed services and law enforcement they (for the most part) don't know all that much. I can't tell you how many times I've chatted it,up with a special forces this or that with true blue credibility and what not to prove it try and tell me one brand is better than another and somehow with their service they know more about (small arms) firearms than I. there are KEY brands/manufacturers to keep clear of (Hess/ Vulcan) but for the most part I've taken my franken ARs and bottom of the barrel ARs to hell and back along with my other favored platforms and they held up magnificently. So be assured, I'm the last to brand thrash when it comes to the "inexpensive" or "entry" rifles.

So with respect to the OP sorry for steering the thread off course a bit I just had to clarify what I meant by my inquiry as well as where I was coming from.

wyndham make a fime AR. look on you tube for a video of the factory that was done several months ago. That or a Rock River are my choices, if I can ever afford one.

Danged Spitpatch, don't let the Colt boys hear you say that, it'll ruffle up some shorts for sure, all that for a bunch less coin? :s0155:

Also as a side note, Colt has changed. Their not as Mil spec as they used to be, if you start adding parts or changing components you should be aware that some wont interchange. Pins, lowers, uppers etc, are indicative only to Colt now.
That information is no longer accurate. A number of years ago Colt went back to using mil-spec FCG pins and mil-spec take down pins, as well as a standard M16 type carrier. They are about as "mil-spec" as you're going to find in an AR right now.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top