JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Dumpsters of tech companies. No joke, I scored some high end foam from them a few times. They ship extremely expensive electronics then just toss the foam out.

Dumpsters of tech companies. No joke, I scored some high end foam from them a few times. They ship extremely expensive electronics then just toss the foam out.
+1
Option two - the memory foam off old mattresses. No, don't use it if it's soiled.
In lieu of an electric carving knife, the ceramic blades are simply awesome on foam too.

Cabelas used to have case foam at a reasonable price.

Looks as they still do:

Mind, it's just 1 2" thick sheet, so would need another one for inside the top, or a thinner one for there.

Just some general comments...

If you're going to go with foam, closed cell foam does NOT hold moisture like open celled foam does. And it's easier to cut IMO.

The thing about cutting foam, however, is that once you cut it for a specific rifle, you can't really use the case for other rifles...unless you buy additional foam sets. So some type of generic foam setup may be better.

My preference for rifle cases, however, is to skip the foam and find a soft case that will fit inside the rifle case...and especially given how much foam can cost (I'd rather spend the money on a soft case). A soft case provides ample protection, can accommodate a variety of rifles, and if you ever do travel with the case, the soft case allows you to leave the heavy hard case back at the hotel once you get to your destination. Hard cases are overkill for most situations. They're big, bulky, and heavy for most things, short of airline travel. YMMV. :)

+1
Option two - the memory foam off old mattresses. No, don't use it if it's soiled.
In lieu of an electric carving knife, the ceramic blades are simply awesome on foam too.

Never use memory foam that has too many memory's.......

For cutting foam I have successfully used a "snap blade" box knife, since the blade can be extended for a 4" long razor. Easy to follow a sharpie traced outline in the foam doing draw cuts (pulling the knife upward slowly as you move it along the line).

This knife is $0.58 at harbor freight.

C2B5CD85-04AC-4592-923E-BBC2CB1AC757.jpeg

I agree, Hardcases are a bit of a pain, I only use it for real valuable stuff. I mostly use a two rifle softcase. I have a flimsy hardcase that I throw longer guns in if I take them out.

I found Pelican case replacement foam at B&H Photo for a reasonable price. If your looking for the pre-scored foam, you'll need to do a reasonable search of the internet to ferret out the best pricing... My experience was I had to go pages deep to find what I was looking for.

If your looking just for foam, there's good advice in dumpster diving...

I bought one of those cheap closed cell Coleman sleeping pads and redid a couple motorcycle seats with it but I'd bet that would work well in a gun case. Lay one layer down cut out the second and then lay a third layer over to hold the firearm in place.

I bought one of those cheap closed cell Coleman sleeping pads and redid a couple motorcycle seats with it but I'd bet that would work well in a gun case. Lay one layer down cut out the second and then lay a third layer over to hold the firearm in place.
These are the kind you can find at Fred's? Sleeping pads in their camping section?

Yep, I'd assume so, I got mine at Bi-Mart. They had different types of foam sleeping mats the egg shell open cell and the thinner, denser closed cell. For what I wanted to do the closed cell worked well for me.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top