JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a rifle that my dad gave me back in 2000 that I want to take a bull elk with. I took it hunting for elk a couple of times, but never got a shot at a really nice bull. Now that I live in Washington, I haven't even bothered to try elk hunting in this crazy state. I think next year, I am actually going to pay the $500+ for a non-resident license and elk tag in Idaho just so I can hopefully take a bull elk wit this magnificent rifle before my dad passes.

The rifle is a pre-`64 Model 70 in .35 Whelen that is completely custom.

UCRyiJr9R6W6EGXY2tBM0A.jpeg

When you do the math, I can buy a lot of beef for the cost of an Idaho elk tag. But, the satisfaction of taking a bull elk with a rifle handed down to me by one of the great big game hunters is priceless.

Anyone else have a similar Bucket List hunting item they want to do?

Took my first elk with a loaner Model 70 from my dad. Unfortunately, that's the only elk I've taken. I am hoping next year I can get back into the woods of "home" (Idaho for me as well) and chase them again. Yes, you can buy a lot of beef for the price of that tag...last time I went I remember it being closer to $700 all-in. But you also have to remember you're getting a chance to wander alone in the woods for a week and that's worth a lot in my book.

Bucket list critters; a called in cougar with a bow is my most realistic.

An archery Kudu and a lion would be number 1 and 2, but that's just a pipe dream, as it's way too cost prohibitive for me to go on an African safari.

As far as the argument that beef is cheaper...of course it is! I work with guys that tell me that every time I take time off for hunting season. I tell them it's no comparison, as it's a completely different species of animal to begin with, and so it's like comparing tank raised Tilapia, that is fed steroids, antibiotics, and fertilizers, to a wild caught salmon on a remote river somewhere. No comparison!

A trophy Columbian Blacktail buck.

Whats so crazy about Washington you need to pay to hunt out of state? Washingtons got some great elk terrain.

Kudu for me also, but said bucket is close enough to rule out a chance of happening.
As far as gear, I'd love to do one last old school hunt with the buddies without modern trappings like radios, GPS, cell phones and such. But I am alone in that thinking, so that won't happen either.
That's a beautiful rifle! Best of luck to you filling that tag with it (and I agree to not ruling out Washington completely).
If it was me, I would be walking in the woods with it on general principles. Filling the tag with it is just the icing on the cake.

Whats so crazy about Washington you need to pay to hunt out of state? Washingtons got some great elk terrain.
I grew up hunting 20 miles from where I live now. The nearest public land in Washington with elk is about 200 miles away in areas I have never traveled. My dad and brother can barely get time away to hunt as it is and would never go with me so far away for a couple of days on the off chance I shoot an elk.

If I get one on my own and find that I can't get it out or have some other issue, they can't just jump in the Jeep and get to me to help out quickly.

Couple that with the fact that elk are so nomadic, that a herd I spend a ton of money and time on locating 200 miles away might be completely out of the area when I show up on opening day. Or the area might be completely overrun with hunters when I get there.

Being familiar with the area you plan to hunt in, and having friends and family close by is invaluable.

I know there are some nice elk in this area, but they are all on private land, and farmers around here rarely let non-family members hunt on their land, except for birds.

I grew up hunting 20 miles from where I live now. The nearest public land in Washington with elk is about 200 miles away in areas I have never traveled. My dad and brother can barely get time away to hunt as it is and would never go with me so far away for a couple of days on the off chance I shoot an elk.

If I get one on my own and find that I can't get it out or have some other issue, they can't just jump in the Jeep and get to me to help out quickly.

Couple that with the fact that elk are so nomadic, that a herd I spend a ton of money and time on locating 200 miles away might be completely out of the area when I show up on opening day. Or the area might be completely overrun with hunters when I get there.

Being familiar with the area you plan to hunt in, and having friends and family close by is invaluable.

I know there are some nice elk in this area, but they are all on private land, and farmers around here rarely let non-family members hunt on their land, except for birds.
So traveling farther to Idaho helps?

FWIW, my elk camp is 300 miles from my home. I find the same herd in the same area the past 2 years but we recently scouted this summer to find other herds to hunt if the hunting pressure is high as one year another camp shot the bull in "our" herd opening morning. I hear ya on if your the only hunter that makes it more challenging to hunt especially farther away from home... and help.

I'd love to get a decent bull elk while my dad can still hike out to see where it fell. That's my realistic dream.
My all time want to hunt is a moose hunt.

My item would be a nice 5' sidewall 10x12' cabin tent with a small stove. one with strong guy grommet holes for tying it down.Inside frame easy to take down and fold up.

My item would be a nice 5' sidewall 10x12' cabin tent with a small stove. one with strong guy grommet holes for tying it down.Inside frame easy to take down and fold up.

Not to get off subject, but we've had wall tents for about 40 years. We use it for camping all summer too. If you are talking wall tent type cabin tent...make sure your grommets are backed by seat belt type nylon webbing, as grommets pull out of canvas in strong winds. (NOT good!!!) Actually, my next one will have D-rings sewn into webbing, no grommets.

That's one of the things I'll have incorporated into my bucket list tent. That, and at least one screened window in every wall, and doors (with screens) on each end like the one I have now.

Been elk hunting, including a couple times with my dad who had about a 50% success ratio, even after he retired. Never got an elk, never had a shot, never saw even a spike - only cows.

I would like to get a decent bull - not necessarily a trophy, but something more than a spike.

Wouldn't mind taking one with my dad's .30-06 Springfield (sporterized) which he always used when hunting elk.

I would like to take a nice bison with my Marlin .45-70

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads