JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Okay. I've made up my mind regarding a lever-action rifle: I'm going to look for a Marlin 1894C in .357M / .38S. My use will be fun-plinking, fun-target shooting, and general fun. I'm not a hunter, but I may use it for varmint control, since we live in the woods in the middle of nowhere. And of course it will be a go-to for home-defense.

It doesn't look like Marlin is making this particular caliber carbine anymore, so I'll be looking for used. Since this will be my first rifle purchase ever, what should I be paying attention to in a used Marlin 1894C?

Microgroove or Ballard rifling and with or without a lawyer button (safety). I have one of the older ones (.357 carbine) with no safety and microgroove rifling. Pretty accurate with just about any jacketed bullet, but accuracy suffers with cast bullets unless they're pretty hard (Lazercast has worked well in hand loads.) Ballard rifling is supposed to be better for cast bullets, but I have no direct experience with it in an 1894. The safety is something of an abomination(have one on my 1895, didn't want it, but didn't have a choice), but it seems now a days people get the willies if a gun doesn't have anything beyond a half cock notch. Your choice in that regard.

Microgroove or Ballard rifling and with or without a lawyer button (safety). I have one of the older ones (.357 carbine) with no safety and microgroove rifling. Pretty accurate with just about any jacketed bullet, but accuracy suffers with cast bullets unless they're pretty hard (Lazercast has worked well in hand loads.) Ballard rifling is supposed to be better for cast bullets, but I have no direct experience with it in an 1894. The safety is something of an abomination(have one on my 1895, didn't want it, but didn't have a choice), but it seems now a days people get the willies if a gun doesn't have anything beyond a half cock notch. Your choice in that regard.
This is why those .22lr Marlin model 60's etc. with Microgroove rifling are so horribly innacurate with the pure, dead-soft swaged lead .22 bullets.
not.. they are magnificently accurate

Okay. I've made up my mind regarding a lever-action rifle: I'm going to look for a Marlin 1894C in .357M / .38S. My use will be fun-plinking, fun-target shooting, and general fun. I'm not a hunter, but I may use it for varmint control, since we live in the woods in the middle of nowhere. And of course it will be a go-to for home-defense.

It doesn't look like Marlin is making this particular caliber carbine anymore, so I'll be looking for used. Since this will be my first rifle purchase ever, what should I be paying attention to in a used Marlin 1894C?

Just so's you know, I had the same urge and went with a Winchester '94 in .357. It's not made anymore either.

Interested in the differences. I just decided if it was going to be newer I wanted Winchester.

This is why those .22lr Marlin model 60's etc. with Microgroove rifling are so horribly innacurate with the pure, dead-soft swaged lead .22 bullets.
not.. they are magnificently accurate

That only means microgroove rifling may be entirely appropriate for a small, low velocity, heeled bullet. Doesn't mean it's appropriate for a .357 mag level cast load.

I only have the one data point to report with my personal rifle. I can say that it didn't work very well with cast bullets until I went to a harder cast bullet. Based on my reading at the time, I wasn't the only one.

I had one at one time.
It shot really well with either .38 Specials or .357 Magnums.
Both calibers shot different , so I had to adjust the sights to each caliber.
Not so bad say for plinking but something to keep in mind for serious target work , hunting or "social" occasions.

I'd look for one with a "JM" stamp and if possible without that dumbazz "safety".
I just couldn't ignore it enough to live with ... So I sold the carbine.
I'm a bit leery of the newer production models ... too many shortcuts or poor quality control.
I'd also check for wear at the muzzle crown from "Less than careful cleaning rod use".
Andy

I had made up my mind on the same rifle a few years back. Could not find one for the life of me. Ended up with a Rossi 92 and don't regret it at all. One of my all time favorite guns. I have let friends shoot the thing, and a few of them ended up buying the same gun. I can shoot cast all day, it has a great trigger, and easily can handle hot loads. I know they have a less than perfect reputation, but mine has been nothing but perfect.

My Marin 1895 47-70 prints a 2ft group at 50 yards with cast bullets. As a reloader, this makes plinking significantly more expensive. Runs my price per round from $.20 to $.80.

Rossi_zps1bb224c4.jpg [/URL]

That only means microgroove rifling may be entirely appropriate for a small, low velocity, heeled bullet. Doesn't mean it's appropriate for a .357 mag level cast load.

I only have the one data point to report with my personal rifle. I can say that it didn't work very well with cast bullets until I went to a harder cast bullet. Based on my reading at the time, I wasn't the only one.
Generally it's a size issue.. not hardness (gigity) with the Micro Marlins.. the barrels tend to run large and shoot very well with soft lead that fits properly.

I have had these issues on personal guns...

Marlin - watch for a catch in action when going from open to close. Can lock the action open. Happens to hard used guns getting a cross groove worn into the lifter plate bottom surface where it cams over the lever point. Be sure to test any rifle you find by cycling the action both fast and slow with and without snap caps in both 357 and 38. There is also report of the "Marlin Jam" but unless it's the above, I haven't had it.

Winchester - 1894 lifter magazine cutoff failure that occurs mainly in 357. Causes a shell to be released under the lifter - a complete CF. The 94 was made for the 30-30 and IMO the 357 variant is design flawed. The snap cap cycle will show the problem. Get the 1892 short rifle, new for only $100-200 more than a used Marlin. They wear in quite smoothly and are very reliable. Wood is plain.

Rossi - based on the 1892, it has a good design, but the safety on the bolt is retarded looking and there are reports of metallurgical failure on small parts. My specimen is faultless except the wood is soft and the action, though smooth, lacks the vault feel of higher quality guns.

Henry - if you can deal with the weight and the top loading feature, great guns.

I have two Marlin 1894s. Now a days, they are up there is price due to the SASS folks. The Marlin jam (drstrangelove's post) can be fixed by a gunsmith or there is a DIY fix if you're adventurous.

That being said......

If I were looking for another. I'd get a pre-Rem-Marlin. Learn what to look for before going out there to make a purchase. JM stamp on the barrel. As for the cross bolt safety....it's not a problem to me. As for the microgroove barrel....it hasn't been a problem for me. I shoot mostly lead bullets at close range (less than 50 yards). Yup....I'm a SASS shooter.

Learn more.....

Marlin's Microgroove Barrels - Glen E. Fryxell

and about some DIY gunsmithing for a Marlin 1894....

Rifles

Since no one mentioned it. Yes, you might want to change out the firing pin to a one piece. I once had a two piece, which broke on me. BTW, the one piece is considered to be less safe. So,....you decide what you want to do. It's your rifle.

Aloha, Mark

Last Edited:
Make sure the sights are installed level. I have seen more than a few Remlin guns that the dovetails on the barrel were not cut level thus resulting in crooked looking sights (mainly the rear sight).

I had one at one time.
It shot really well with either .38 Specials or .357 Magnums.
Both calibers shot different , so I had to adjust the sights to each caliber.
Not so bad say for plinking but something to keep in mind for serious target work , hunting or "social" occasions.

I'd look for one with a "JM" stamp and if possible without that dumbazz "safety".
I'd also check for wear at the muzzle crown from "Less than careful cleaning rod use".
I'm a bit leery of the newer production models ... too many shortcuts or poor quality control.
Andy
This>>>I'd look for one with a "JM" stamp and if possible without that dumbazz "safety".
Yep>>>I'd also check for wear at the muzzle crown from "Less than careful cleaning rod use".
MOST especially THIS!!!>>>:eek:I'm a bit leery of the newer production models ... too many shortcuts or poor quality control.
Many problems plagued Marlin after Remington bought the company. The Remlins have gotten a bad rep quality-wise, as they changed plants and a lot of the old workers were laid off.. Some gunwriters have claimed that quality is on the rise now.. That's as may be. If I do ever get a safetied Marlin it will be sent off to have that unsightly safety removed. Only reason Id likely get another lever gun would be for the .45-70.:s0085:
Went the .357 route a few years ago when I thought the black guns were going to have to take a dirtnap. Wanting a handy carbine with more than 5-6 shots... mine was a nice, clean fairly accurate at less that 100 yards with 158jhp. Past 100, not so much and a lot of the shots around here involve a bit of yardage, tho granted a self-defence shoot probably isnt gonna be that far. But a pop at a deer might and I didnt trust the .357 on a deer. Sold it and invested in somethin else, dunno in what but wish Id have kept it just cuz an investment. Ever have a particular gun, didnt really take it out all that much or pay it much mind... and then when it gone you sorta miss it, no particular reason but just because it isnt with you anymore?

Last Edited:
I think Marlin briefly re-issued the 1894c in .357, but it's not offered anymore. I don't get it, because everybody seems to want one.

I've been looking around at Winchester/Marlin 1894 types of carbines as well and anything in a pistol caliber seems impossible to find and/or outrageously priced.

Did you have any luck @sigmadog ?

I think Marlin briefly re-issued the 1894c in .357, but it's not offered anymore. I don't get it, because everybody seems to want one.

I've been looking around at Winchester/Marlin 1894 types of carbines as well and anything in a pistol caliber seems impossible to find and/or outrageously priced.

Did you have any luck @sigmadog ?
I stopped looking a couple months ago. But if my wife really loves me, she found one for our 25th Anniversary coming up in a few days.

I've done a lot of shopping for a lot of different guns over a long period of time, including the 1894C, so I do keep track of the waxing and waning of prices. Last year, I bought my Marlin .357, pre-safety and JM stamped. It's pristine and I paid 900-bucks. Too much money, but the only other choice was not buying one. These are scarce and they don't become available often. And also last year, on GunBroker, I bid on the stainless version. I gave up at 1100-dollars. It sold for over 1500.

I've owned a lot of Marlins, and I believe the Micro Groove barrels are the most accurate of any of the various lever action rifles, with cast or jacketed bullets.

I've done a lot of shopping for a lot of different guns over a long period of time, including the 1894C, so I do keep track of the waxing and waning of prices.

Thank you for posting @WAYNO

$900-$1500, man that is sobering.. I think I'm just going to forget about .357 for now and look for a post-64 Ranger in .30-.30, surely those aren't too bad $$$ yet.. I'm not a serious collector, I just wanted one for plinking (fun factor) and also to share ammo w/ my revolver.

Good luck and congratulations on your anniversary @sigmadog

Thank you for posting @WAYNO

$900-$1500, man that is sobering.. I think I'm just going to forget about .357 for now and look for a post-64 Ranger in .30-.30, surely those aren't too bad $$$ yet.. I'm not a serious collector, I just wanted one for plinking (fun factor) and also to share ammo w/ my revolver.

Good luck and congratulations on your anniversary @sigmadog

There are other options.

A post-JM model Marlin with a safety. Less money. They're not as bad as many folks insist. I've never had an issue with any of them. If ya don't want a safety, that's fine, but don't let anybody tell you they're bad just because they have a safety.

A '94 Winchester in .357. Still scarce, but they sell for far less than the Marlin when you find one.

A Rossi. Rough as a cob, but they seem to make their owners happy.

And a Henry. I listed it last, only because it would be my last choice. There are however, many real fans of the Henry.

And if you could live with a .44, Marlin is still marketing their 1894 in that caliber, and I think you could get one for less than $600, brand new.

But back to the .357 chambering of any of the above guns...A very handy, low recoiling, and relatively inexpensive to shoot, option.:cool:

Last Edited: