JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Can someone clarify what passes are required where?

My understanding is that Larch Mtn is state DNR land and requires a Discovery Pass. Yacolt Burn and areas in Gifford Pinchot require a federal Northwest Forest Pass?

I want to make sure I have the correct pass for the area I am in and am not purchasing passes unnecessarily if/when I don't need them.

Hi Fate,

Well, the Northwest Forest Pass is a new one on me. I guess I haven't been to federal lands in a while. I found this info: discovernw.org

I guess it is required. I don't think it takes the place of the State land parking permit requirement of the Discover Pass. And yes, Larch Mntn is State land.

Dog gone it! Too many darn passes. I don't mind the Discover Pass, too much, because it's for our specific lands in Washington. But a another Federal tax to park in the forest? Not happy with that!

What happened to the day when....

Bill

Can't really help but here's my story.

Went to BiMart last week and picked up the NWF Pass (yearly) $ 30.00
Drove to Beacon Rock/Hamilton Mountain (from Clackamas, Oregon) and had to go Purchase the Discovery Pass ($ 10.00/day) Dang it I had to use a badly beat up ten dollar bill that I found on the trail on Mt. Hood the week prior...... Yes, too many passes needed! Gonna have to get a "SNOW PASS" for next snoeshoe trip...

The federal pass has been required for like 10 yrs but it's for parking at certain trail heads. Unless that has recently change. Unlike the discover pass you have to have just to drive on the road. And i do mind since these forests are ours not the the federal or state gov. They need to start logging again to pay the maint. Cost just like they used to. Sorry don't mean to rant but it's a pet peace of mine.

I don't mind paying $30+ a year to use the forest if it remains open for shooting. I'd also like to do more hiking and photography. I just wish it wasn't such a seemingly complicated mess of passes required.

Logging won't cover their road maintenance costs because the costs are so high and the roads have been neglected so long driving the current need higher. Even if they open up the forest to increased logging, the demand for wood has dropped due to a terrible housing market and a poor economy with fewer products shipped in cardboard.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top