JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
this may have been covered, but I didn't find the thread

IF I have to use a firearm in self defense on my own property and the Sheriff takes my firearm as evidence

even when it's determined to be self defense - in Washington state - when, if ever, do I get my firearm back

today, I switched out my HK VP9 for an old Glock as a self defense firearm on my bed headboard

if I have to shoot some meth head or mentally ill Liberal Homeless on my property, I don't want to loose my HK

yes, it's a felony to attack a senior citizen such as myself on his own property, but do I get my firearm back IF I have to use it?

Whatever you do, I don't recommend :s0047: ;

1- immediately calling to report somebody using fireworks in the next block.
2- finally finishing that Koi pond you dug in the backyard 9 years ago.
3- then, finishing those home renovations your wife has been bugging you about.

my daughter in Portland calls every morning to complain about gun fire in the night in Portland
out here, we hear gunfire every day and night - but often it's me
and perk test holes - most have an old perk test hole on their property and have a neighbor with a front loader to fill it in

but still, what happens to your firearm - even if you follow the old rural philosophy - "SHOOT - SHOVEL - SHUTUP"

Yes, you do get it back, if cleared of "wrong doing," but it takes a loooongg time. They will not be in a rush to return your firearm. Also, if it was purdy at the time of the incident, it will be ugly when you get it back.

IF I have to use a firearm in self defense on my own property and the Sheriff takes my firearm as evidence

even when it's determined to be self defense - in Washington state - when, if ever, do I get my firearm back

today, I switched out my HK VP9 for an old Glock as a self defense firearm on my bed headboard

if I have to shoot some meth head or mentally ill Liberal Homeless on my property, I don't want to loose my HK

yes, it's a felony to attack a senior citizen such as myself on his own property, but do I get my firearm back IF I have to use it?
If you have to shoot in self defense it makes no difference if they are meth heads or mentally ill Liberal Homeless persons or it they are on your property. I am not familiar enough with WA law to know if prevention of a felony allows the use of deadly force. I suspect the answer is no unless the felony includes an immediate or eminant threat of death or great bodily injury to yourself or another person.

Massad Ayoob has decades of experience and has written books on this very subject. He offers seminars and is generally held to be the man in defensive firearms use. He founded the Lethal Force Institute is also the president of the Second Amendment Foundation, headquartered in Bellevue, WA.

Last Edited:
1629779458278.png

It depends on how good you aim is.

If the bad guy IS NOT dead because your aim is off, it'll be a long time before you get your gun back because there'll be a long list of of the bad guy's relatives all of whom will want to sue you for big money about the injustice of how the bad guy is really a nice guy who was trying to make enough money to go to college and earn a degree in environment science to solve climate issues, and was on his knee offering a prayer to god when you oh-so-callously shot him. So you gun will remain in evidence for a long time.

If the bad guy IS dead, no relatives of his will give a hoot because it'll be difficult to tell their side of the story and make money from suing you. So you'll get your VP9 back quickly.

In short:
- Don't miss.
- Shoot to kill.
- More shots equals more holes in bad guys, equals higher chances of dead bad guys, equals getting gun back quickly.

:D

If you have to shoot in self defense it makes no difference if they are meth heads or mentally ill Liberal Homeless persons or it they are on your property. I am not familiar enough with WA law to know if prevention of a felony allows the use of deadly force. I suspect the answer is no unless the felony includes an immediate or eminant threat of death or great bodily injury to yourself or another person.
it was not more than a month ago a property owner had to shoot a mentally ill intruder at his front door in remote Clark Co
the Sheriffs Dept. put a tarp over the body until the coroner could arrive in the morning

this isn't Multnomah Co, Or with a far leftist DA paid for by Soros like Portland

6 years ago, our neighbor lost his job and started cooking meth - the smell gave my wife a headache and she called the Sheriffs Dept
they told her they were not going to risk their deputies on an armed meth head on his own property
the Deputy on the phone asked if she had a firearm - my wife answered - "YES"
"well, mam, accidents happen - call us if you have an accident on your property"

here in remote Clark Co, an intruder at your door in the middle of the night is an eminent threat since the Sheriff is 30 min away and we are disabled senior citizens

but I'm not going to risk a fine HK on a meth head - a Glock or Mossberg Shockwave is good enough

Also, if it was purdy at the time of the incident, it will be ugly when you get it back.
Are you speaking from experience? I will not give any details, but I currently have an extremely sentimental firearm in police custody. I was told (taking it with a grain of salt) that after all is said and done that it will be returned to me. When that time comes, it will have been in an evidence locker for about a year and I am quite concerned about the condition it will be in

Are you speaking from experience? I will not give any details, but I currently have an extremely sentimental firearm in police custody. I was told (taking it with a grain of salt) that after all is said and done that it will be returned to me. When that time comes, it will have been in an evidence locker for about a year and I am quite concerned about the condition it will be in
No, not from personal experience but from the experience of a friend and testimonies of two police detectives. When forensics get their hands on it, they are NOT DELICATE. I was even told they cast a mould of the gun but from what, I do not know.

If whatever gun I have to defend myself with is taken into evidence, I will consider it money well spent when I replace it! As to what happens next? That will change state to state and even county to county! Some move faster than others to return property. Others will make it an ordeal to recover your gun. Some of the CCW insurance company's even offer a recovery service! The County I live in [Central CA] is fairly gun friendly, and fairly quick to return a gun once the reports are in and a judge has signed off that it was a case of Justified Homicide [ Self Defence]. But fairly fast still could be a year or more! And if there is any doubt that year could go out 5 years or more!
The Famous George Zimmerman was over 5 years before he was able to recover his gun! DR

Want a ballpark answer? You will without if (presuming you are completely in the right) for about a year. Could be less in some places, longer in others if you live in an unfriendly to 2A location. They will not strip it down, clean it and oil it either. (Although I did hear one example were this kinda happened.) It will not likely be stored in a perfect-for-firearms environment so rust is possible.

I would worry far more on being prepared with training, tactics, mental prep, what to say and do after the shooting than what will happen to my gun but that is just me. I've also been through the above mentioned Mas Ayoob courses at the instructor level and he is very convincing on why this is important...so you can be out of jail and not a felon so you can get your gun back. I will also choose my tool based on how it will improve my odds when it come to saving my live or that of a family member.

Someone let loose a with about six rounds about 3am last night right by my house. I grabbed a $600 gun but if my $1,500 gun was closer and I thought it was a better tool I'd have no heartburn grabbing it instead. Just my humble thoughts. To each their own.

Cheers,

No, not from personal experience but from the experience of a friend and testimonies of two police detectives. When forensics get their hands on it, they are NOT DELICATE. I was even told they cast a mould of the gun but from what, I do not know.
This would be true! They treat them like a hunk of metal that has to be processed! They pour them into bins and barrels, If they have been dusted for prints or exposed to a glue process that residue will still be on them. They wire a ID tag to them, and then they get returned to the bin for handguns or a barrel for long guns to wait for court. When their court day comes the Clerk retrieves them along with all the other guns for that days court They are all lumped together in some kind of shopping cart and wheeled over to the court. After court they are wheeled back to the storage and lumped together again. Sometime after court a judge will sign off on final disposition, and they can be released back to their owner. But the people that work in courts, forensics, etc.. are not gun people and are just shuffling lumps of metal around! Very few care anything beyond what their task is! DR

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top