JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
What would have happened to a machine gun stripped lower if it was held from 1984 through the 1986 NFA registration / ban.

The context of my question: I anticipate that AR's are going to go nfa before the ban talks are through. I have a semi auto stripped ar lower. If I hold onto it, is it likely to be grandfathered as a 2012 preban AR-15?

Your thoughts?

Nothing. I would have already been registered to be legal. If it was registered it was a machine gun and still is. The NFA started in 1934. In 1986 the law just changed so that no new ones could legally be made for transfer "private" use.

What registration? There is no registration, stop feeding the fears.

Your AR15 lower receiver was manufactured and purchased before this non-existant ban, of course it would be grandfathered.

Mr Ben while I agree with most of what you say, it is not all true.

Did CA grandfather all of its "AR's" when the made registration mandatory? The answer is no.

What registration? There is no registration, stop feeding the fears.

Your AR15 lower receiver was manufactured and purchased before this non-existant ban, of course it would be grandfathered.

There is no registration but I think there will be.

I'm not feeding fears. I am asking questions in anticipation of a likely path I think the regulations will go. I would think it would be grandfathered but the stripped lowers were not in the 94 AWB correct me if I'm wrong.

The 1994 AWB the gun had to be built into a "pre-ban" configuration prior to the ban to be legal.

What is to say that you don't have 10 lowers and one complete upper. Assemble each lower with all the parts to make it "pre-ban" and take a pic of each........

The AWB and NFA are 2 very different things with very different rules.

The 1994 AWB the gun had to be built into a "pre-ban" configuration prior to the ban to be legal.

What is to say that you don't have 10 lowers and one complete upper. Assemble each lower with all the parts to make it "pre-ban" and take a pic of each........

The AWB and NFA are 2 very different things with very different rules.

I realize that I'm trying to "blend" two different things, the nfa and the 94 awb. What is one to take from those two acts to position his or her self to have a few AR's after the (in my anticipation) AWB ban.

Good luck showing the suit knocking at your door nine lowers and one upper. That's a game I dont want to play.

Then I guess it is kinda like prepping. No one knows exactly what will happen and we each have to do it in our own way and hope it is the right way.

In 1934 the NFA was born and all those items have to be registered to be legal. So if you think that is the case then you will have to be ready to register each item you want to keep. If you think it will be the same as the AWB then prepare the way it happened then. If you think something else is going to happen prepare that way. Or you can so what you have always done, maybe getting a few extras and then as soon as something solid comes along then follow that for sure. No matter what happens there will be some warning.

My thoughts are that anyone who conforms to the impending weapons ban in any way is either a coward or doesn't understand exactly what the second amendment means or why it was written. Read it again.
Sorry I didn't finish the sentence...

Your thoughts on the legalities of a pre ban stripped lower?

Under the 94 Crime Bill (awb) Your pre ban lower could've been configured with all the "evil" features...flash hider, bayo lug, pistol grip, adj stock, grenade/flare launcher.

None of us fully yet know the wording of the frankenfeinstein ban but we will tomorrow. This intro to formal setting will surely drive the panic higher.

Keep your lower...build it up now if possible. If the day comes when we are forced to register them with NFA and forfeit them upon death then you can be sure there will be a lot of new interest in geo cache :). Might be a good idea to invest in some Garmin stock.....kidding....sorta

Under the 94 Crime Bill (awb) Your pre ban lower could've been configured with all the "evil" features...flash hider, bayo lug, pistol grip, adj stock, grenade/flare launcher.

No. Stripped lower could not be built legally after the the ban no matter when the lower was made. There was NO such thing as a "pre-ban lower", unless it was taken from a complete rifle that was pre-ban and could be proved that it was.

Here is the text of the law, The text of the Assault Weapons Ban - Democratic Underground

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top