JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm a big fan of the actions on Mi's and the Mini style Rugers.

THE sOCOM m1 Has the same barrel lenght as the Ruger, and the actions appear to be carbon copies. Other than the appx $750 difference in price, what other differences would one expect?

Please advise.

Big question. The M1a action in the SOCOM is the (more or less) original action. It was built for 308/7.62x51 caliber which is a rifle caliber. It is from the old M14 military rifles. It is amazing and very strong.

The mini 14/30 is an homage to the M14 scaled down dramatically. It was developed for 223 and extended to 7.62x39 both of which are much less powerful than the 7.62x51. So the whole rifle is designed to be cheaper, lighter, less powerful and more accessible to part time shooters and people coming into the sport.

My opinion is that the Rugers are junk compared to M1a. But your mileage may vary. Go to cabelas and hold each one. You should get the idea of how different they are and it should be very apparent when you hold them. If you want the smaller calibers, the ruger is your only choice in that M14 style action.

Last Edited:
The x39 would be far cheaper to feed than the x51. The M1A is a heavy duty rifle, so if you were planning to hunt with it the weight might become an issue after awhile. PSA often has them for sale for $1199 with free shipping which is a very low price.

I have a ruger ranch rifle in .223 5.56Nato and it is a great shouldering and fun to shoot gun. I have shouldered the M1 With walnut and they are pretty heavy. The Socom with composite stock in .308 shoulders up really nicely, but it costs a 3rd more.

One I'd expect accuracy at 500+ meters the other not. I'll let you guess the one I'd prefer.
Hint: I qualified with the M-14 at Edson range in USMC boot camp back in the day.:s0042:

The x39 would be far cheaper to feed than the x51. The M1A is a heavy duty rifle, so if you were planning to hunt with it the weight might become an issue after awhile. PSA often has them for sale for $1199 with free shipping which is a very low price.
I know they do but with the synthetic Stock there not really that heavy.
Got mine Tuesday. 8 lbs give or take a few.
Add a 20 or 25 round mag it gains wht.
Lol IMG_20190226_151947.jpg

The trick is to put in a 25 round mag and then when you want the gun to be lighter.
You just pull the TRIGGER really fast .
And your gun is lighter LOL.
This works with all guns

M1A or FAL if you want a serious rifle, if you want 5.56 any AR is going to work just fine! The Ruger Mini 14 is pretty much Junk, I have yet to see one that could shoot as good as a really crappy AR, thats sayin something!:eek:

Id get an SKS over a mini 30.
While I want a mini 30 money would be better spent on a different rifle.
That being said if the M1A look is desired Id get a mini 14 over a mini 30.

But you can't go wrong going with an SKS. Half the price too.

I own a socom. Expensive to shoot. Fun.. but its much cheaper to shoot my 5.56 and x39 rifles.

I would vote AK over mini 30 if you want x39, otherwise for .308 an AR 10 or a PTR-91, both will outshoot an FAL or M1A, cheaper too. PTR has really cheap mags too.

If you really just want that style of action then yeah they take different cartridges, that's the difference.

I'd stay away from the Mini's as well.

I have a mini 14 and it is a lot of fun to shoot, but I won't pretend it's a better rifle than an AR, it isn't.

But if you already have ARs and just want something different in 5.56 then it's a decent choice.

I'll never vote mini 30 just because it's probably going to be less accurate than an AK and the mags are stupid expensive.

Did you know Delta force has Mini14's in it's inventory? Yeah, me neither but that's what I've read.

If you're not trying to hit a basketball at 200 yds it'll probably work just fine. I don't think the Mini30's any better than an AK, I personally don't mind the Mini14 but for 7.62x39 I got an AR. I have 5.56 AR's as well but a Mini14's a lot of fun, a Mini30 probably wouldn't be as much fun to shoot being that it's 30 cal. I like shooting my 223 AR's better than the 7.62 AR, less recoil, more accuracy, better bullets.

Everybody should have something in 7.62x39, if a Mini30's all you have it's better than nothing.

Upcoming Events

Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top