JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
not certain about holsters in particlar, but in general, hide, once it gets wet, tends to lose its shape, and will often never go back. On a nice boned hide holster, I'd be more than a little afraid it would lose its designed shape forever.

Hide also has the nasty characteristic of absorbing, and holding, water for later "distribution", thus, once it is soaked, a hide holster will hold that water against your weapon. Not much of an issue if it is stainless... but an older blued gun might suffer some unpleasant consequences if left in a damp hide holster for the day, or a few days if out hunt-camping. Or forgetting to remove the pistol once you're back warm and dry.

I'd think hide a poor choice for those times you KNOW you'll be in the wet.

I'm looking for the right holster to carry my Colt Anaconda .44Mag . Stainless of course.

Will probably end up with a Bianchi Accumold as I think it would be more comfortable than a Kydex holster, but some of the nyon holsters have a padding in between the payers of nylon and I'm wondering if that would also absord and hold the moisture .....

I'm looking for the right holster to carry my Colt Anaconda .44Mag . Stainless of course.

Will probably end up with a Bianchi Accumold as I think it would be more comfortable than a Kydex holster, but some of the nyon holsters have a padding in between the payers of nylon and I'm wondering if that would also absord and hold the moisture .....

if the padding is CLOSED CELL foam, it will pick up and hold very little moisture. If OPEN CELL, avoid it, as it WILL be like a sponge.... and hold lots of water.

Now, some of the nylon/ballistic fiber units do have a layer of some waterproof film.. mylar, poly, something, to prevent water from reaching the weapon. The nylon itself, as typically woven, absorbs very little water, and will dry quickly. Some other products, like Goretex, Kevlar, Polyolefin, also will not absorb moisture. I'd chheck with the maker's specs and if they are bragging about "waterproof", or "wet weather service", you're likely quite safe. If they give specifics of HOW they include a water barrier, so much the better. Haven't shoppped such things specifically yet, but I DO know a bit about water control, having been an avid road cyclist and a boater here in the Pacific NorthWET for too many years. Some things work, some things say they do and don't some make no claims. One learns about "appropriate materials" for specific situations. One of the situations where dealing with a knowledgeable retailer who will take the time to TALK to you, answer pointed niggly questions, do research, is a good thing, as opposed to an online catalog. "Item, Price, Add to Cart" sometims just does not hit the centre ring.

I have been making leather holsters for 10-12 years or more and carrying my guns in them all that time. I have never had a problem with a holster loosing its shape by becoming wet. Most leather holsters have an acrylic finish which is water resistant. If your holster does become wet set it out to dry as soon as possible. Do not leave it in the sun or use any artificial heat source to dry it. Leave it out somewhere at room temp where there is good airflow and let it dry naturally. If you are going to be using a leather holster in wet conditions you can treat it with a coat or two of Kiwi neutral shoe polish. This won't stain or darken the leather or soften it as oils do but will leave a protective layer of wax on the leather.
These holsters are at least 10-12 years old and have seen extensive use in Western Washington in all kinds of weather while working on a cattle ranch and hunting.

SingleSixdoubleloopholstercartri-1.jpg

SingleSixcrossdraw3.jpg

Blackhawkdoubleloopholstercartridge.jpg

Eugene

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show