JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Status
Reactions
Girlfriend and I were driving to the cabin and we noticed all of the motorcyclists out for a Saturday drive enjoying the break in weather.

We started talking about whether or not we would enjoy riding and concluded that a sports car would be much more fun and safe.

I had a Harley Road King when I lived in Arizona and it was fun, but I was always either hot or cold and ALWAYS paranoid of other drivers.

So we then discussed vehicles that would make a good "Weekend" car to take on short road trips. Vehicles that were considered:

Corvette
Mustang
Camaro
Challenger
370Z/350Z
Infiniti G35 Coupe
Jeep Wrangler
Audi TT
BMW Z3
Mercedes SLR

She settled on the Nissan 350Z as her choice.

As it happens, I have access to one of the vehicles on the list. It's my mom's `89 Mercedes Benz SLR450.

I've driven it a couple of times and it's very fun. Mom rarely drives it and my dad has offered to let me take it out every now and then to keep everything lubricated and working.

So, I think we'll take it out soon for a day trip to Leavenworth or maybe up to Couer D'Alene for lunch and shopping...

View attachment 580966

Just curious as if anyone else has a fun "weekend" vehicle like a sports car or motorcycle and what destinations you've gone to for fun.

I'd be rollin' in a six-fo...

48CF675F-6A08-4161-A834-AFB19E80F33F.jpeg

You're either a bike rider or not. Most harley owners are not.

The animosity and elitist attitudes among motorcyclists have always puzzled me.

My uncle owned a Honda motorcycle dealership when I was growing up. I started riding dirt bikes as a kid, have owned a few cruisers, a couple of dual sports, and the one Harley over the years.

I enjoyed technical riding in the woods more than anything, but still loved a good paved road cruise every now and then.

I'm an advocate for motorcycles and watching out for them when driving, but because I am not a hard-core enthusiast, I am derided and sneered at.

Human nature, I suppose...:s0153:

Sweet looking cars! I am a little more bucolic. (The quilt is on there because my wife was taking pics of one she made.)

As far as motorcycles go, the favorite brand is the one I am riding at the time. :)

Ford and quilt (2).jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The animosity towards HD (or clones thereof) riders primarily comes from the fact that:

1) They are well dated technology even compared to bikes from 40 years ago. Therefore, unless the rider is primarily interested in classic or antique bikes (most HD riders are not) they would ride a bike from before about 1960, instead of one manufactured after 2000.

2) Many HD riders seem more interested in presenting an appearance of belonging to a biker gang than that of a motorcyclist. In short, they are mostly posers.

3) Many HD riders have never ridden a motorcycle before, and yet, for their first motorcycle, they pick a 1200cc 500 to 900 pound motorcycle with relatively poor handling, while wearing poor protective gear, if any. Once they crash they then sell the bike and never ride again.

I could go on and on, but many serious motorcyclists look with disdain on most HD riders.

I've been riding motorcycles for over 50 years. Never desired a HD. If I won the lottery I might purchase a classic or antique HD, but not a current model.

Girlfriend and I were driving to the cabin and we noticed all of the motorcyclists out for a Saturday drive enjoying the break in weather.

We started talking about whether or not we would enjoy riding and concluded that a sports car would be much more fun and safe.

I had a Harley Road King when I lived in Arizona and it was fun, but I was always either hot or cold and ALWAYS paranoid of other drivers.

So we then discussed vehicles that would make a good "Weekend" car to take on short road trips. Vehicles that were considered:

Corvette
Mustang
Camaro
Challenger
370Z/350Z
Infiniti G35 Coupe
Jeep Wrangler
Audi TT
BMW Z3
Mercedes SLR

She settled on the Nissan 350Z as her choice.

As it happens, I have access to one of the vehicles on the list. It's my mom's `89 Mercedes Benz SLR450.

I've driven it a couple of times and it's very fun. Mom rarely drives it and my dad has offered to let me take it out every now and then to keep everything lubricated and working.

So, I think we'll take it out soon for a day trip to Leavenworth or maybe up to Couer D'Alene for lunch and shopping...

View attachment 580966

Just curious as if anyone else has a fun "weekend" vehicle like a sports car or motorcycle and what destinations you've gone to for fun.
I experienced the same as you with the bikes. Something not on your list is the Porsche Boxter or Cayman...preferably the Cayman-S. These are fantastic well balanced cars with mid engines. You feel totally centered when cornering and while not super powerful...maybe 300hp for the Cayman-S, the power is smooth and linear. We had a 2007 Cayman-S and it was a pleasure to drive. My guess is you can get them at a reasonable price from some dude who babied it. They are very easy to work on and maintainence is really just oil changes with Mobil-1 0-40w

The wife and I were up in Joseph a few years back. Another couple came in a Mazda similar:

2016-Mazda-MX-5-front-three-quarter-02-2.jpg

I asked why they did'nt have a Goldwing?

- Can talk without headsets
- if it rains
- small, but functional trunk
- both can drive

And

Cost him less than a full dresser.

Makes sense.

My wife wants one of those new Rykers.

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fpictures.topspeed.com%2FIMG%2Fjpg%2F201809%2F2019-can-am-ryker-3.jpg

I still like 2 wheels.

As a former HD owner and rider I wouldn't be caught dead on a metric bike. I like my stuff American made. As for a weekend car I am putting my 66 Nova restoration on hold and got a couple weeks left to get my down payment in to reserve a new Vette. YMMV

I've owned a few cars on that list (Mustang, TT, Wrangler) and a few bikes (Ducati 848, Ductati Monster, Speed Triple, CBR 600, MV Augusta). I only have the Wrangler today. No more speeding tickets and I can drive it up to Mt Hood in the winter, the beach in the summer, and be topless/doorless with the whole family inside.

I've gone on several thousand mile touring rides on the below '06 HD Dyna Street Bob in the past. A couple years back I fabricated a removable trailer hitch set-up (from scratch) that me and the wife drove to Reno and then circumnavigated around Lake Tahoe, with all the comforts of "camping" stowed in the trailer.
F12131C7-E6C4-4611-A3CD-DA2A549825FD.jpeg

Set up for two-up riding...
5EE3DA44-A6B1-4808-9A5C-8E59C76A0AAE.jpeg

The wife's joints can't take long touring rides anymore, so I mainly ride set-up solo.
6DE811D9-27D8-475F-AC75-853AD2B9FD0D.jpeg EDABBED2-B55E-4F94-B5E4-946C325538FA.jpeg

There's "elitists and posers" in every single human "group of endeavor"... as for HD being American made", every genuine HD accessory I've ever gotten (at the dealer no less) has said "made in China" more often than not.... so, yeah.

Status

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads