JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.

Is the AR-15 a "weapon of war"?

• The AR-15 is indeed a "weapon of war" and we should embrace the label as 2A was designed for "WoW"

• The AR-15 isn't a "weapon of war" because it's not currently used by the military during wartime.

• The AR-15 is indeed a "weapon of war" but we shouldn't call it so, because it's unnecessarily scary.

• The AR-15 isn't a "weapon of war" and we should be firm about the distinction.

• Something else - the above choices don't fit my views at all.

Results are only viewable after voting.
It's not the phrase, it is the context and motives behind its use by the opposition that are at issue.

These types of phrases, "weapons of war" and "assault rifle", for example, are known as rhetoric, which is persuasive language intended to sway using emotion, not necessarily logic.

You counter rhetoric with rhetoric, not logic, or you will usually be ignored or worse.

Please define your stuff.

COME_on_man.jpg

Judge Ketanji Jackson Brown used the same kind of/sort of......explanation for "woman."

Yeah......and, look what happened. Must be or maybe it's a..........

White
Male

thing?

Aloha, Mark

PS.....IT WAS MERELY A QUESTION. NOT/NEVER INTENDED to sound like, or hint at, or something that you might "think."

Last Edited:
It's not the phrase, it is the context and motives behind its use by the opposition that are at issue.

These types of phrases, "weapons of war" and "assault rifle", for example, are known as rhetoric, which is persuasive language intended to sway using emotion, not necessarily logic.

You counter rhetoric with rhetoric, not logic, or you will usually be ignored or worse.
Don't forget, high power. They use terms and phrases outside of their circles that don't stand up to scrutiny.

If 5.56 is high power what is 300WM? What are millions of rifles not killing the public?

Oh I do. That's why I commandeer it and turn it right back around on them.

Because I believe such "weapons of war" are exactly the kinds of arms that 2A was intended to protect the rights of citizens like myself to keep and bear.

When it was written, the standard "weapon of war" for a citizen to keep around for use was a musket. In later years, it was a lever action or maybe an M1 Garand.

Today, it's the AR-15.
I think you misspelled "M16"

That's what I was trained on in the Navy.

And you're right, we the people should have access to those.

This bickering is pointless.jpg

...but since I'm here...

I understand the rationale of your "embrace the label" argument, but I don't think it's the right approach. The anti-gun groups use that label because of the negative connotations it evokes for those uninformed about guns and their use. Unfortunately, it is being used to great effect by them against our cause, so your odds of repatriating that usage and turning it to the advantage of the 2A movement are slim to none.

Applying pejorative labels to inanimate objects is the anti-gun movement's primary method of influencing public opinion. In the 80s they started propagating the term "high capacity magazines". Fast forward to today and a large block of the population (including some gun owners) now believes that 10 rounds of ammunition or less is "normal", and anything that holds more than that is excessive. Around the same time they started adding the term "assault" to firearm types. That term "assault rifle" is now used in virtually every news reporting that involves a semi-auto rifle. Both are examples of horribly inaccurate and intentionally negative terminology that are now mainstream in our society, sometimes even used by gun owners who don't know any better.

Words have meaning, and labels directly impact the success or failure of any movement. The best advice I ever got about communication is that your words must be able to stand on their own. You will not be able to explain what your interpretation of "weapons of war" means to the majority of people. They will interpret those words based on their life experiences and opinions, and their interpretation will be most influenced by the anti-gun perspective because it is well-funded and consistently reinforced via popular media.

Beyond that, optics matter. You don't convince large groups of people to join your side by embracing a negative slogan or label, especially one that implies large-scale violence and death. There are a lot of gun owners out there, but we are not the majority - we are a large minority. ~30-40% of adults in the US own a gun (depending on what research you look at), and not all of them view their guns as tools of self-protection. The term "weapons of war" will not resonate with those who hunt or target shoot - it will push them away.

In summary, I think using that term does more harm then good.
(a) It reinforces the anti-gun movement's efforts to put limits and caveats on the constitutional rights that we hold dear.
(b) It inappropriately shifts focus away a person's actions and onto the tool they use.
(c) It ignores the countless positive and beneficial uses of firearms for personal protection, hunting, and sport.
(d) It casts a negative light on gun owners by making them sound hyperaggressive and violent.
(e) It undermines the herculean efforts the 2A movement has made over the past 40 years to normalize firearm ownership and usage in today's society.

All that being said, they're your guns - call them what you want.

Personally, any time I encounter a person uses that or any other intentionally negative terms related to firearms, I will politely educate them on proper terminology and provide the necessary context about firearms that popular media and anti-gun propaganda conveniently leave out. I've found that people are generally pretty receptive to someone who can have a calm, rational discussion and approaches it with a genuine willingness to help others. Really, that's what this is all about - helping people to better understand the realities of the 2nd Amendment and gun ownership, why those rights are so important, and how laws and regulations affect us as gun owners. They don't always agree with my perspective at the end (you can't win them all), but that approach tends to have a much greater positive impact on peoples' view of guns and gun owners than anything else.

View attachment 1221098

...but since I'm here...

I understand the rationale of your "embrace the label" argument, but I don't think it's the right approach. The anti-gun groups use that label because of the negative connotations it evokes for those uninformed about guns and their use. Unfortunately, it is being used to great effect by them against our cause, so your odds of repatriating that usage and turning it to the advantage of the 2A movement are slim to none.

Applying pejorative labels to inanimate objects is the anti-gun movement's primary method of influencing public opinion. In the 80s they started propagating the term "high capacity magazines". Fast forward to today and a large block of the population (including some gun owners) now believes that 10 rounds of ammunition or less is "normal", and anything that holds more than that is excessive. Around the same time they started adding the term "assault" to firearm types. That term "assault rifle" is now used in virtually every news reporting that involves a semi-auto rifle. Both are examples of horribly inaccurate and intentionally negative terminology that are now mainstream in our society, sometimes even used by gun owners who don't know any better.

Words have meaning, and labels directly impact the success or failure of any movement. The best advice I ever got about communication is that your words must be able to stand on their own. You will not be able to explain what your interpretation of "weapons of war" means to the majority of people. They will interpret those words based on their life experiences and opinions, and their interpretation will be most influenced by the anti-gun perspective because it is well-funded and consistently reinforced via popular media.

Beyond that, optics matter. You don't convince large groups of people to join your side by embracing a negative slogan or label, especially one that implies large-scale violence and death. There are a lot of gun owners out there, but we are not the majority - we are a large minority. ~30-40% of adults in the US own a gun (depending on what research you look at), and not all of them view their guns as tools of self-protection. The term "weapons of war" will not resonate with those who hunt or target shoot - it will push them away.

In summary, I think using that term does more harm then good.
(a) It reinforces the anti-gun movement's efforts to put limits and caveats on the constitutional rights that we hold dear.
(b) It inappropriately shifts focus away a person's actions and onto the tool they use.
(c) It ignores the countless positive and beneficial uses of firearms for personal protection, hunting, and sport.
(d) It casts a negative light on gun owners by making them sound hyperaggressive and violent.
(e) It undermines the herculean efforts the 2A movement has made over the past 40 years to normalize firearm ownership and usage in today's society.

All that being said, they're your guns - call them what you want.

Personally, any time I encounter a person uses that or any other intentionally negative terms related to firearms, I will politely educate them on proper terminology and provide the necessary context about firearms that popular media and anti-gun propaganda conveniently leave out. I've found that people are generally pretty receptive to someone who can have a calm, rational discussion and approaches it with a genuine willingness to help others. Really, that's what this is all about - helping people to better understand the realities of the 2nd Amendment and gun ownership, why those rights are so important, and how laws and regulations affect us as gun owners. They don't always agree with my perspective at the end (you can't win them all), but that approach tends to have a much greater positive impact on peoples' view of guns and gun owners than anything else.
A thoughtful and well-written response. Thank you.

Everyday items originally developed for the military and used in times of war:

Feminine Hygiene Products (absorbent material used in maxi pads and tampons)
Wrist Watches
EpiPens
Penicillin
Digital Cameras
The internet
Virtual Reality
Drones
Ambulances
Jeeps
Aviator Sunglasses
Super Glue
GPS
Microwave Ovens
Duct Tape

Do we consider these weapons of war, too?

"Sir, you are under arrest for using duct tape in a manner other than approved by the AFT."
"Ma'am, do you have your tampon CCW?"
"Your honor, this man stands accused of illegally and recklessly cooking his TV dinner."
"Why would anyone need to fix their broken vase in less than 15 seconds. There should be at least a 2-hour waiting period. The founding fathers only intended us to use slow drying epoxy."
"Ambulances are way too fast and loud to actually save lives."
"The first amendment only applies to an ink well and quill, not this new-fangled instant communication."
"Fully-semi auto maps should be outlawed."

The hub-bub about those evil black guns is just a distraction. What they have turned into weapons of war against us and our society are social media and the education system.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top