Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

WASR 10 AK47 opinions?

Discussion in 'Rifle Discussion' started by stonedkirby, Jan 28, 2010.

1. stonedkirby

stonedkirby WA (Clark/Cowlitz) Member

Just wondering what you guys think regarding quality, safety and longevity. I read online some guy went shooting with it after putting 1100 rounds no problem, then out of nowhere, it blew up in his face and he was picking pieces of shrap out all day.
    Just scared to death now regarding a possible trade. Thanks!

2. stonedkirby

the common problems with the WASR 10 AK, how easy are they to fix? the common problems anyway

3. stonedkirby

and does a WASR 10 only accept 10 round mags?

4. jordanka16

jordanka16 Albany, OR Active Member

Exactly, as long as the gas tube isn't canted and the sight is straight enough to hit your target, they will work. AKs are pretty robust, and most of the price differences are cosmetics related.

5. stonedkirby

6. jordanka16

Prices on other AKs have come down recently, if you wanted you could get a different one for not much more.

I had a WASR, and it worked just fine for me. As long as you inspect it first there shouldn't be a problem.

7. jordanka16

Yeah, I wouldn't put too much faith in yahoo answers.

8. stonedkirby

hehe true that. Ok. I got alot of thinking to do. any other input is appreciated

9. jordanka16

I'm just agreeing with you :D

10. usrifle

usrifle washington Member

WASR 10's were built as Low capacity rifles for the commercial market. The importer "opens" the mag well to accept hi capacity magazines.
    The receivers have no "Dimples" on each side to "hold" the mag in place, so thy tend to fit "loosely" when locked in the rifle.
    The canted sights and mag fit are your biggest concerns... but it's an AK, it will always run.
    It's not the most desirable AK, but it will work.
    usrifle

11. pogi

pogi Gresham, OR Active Member

Personally, I'd stay away from them and all Century builds. You get what you pay for and the knock on AKs comes from crappy Romanian WASR builds (especially from Century). Just my 2 cents...

12. Riot

Riot Benton County, Washington Well-Known Member

I've owned and shot a few AKs in my day...even done a review on the VZ-58 from my time in the service (they're junk btw). The site you posted compares an AMD-65 (another junk AK variant) with a WASR-10. Now, WASR-10s aren't the best of quality or the most accurate. Nevertheless, they are fine rifles. I still own mine and love it....I drag it out everytime I go hunting or shooting.

For the price, they are worth every penny.

*edit*

Also, the Kits are Romanian...Centry makes the receivers. As required by law, a few of the parts must be American made. For you to buy a true imported AK, expect to pay somewhere in the $3K range and up. All WASR-10s except hi-cap mags unless otherwise posted (i.e. if it says it is California compliant or single-stacked only).