JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Ø The PPS this has been around since 2007. It wasn't very popular due to the price. However, it has since come down in price and has gained popularity. It is a very ergonomic gun. It has a paddle style mag release on the trigger guard. Some people love it and some hate it. I personally love the feel in my hand, and the mag release works great for me. I personally have a XDS and love it. I wouldn't hesitate a second to get a PPS, and probably will get one in the future. If I could describe the two guns, the XDS is like a brick in the hand but has EXCELLENT sights and an awesome trigger. The PPS has an ok trigger and has a sloppy sight picture and carries one less round. XDS= converse shoe, PPS= fitted dress shoe. This was a long post but I hope it was helpful.

The new PPS M2 removed the paddle mag release, and now only has the push-button. I don't know if it is reversible, and Walther doesn't state anything to this regard on their website. I think it is safe to assume it is not reversible. Additionally, the slide lock does not appear to be ambi either.

The PPS M2 did incorporate the ergos of the PPQ, which are superb, and far better in my opinion that the original PPS. It also has a great stock trigger.

Had they retained the paddle mag release, I personally would buy it.

If you are looking for a lefty-friendly gun, I would not advise purchasing the PPS M2.
However, I would suggest you take some time to learn to actuate the magazine release and slide lock controls with your left hand. If you did so, the PPS M2, and far more options would open up for you.

The PPS has an ok trigger and has a sloppy sight picture and carries one less round.

That is not 100% inaccurate regarding the ammo capacity. The PPS M2 has 3 magazine capacity options available. Two of them: a short flush mount mag, and a slightly extended +1 mag, come standard with the handgun.

In addition, the PPS M2 also has a third +2 mag option that is available to buy as an accessory. The XD-S only comes with two mag options. They match the +1 and +2 capacity options of the PPS and PPS M2 magazines. So you can get the same ammo capacities in the PPS M2.

No one has mentioned the biggest improvement in the PPS M2 over the original ( at least in my opinion ), and that is the better, tougher finish. The finish on the original PPS was not that durable at all. I had mine refinished, because of that. The new PPS M2 has a much tough Tenifer finish on it, just like Glocks have.

That is a BIG plus for the new version, in my opinion.

The new ergonomics and more comfortable grip is another major plus. The original was not that great for getting a good grip on either. But I solved that by putting a Limbsaver grip sleeve on mine. That really made the gun most comfortable to get a solid grip on and shoot well.

But now with the new PPS M2, you get a gun with a tough finish and great grip standard straight from the factory. You don't have to spend money on accessorizing your handgun, like I did. Here is a pic of my original PPS:

Walther PPS grip.jpg

Last Edited:
I previously owned the original version and it was a great shooting gun. Very reliable and accurate (bare bones stock). once the trigger breaks in it is actually very good.

I held the M2 the other day, and my vote still goes for the first Gen.

they have dropped in price significantly over the past year you really cannot go wrong with the original. it is an excellent fire arm! especially for 385 shipped!! <broken link removed>

Edit: Also, why in the hell didn't they make the mags interchangeable! oh wait i know why :s0159::s0159:

Gen 1 PPS is my CCW. Haven't got to handle the gen 2 but very happy with mine, eats everything I put in it, disassembly is simple, I carry with the 7 round mag on board and two 8 round mags off side. So far works for me, hope I never have to use it.

I've had a PPQ but sold it. Couldn't ever feel comfortable carrying a fully cocked striker paired with a featherweight trigger. Opted instead for a P99 AS and what is now a Gen 1 PPS, both in 9mm. Both are great guns, but the PPS is simply the best carry gun I've ever had. The thing came out in 2007, I think, and was essentially the first thin single stack 9mm around. It was priced too high to be adopted by most people, but when they dropped the price people should have flocked to it. I also prefer the original. The PPQ/P99 type grip is great for a full sized gun, but the thinness of the PPS grip and its texture was and remains perfect in my opinion. And I'm as accurate with it as I am with my larger pistols, even at distance. So I'm sticking with what I've got.

The PPS is made in Germany, and the dollar was weak against the euro when the PPS first came out. Since then the exchange rate has improved quite a lot, which is why the PPS is now priced so very competitively.

Another thing that initially hurt it was the magazine release. But I love the original design, myself. I find it easier to use. But because of all the complaints about it that so many people made, I'm not at all surprised that the Gen 2 now has a standard style mag release button.

The only thing that I did not really like about the Gen 1 was its finish, which was just not as tough as what my other guns had. That is why I had mine refinished. So to me, the Gen 2 now having a durable Glock type Tenifer finish is easily the biggest improvement of all, in the new model.

The PPS disassembles quick and easy, just like a Glock does. If you like Glocks, and want a more compact carry gun, the Gen 2 PPS is really a better choice than the new compact single stack Glocks, in my opinion.

And if you ever look at the insides of one, you will see that it is a real quality made Walther firearm. Robar Guns refinished all the metal parts of my PPS in their NP3 Plus. The action is now super slick to operate. Even smoothed the trigger pull some.

The gun hardly needs any lubrication at all now, due to the Teflon that is part of NP3. I just put a few little dabs of grease in key spots.

DSC6807b.jpg

Last Edited:
Anyone know anything about the new Walther like the price is it lefty friendly what are the changes i am very interested in buying a carry gun and a dealer said this should be of interest to me?
I've no knowledge of the new gun. A few years ago, I purchased a Smith-made PPKS which never did work properly. The factory paid to ship it back and forth 6 times (!) before finally refunding its purchase cost. Their techs were obviously so incapable or disinterested that I'll never again own a Walther, no matter what they call it. :mad: S&W soured me on the company with those shenanigans.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top