JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Has anyone managed to get their hands on one and shoot the new Walther? I'm interested in range reports from anyone at all who has had any experience with this close relative to the P22. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

No. The slide and frame are both made of steel. The overall characteristics of the PK380 are much like the P22, however, which is enough to give at least some folks pause. I've actually got one and have been shooting it a bit. I'm mostly curious as to whether anyone else has picked one up and what their reactions might be.

I just picked mine up the other day and am plesantly suprised. I was expecting the feel of the p22. It's built stronger and feels like a "real" pistol. Haven't shot it yet that will obviously be a big factor.

I'm with you on that, Iceberg: The gun does feel cheap. But, surprisingly, it has been a steady performer for a whole bunch of people since it was introduced. I have yet to read a negative review on it; the folks who have one and have been firing it regularly have had nothing but good things to say thus far: no failures, no problems, no issues of any kind. I've put a couple of hundred rounds through mine thus far and have been plesantly surprised -- even though it doesn't have the same feel that, say, a PPS or a P99 has. It may feel like a P22, but it has performed like a PPK thus far.

I'm with you on that, Iceberg: The gun does feel cheap. But, surprisingly, it has been a steady performer for a whole bunch of people since it was introduced. I have yet to read a negative review on it; the folks who have one and have been firing it regularly have had nothing but good things to say thus far: no failures, no problems, no issues of any kind. I've put a couple of hundred rounds through mine thus far and have been plesantly surprised -- even though it doesn't have the same feel that, say, a PPS or a P99 has. It may feel like a P22, but it has performed like a PPK thus far.

I'd take Searcher451's opinion with much more than a grain of salt-he's a/the moderator over at WaltherForums.com and knows what he's talking about(you'll find a wealth of Walther-related info over there w/links to even more info).

Purchased PK380 Oct 09; accurate, low recoil, easiest slide. However in cold weather (23 degrees F.), HP's did not eject. Carefully cleaned and lubricated after this cold shoot. My usual test with snap caps, after field strip and clean, resulted in first cap good eject; second cap froze up slide and I was unable to use gun. It is being sent back to Smith and Wesson.

No comparaison at all, in my aview, Sid. The PK380 is much more like the P22 than it is a PP- or a PPK-style pistol. If you've ever spent time with a P22, you'll know exactly what the PK380 is like to handle. The latest NRA magazine has an article on .380 autos, by the way, and the PK380 is one of 10 guns on the market currently that they review.

I'll be interested in hear your report, Coctailer. The gun has become quite a hit with the P22 crowd, which is no small surprise, given its overall similarity to that model. It's also been getting some bad press because of premature barrel wear, apparently caused by burrs on some of the pistols. You might want to check that out before your first range trip. Here's a link to a discussion that's currently ongoing on the Walther Forums:

<broken link removed>

Hope that it's of interest and/or some help.

I'm wondering what the use of this gun is meant to be. It's too big to be a pocket .380. If I'm carrying a gun on my hip it's going to be a larger caliber. I love my P22 and am sure this gun would feel nice as well, I'm just trying to figure out when it would ever get used.

I'll be interested in hear your report, Coctailer. The gun has become quite a hit with the P22 crowd, which is no small surprise, given its overall similarity to that model. It's also been getting some bad press because of premature barrel wear, apparently caused by burrs on some of the pistols. You might want to check that out before your first range trip. Here's a link to a discussion that's currently ongoing on the Walther Forums:

<broken link removed>

Hope that it's of interest and/or some help.

Thanks for the info Searcher,
I'm putting the one I get up for sale when it comes in, but I will be inspecting it.

Maniac, I'm assuming the draw to this gun is from the influx of new gun owners (post election) desiring something in .380.
Size-wise, it is between the "plinker" P22, and the "Combat style" P99. Something for the person with the desire for a "utility" gun.

Not my first choice for that role, but an interesting choice for someone looking for a small CCgun with style.

I handled one at a Gun store yesterday. A black one for
a very enticing $399.

My first reaction was to try to drop the empty mag from the gun.

Had a hard time managing the awkward P-99 type release.

Other than that, the gun felt and pointed very good, but the
mag release was the kicker.

Anyone that carries a P-99 or variant should be thrilled with this
new .380.

I'll be buying a PPK or SIG P238 for the next .380 that will be for my
other half.

Until then. My sub $399 Czech beauty is doing fine.

Purchased PK380 Oct 09; accurate, low recoil, easiest slide. However in cold weather (23 degrees F.), HP's did not eject. Carefully cleaned and lubricated after this cold shoot. My usual test with snap caps, after field strip and clean, resulted in first cap good eject; second cap froze up slide and I was unable to use gun. It is being sent back to Smith and Wesson.

Ouch! Let us know what happens...

Size-wise, it is between the "plinker" P22, and the "Combat style" P99. Something for the person with the desire for a "utility" gun. Not my first choice for that role, but an interesting choice for someone looking for a small CCgun with style.

I think that the PK380 is going to catch on fast with women shooters, both for range work and for concealed carry. The P22 already is a hit with the ladies, and the PK380 is more of the same with a bit more power.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top