JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hyper tough tool box/chest 41x18 top and bottom hyper tough tool box/chest for 79 for the bottom and 59 for the top.

If you like cheap but good tool box/chest check it out. These are made by waterloo. Snap on quality... no but they are pretty darn good for the price.

Hyper Tough 41" Wide 5-Drawer Tool Cabinet, Black - Walmart Inventory Checker - BrickSeek

Hyper Tough 41" Wide 4-Drawer Tool Chest, Black - Walmart Inventory Checker - BrickSeek

Hyper tough tool box REVIEW: See it at this link >> Walmart Hyper Tough 5 drawer 41" x 18" tool box Review

1. I agree to the classified rules and terms of service
Last Edited:
That's a nice looking toolbox, Robert.
I've relied on a 6-drawer Kennedy top box for about 50 years now.
I opted for a Craftsman 4-drawer bottom with the large cavity bottom and a slide out work table in the late 80's, when I worked in the auto shop at Sears.
I've since added another Kennedy side box with 4 shelves and a locking door.
All has served me well for many years now.

Dean

Last Edited:
20190828_194926.jpg
20190828_194926-2.jpg

Got the bottom tool box, they were out of the matching top chest.

Brickseek Shows 1 in stock at 2 other walmarts 40 & 55 miles away.

Think I might call the other two walmarts tomorrow mourning to see if they might be able to confirm any of the matching top chest on hand. If so I'll ask for them to save it for me or just jump in the truck and haul A$$. I would like to have the matching top chest but am happy I was able to score this one, it was 85 out the door.

These do not have any bench style top, they are meant to have another tool chest on top. If I can't get the top box I'll find something to use as a top and bolt it on.

:D

Last Edited:
View attachment 612487
View attachment 612495

Got the bottom tool box, they were out of the matching top chest.

Brickseek Shows 1 in stock at 2 other walmarts 40 & 55 miles away.

Think I might call the other two walmarts tomorrow mourning to see if they might be able to confirm any of the matching top chest on hand. If so I'll ask for them to save it for me or just jump in the truck and haul A$$. I would like to have the matching top chest but am happy I was able to score this one, it was 85 out the door.

These do not have any bench style top, they are meant to have another tool chest on top. If I can't get the top box I'll find something to use as a top and bolt it on.

:D
how does this compare to harbor freight boxes in same price range?

how does this compare to harbor freight boxes in same price range?
There is nothing HF has in this price range unless your talking about the regular retail price of the walmart unit and I dont know what that is. HF stuff when it comes to tool chest are pretty decent I got one of the last 48 x 18 tool chest with the wood top. Now they have a similar one but with doors instead of drawers.

My HF box is good but not great. The drawers do work well but grab one off center and it tweaks sideways a bit, this means the main box framwork is flexing. Drawers do open/close pretty smooth even with some decent weight, they have that soft close feature, it works decently and "usually" does not cause problems, specially after you load the drawers with weight.

From what I could tell with the walmart/waterloo box, from moving the drawers in/out on the store demo, it was pretty good. Grabed drawers well off center and open/close them and they worked smooth.

I won't really know until I unload it tomorrow & assemble it and load some of the drawers and see how they work.

I can tell you this, it is one heavy son of a gun though. Had to get help from a wally worker to load it. Sucker has some heft.

~

There is nothing HF has in this price range unless your talking about the regular retail price of the walmart unit and I dont know what that is. HF stuff when it comes to tool chest are pretty decent I got one of the last 48 x 18 tool chest with the wood top. Now they have a similar one but with doors instead of drawers.

My HF box is good but not great. The drawers do work well but grab one off center and it tweaks sideways a bit, this means the main box framwork is flexing. Drawers do open/close pretty smooth even with some decent weight, they have that soft close feature, it works decently and "usually" does not cause problems, specially after you load the drawers with weight.

From what I could tell with the walmart/waterloo box, from moving the drawers in/out on the store demo, it was pretty good. Grabed drawers well off center and open/close them and they worked smooth.

I won't really know until I unload it tomorrow & assemble it and load some of the drawers and see how they work.

I can tell you this, it is one heavy son of a gun though. Had to get help from a wally worker to load it. Sucker has some heft.

~
can you post an update once you throw some weight in the drawers? Thanks for the heads up on this deal.

can you post an update once you throw some weight in the drawers? Thanks for the heads up on this deal.
Sure but I won't be able to until tomorrow evening.

There are some reviews on the walmart website if those might help, here are links.

Hyper Tough 41" Wide 5-Drawer Tool Cabinet, Black - Walmart.com

Hyper Tough 41" Wide 4-Drawer Tool Chest, Black - Walmart.com

I would move on this if you think you might want one and they are available in your area walmart.

~

Last Edited:
I am going to wait for price to drop at other walmarts closer to me.

I like to negotiate. I would find out via some questions who makes that decision to set the price. Then ask for the same low price other walmarts are selling for.

Worst thing that can happen is they say no, then you just smile, thank them sincerely, say you appreciate them talking to you, have a nice day and walk away.

Walmart is losing $$ at 120 or what ever so lowering the price to 79 like other stores is not going to matter one bit and they will if you convince them by asking in a nice way with tact and respect.

Retail store people meet a lot of idiots who act like spoiled children if they don't get their way. So if you are nice and ask and smile and be cool, they appreciate that and will often respond via giving you that lower price.

Even if they don't you then know who they are and can say hi if you see them in the store, they like nice respectful people who are pleasant in a sincere way because so many are not.

~

Robert,

I remember when the long toolboxes were kind of a new thing.
A guy I worked with at another shop got a long top, middle and bottom from the Mac man.
He was a bit on the short side, so anything he wanted out of the top box, he had to pull drawers out on the bottom and use them as steps. (The thing was tall. Well over 6 feet)
One day he had too many drawers open and the whole thing came tumbling down.
Took him most of the morning to get all his tools back into it.
Nice thing about those long bottoms, you get a rubber pad to set on it and use a regular sized top box and you have the rest of the bottom box to use as a work surface.
Works pretty slick like that.
Some guys will get a piece of wood to set into part of the open section so they don't dent or twist the bottom box out of shape.

Dean

well I am striking out finding a matching 41" wide top box any where withing driving distance. I think I'll go with the 26" wide box, it is 88 bucks and in stock locally. That will leave me 15" of space to collect junk, I mean to use as a work surface haha.

One thing to note, if any Walmart withing driving distance has ether of these boxes and you do want one or both the top and bottom box, but maybe can't drive there "today" or "right now" you can go online, change to that store as "your store" check and verify you are looking at that store and then buy online. Then you can drive to pick it up later on the week end or what ever.

Warning to those who might buy both the top and bottom box, these are big and you will need a pickup with plenty of bed space. I have a camper shell and the large top box had to be laid sideways and slid in long ways. Getting both top and bottom boxes in there I think would barely fit.

This is a waterloo USA made box, even though I have not yet unpacked mine, I think it is going to be a great box and with the low price, certainly one of the single best scores I ever made at 85 bucks out the door.

Grab one if you can as this is a deal the likes of you will hardly ever see, probably never again on this type of tool box.

Ha, just went to unpack this box and come to find out some one played musical keys, the box top was open but keys were there, never thought to test them to see if they were the actual keys to this box.

NO... they are not and wally can't help me. So go ahead and laugh.....

I opened the lock bump/jiggle style. Have not contacted waterloo yet but there are places online that sell replacement keys for about 7 bucks each.

I was thinking maybe I could find one of the 26" top boxes that have the same key code as my bottom box and solve it that way. I checked the ones in stock at the local wally but no joy, none of them match my key code.

On the other hand.... My 2 vary old craftsman boxes have not had the top closed and locked in the 20 plus yrs I have had them so maybe I'll just not worry about it.

Left my name/number for the hardware manager in case some one shows up like me with a box they just bought and can't open and they need the keys I have. If that did happen who knows maybe they got my keys and we can simply swap and be good to go.

~

Last Edited:
REVIEW: Walmart - hyper tough 5 drawer 41" x 18" tool box.

Finally got to put the wheels on and test this box better. It is disappointing, lighter duty unit. I would be returning it if I had paid 300 bucks for it.

It is certainly not as good as my 48" x 18" harbor freight box that I bought 1 yr ago and is similar size & cost around $250 on sale. I have machine tools, lathe chucks etc in that box and it is working just fine and the drawers are holding the weight.

The wally box ball bearing drawers seem to open/close smooth but feel cheaper and more loose then the HF drawers.

On this walmart box the wheels attach with sheet metal style screws :eek:. I figured out how to remove the bottom drawer, it is easy and I'm going to replace the screws with 1/4 bolts, washers and lock nuts or nylock nuts with red locktite so they stay on no matter what. I do not want the box to loose a wheel if I am moving it around in the future. My HF box uses bolts and threaded inserts for the wheels.

I bought his box to keep kydex plastic sheets and holster forming tools such as blue guns vacuum forming plates etc. I'm sure it will be just dandy for this lighter stuff and since I paid 85 bucks for it out the door, I am happy, it is not junk, just lighter duty. I do also need the top work space this will provide but I'll have to find a bench top for it.

~

Last Edited:
Good review Robert. Thanks. =)
Home Depot and Tractor Supply Co are having Labor Day sales right now. You might be able to find a chunk of Butcher Block at one of those places for a decent price.

Good review Robert. Thanks. =)
Home Depot and Tractor Supply Co are having Labor Day sales right now. You might be able to find a chunk of Butcher Block at one of those places for a decent price.

Butcher block would be way to fancy and get beat and scratched up pretty quick. I have a few unused sections of 5/8 cement board, might use that as it would be "heat proof". I am going to set my kydex [toaster] oven on this. Later I am getting a t-shirt style heat press to heat plastic for vacuum forming so yet another item that "gets hot". So leaning towards that cement board specially since I already have it. Maybe I'll get fancy and pain it? I'll just need to see how it looks after I cut and install it.

Also, noticed one of my neighbors has what looks like a large thick table top in the scrap pile next to their garage. Might have to inquire about that. Free or something I already have is better then 80 bucks for a section of butcher block I will just scratch up as this is for production work and I can't afford to baby it.

If I used that table top from the neighbors I could screw on some 2 by 4 uprights and then install some peg board. I just finished a heavy duty work bench and did that, put peg board backing and it's already full. Having more peg board to hang tools or bins would be good.

~

I bought one of each for $59 and $79 (plus tax) I could only get the top box in my Corolla today, these things are huge. Sunday I will use my harbor freight cargo rack installed in my hitch to haul the bottom box home. They had both pieces on display at 104th store near Mill Plain and 205. They are not super sturdy but for my purposes they will do just fine. Right now all the stuff that will populate these boxes is in bags and cardboard boxes strewn about my limited workspace. If I was putting a bunch of metal tools in them I would expect to have to beef up the drawers a little bit. For the price and the amount of cubic inches of storage in these things the value is unbeatable imho.

The best part of the trip was that they had clearance bullets and primers. I bought 1800 bullets for $176 plus tax, I left a few boxes. The bullets I bought were mostly 308, some 6mm, 200 were 10mm pistol and 100 were .224. They were Sierra, Hornady and Nosler brands. I asked the dept manager if he would give me an additional discount if I bought a bunch and he marked each 100ct box down an additional $2. They also had CCI primers for a buck a sleeve, I picked up all 18 sleeves (sorry, couldn't help myself). Dopamine levels were flying today.

I left some serious sales tax dollars ($45) up there today, your welcome Washingtonians. Tell the legislature not to spend it all in one place.

Butcher block would be way to fancy and get beat and scratched up pretty quick. I have a few unused sections of 5/8 cement board, might use that as it would be "heat proof". I am going to set my kydex [toaster] oven on this. Later I am getting a t-shirt style heat press to heat plastic for vacuum forming so yet another item that "gets hot". So leaning towards that cement board specially since I already have it. Maybe I'll get fancy and pain it? I'll just need to see how it looks after I cut and install it.

Also, noticed one of my neighbors has what looks like a large thick table top in the scrap pile next to their garage. Might have to inquire about that. Free or something I already have is better then 80 bucks for a section of butcher block I will just scratch up as this is for production work and I can't afford to baby it.

If I used that table top from the neighbors I could screw on some 2 by 4 uprights and then install some peg board. I just finished a heavy duty work bench and did that, put peg board backing and it's already full. Having more peg board to hang tools or bins would be good.

~
Apologies Robert.
I used to be a mechanic, so whenever useage of a toolbox becomes the topic of conversation, I tend to think in those terms.
Of course, your needs are far different.
The cement board sounds like a good way to go.
You'll have to post a pic of the entire setup, once you get it all up and running, in the post pics of things you've made thread.
Congrats on your latest grab. :s0155:

Dean

Apologies Robert.
I used to be a mechanic, so whenever useage of a toolbox becomes the topic of conversation, I tend to think in those terms.
Of course, your needs are far different.
The cement board sounds like a good way to go.
You'll have to post a pic of the entire setup, once you get it all up and running, in the post pics of things you've made thread.
Congrats on your latest grab. :s0155:

Dean

No apologies needed my friend, we all have our needs/wants expectations from our tools and equipment etc

These walmart boxes are not great but they are great values at 85 bucks out the door. It's a case of "good enough" is "good enough" when you can get a deal like this.

Photos, it will just be a tool box with peg board back and a simple bench top. Then I'll do my best to make it look as used as possible because that will mean I'm making stuff and it's selling. :)

~

That's a nice looking toolbox, Robert.
I've relied on a 6-drawer Kennedy top box for about 50 years now.
I opted for a Craftsman 3-drawer bottom with the large cavity bottom and a slide out work table in the late 80's, when I worked in the auto shop at Sears.
I've since added another Kennedy side box with 4 shelves and a locking door.
All has served me well for many years now.

Dean
I've been using it for 3 years, it's very good quality

Members are allowed to ask whatever they want for items posted in the classified sections. If you don't like the price of an item, simply move on. Posting negative comments will result in the revocation of your classified privileges.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top