JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Anyone own either of these? Looking for a sub-16 ounce scope for a lightweight mountain rifle. I have a few Vortexes (Razors and Vipers) and have been happy with them, so I'm tempted to go the Vortex route, but don't want to discount the AccuPoint. I don't need the illumination of the AccuPoint but it is interesting to me.

I'm specifically looking at the 1.5-8 or 2.5-10 HD LH and the 3-9 AccuPoint. Weight is within 3 oz for all models compared. I've looked at a wide range of scopes including the Swaro Z3's and Leupold VX-3is. After comparing everything and reading about a billion different reviews, I've really narrowed it down to the two scopes listed above. Both seem to have pretty good reviews but there is more out there on the AccuPoint than the HD LH.

Any specific input on optical quality/durability/eye box/light transmission/anything else pertinent on these two?

I don't have experience with the vortex razor, but I do own several trijicon Accupoints. In 3x9x40 mil dot green and 2.5x10x56 mil dot in green.

I love the scope, glass is crystal clear, the illuminated reticle makes it operate similar to a red dot if you keep both eyes open. I don't shoot with 1 eye closed.

Only things I would change is make the variable adjustment ring have a included pronounced adjustment nob, and make the adjustments in mil rather than MOA, I find it strange to have my reticle be in mils and my adjustments be in MOA

Last Edited:
If price is an issue, the Leupold 3x9x40 Mark AR Mod 1 is an awesome scope for the money, at about $300 I find it has equivalent glass to the Trijicon Accupoint, it's extremely light and has stood up to abuse on many of my rifles for several years.

It is actually my go to riflescope for any basic rifle use that doesn't specifically require 1x magnification. Or significantly more magnification than 9x. It has external adjustment nobs and one model comes with mil adjustment nobs and a mil reticle, the elevation nob you can actually get a custom one from Leupold for $60 and if your data is spot on for your load, it will be able to be spot on on your dial as long as you judge the distance right.

Don't get me wrong, I love the accupoint also, but for me, if the illumination wasn't necessary or specifically desired I would get the Leupold Mark AR Mod 1 in 3x9x40 just because it is massive value for the money which then I could use on more stuff I wanted.

make the adjustments in mil rather than MOA, I find it strange to have my reticle be in mils and my adjustments be in MOA

Yeah this bugs me too, but it's not a deal breaker since I don't plan on dialing elevation after I get it zeroed.

If price is an issue, the Leupold 3x9x40 Mark AR Mod 1 is an awesome scope for the money, at about $300 I find it has equivalent glass to the Trijicon Accupoint, it's extremely light and has stood up to abuse on many of my rifles for several years.

Yeah the Mark AR's have their place but it's not on this rifle. I don't want exposed turrets and while I think they're decent, when I looked at them I didn't they were on the same level as the AccuPoints or Razors. Good to know you like yours though, I was planning on picking one up for an AR.

Yeah this bugs me too, but it's not a deal breaker since I don't plan on dialing elevation after I get it zeroed.

Yeah the Mark AR's have their place but it's not on this rifle. I don't want exposed turrets and while I think they're decent, when I looked at them I didn't they were on the same level as the AccuPoints or Razors. Good to know you like yours though, I was planning on picking one up for an AR.

If exposed turrets are an issue, then as you say, the Leupold Mark AR mod 1 is out, regarding the MOA adjustments and mil dot for the accupoint. There is still 5 mills of elevation built into the reticle, so as long as you know your hold overs and your trajectory table, 5 mils of elevation could serve you very well and adjustments would never be needed to dial the scope.

Depending on the terrain in which you plan to use this scope/rifle. The inherent illumination of the accupoint could be the winner. The reason why I say that is because I do a lot of shooting out in the woods (mountains of the cle elum region) with a backdrop of trees and dark colored terrain, a standard reticle blends in pretty well with the darkness of the terrain and backdrop. The green tritium illumination ensures that I know exactly where my reticle is pointing at all times, even when it is a very fast target acquisition and shot.

I gave one of my accupoints to my uncle because his eyes are older than mine by about 28 years and when he looked through the accupoint compared to a standard crosshair he said it was a night and day difference and would never use another scope because the tritium dot provides an aiming point that is easy to see when another scope's reticle would get lost in the darkness of the backdrop.

The difference between the 3x9 and the 2.5x10 is a one inch tube or a 30mm tube. The huge 56mm objective on the 2.5x10 gives a tremendous amount of light transmission and because it goes down to 2.5 magnification, I find it very easy to use as a close distance scope. I personally prefer the 30mm eye piece because it provides a larger FOV, but I find that the 3x9x10 accupoint fits perfectly on the AR15 and the 2.5x10x56 was too large for my desires on the AR, although that would be a great scope in my opinion for a hunting rig.

If you go the Accupoint route, ditch the included eyepiece immediately and pick up some butler creek blizzard scope covers. They do a much better job of giving you the ability to shoot with the covers on and then very quickly allow you to shoot with them open (not engaged) as well. I like them because I am not always shooting in perfect weather and I don't want to get my glass all gummed up, but I can still shoot with them closed and the clarity is about the same.

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't found anybody who will say anything bad about the AccuPoint (maybe that's what they call a clue). I'd just like to know a little more about the Razor HD LH before I make up my mind.

There is still 5 mills of elevation built into the reticle, so as long as you know your hold overs and your trajectory table, 5 mils of elevation could serve you very well and adjustments would never be needed to dial the scope.

Exactly my plan.

The difference between the 3x9 and the 2.5x10 is a one inch tube or a 30mm tube. The huge 56mm objective on the 2.5x10 gives a tremendous amount of light transmission and because it goes down to 2.5 magnification, I find it very easy to use as a close distance scope.

Pretty stuck on the 3-9 if I go AccuPoint. It weighs in at a svelte 12.8oz, while the 2.5-10's are 22.4 and 20.7 depending on which model.

Thanks for the feedback. I haven't found anybody who will say anything bad about the AccuPoint (maybe that's what they call a clue). I'd just like to know a little more about the Razor HD LH before I make up my mind.

Exactly my plan.

Pretty stuck on the 3-9 if I go AccuPoint. It weighs in at a svelte 12.8oz, while the 2.5-10's are 22.4 and 20.7 depending on which model.

Yeah, I wouldn't recommend the 2.5x10 unless that is what you specifically wanted. The 3x9 currently sits on an AR of mine and a keltec RFB, they work great. Someone else can chime in on the vortex razor, I don't own those.

The vortex razer line are also very nice scopes in that price range. I run a accupower 1-8x on my competition AR. I got it for a deal I couldn't pass up. You can't go wrong with either.

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top