JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was talking to my brother today and we both decided we would like to do some varmint hunting and he suggested we try to find someone with property that would like some help with pest problems but neither of us really know anyone with property like this. Does anyone have any leads or suggestions on how to go about finding people with property like this or is this just not something people would do? We are in the SW Portland area and could travel for the right situation. Any leads or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time!

No ones going to give you that info. Not to be nasty but just blunt.

These threads pop up about 12 times a year.

Best advice I've seen is to drive eats for a few hours and find a feed store. Bring a bottle of something good and ask around of the customers if they could use something like varment shooters on their land. Sell yourself and you might find someone willing to take the risk of having you on their property.

Best of Luck;)

I was talking to my brother today and we both decided we would like to do some varmint hunting and he suggested we try to find someone with property that would like some help with pest problems but neither of us really know anyone with property like this. Does anyone have any leads or suggestions on how to go about finding people with property like this or is this just not something people would do? We are in the SW Portland area and could travel for the right situation. Any leads or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time!
Best opportunities are due East of your location.
Before driving and knocking on doors cold turkey, try making a few calls first.
Here are the ODFW Field office numbers :
(Of course, know how far you want to drive first)
ODFW Local Offices

Also, look up the local gun shops on the East Side and make some calls.
If you get some good advice/contacts be sure to stop by the shop and buy something.

Ranchers fear their livestock getting shot and their irrigation pipes getting shot up so be sure to represent yourself as a safe, careful hunter.

Good luck

I can certainly understand that. We are both almost 40 with good jobs and no criminal record so I don't expect any issues, but property owners don't know that. We aren't looking to kill everything is sight either, just honest shooting that can possibly help someone out.

Hunting good places on the East Side is sometimes all about developing good relationships with landowners.
Especially for birds and varmints.
I know guys that have certain ranchers on their Christmas lists.

Then there's always public land and Pay-to-Play.
Building a friendship with a rancher is much more rewarding, though.

I would prefer to get to know people with property than anything else. I don't mind just driving around and finding spots either but if we can meet new folks and do some good that would be ideal.

I have another question regarding varmint hunting. is there public land where we can go or is that not okay? If so can you help me understand what is legal? Thanks!

Seems I need a hunting license for hunting varmints but I don't see what land is legal/illegal? My brother thought BLM land is the only public land you can hunt varmints.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top