JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hey Folks,

I'm new here. I'm a big upland bird hunter. Wondering how everyone's season is going? I have been out a few times and plan to head to the Wenatchee this weekend to get some Grouse.

Since it's a firearm forum, I'll mention that right now I use a Beretta 12 ga. A400 Unico. I did just buy a used 20 ga. Beretta O/U 686 which I'm very excited for, mainly for the weight savings. I have another Beretta O/U 686 in a sporting length for clays, which would SUCK to lug around the field or woods all day. 32 inches of steel is not light...

Also, I wanted to share a recent experience with Carhartt Upland pants. I was really excited to see they offered these this year and as even happier when I saw the $70 price tag. First day of hunting in them EVERY thorn went right through. I was super pissed. By the end of the day the double/ outer fabric was totally chewed up. Ridiculous. They obviously didn't product test them at all, at least not in real world NW bird hunting conditions. Anyway the store took them back, but the punk at the counter made it out to be my fault and had ZERO interest my feedback. He even wrote the return code of "didn't want them" which I saw on the receipt. I'd imagine someone at HQ would want to know, but with people like that working at their stores, they will for sure never get the feedback. Hoping to save you all the hassle. Back to my trusty double tin pants, though they are very very warm for this early fall season.

I got 8 grouse over the weekend (sat/sun/mon). Saw lots of pheasants and turkeys in the open fields, but I was mainly after grouse. The area I was in must not receive any hunting pressure because I shot 3 grouse in one spot.

That 686 will be a dream to shoot. I've always wanted one.

Have you tried Filson pants? They are pretty tough (expensive!).

I got 8 grouse over the weekend (sat/sun/mon). Saw lots of pheasants and turkeys in the open fields, but I was mainly after grouse. The area I was in must not receive any hunting pressure because I shot 3 grouse in one spot.

Yes, as I mentioned at the end of the post, I have a trust pair of double tins that are like armor, but for this early in the season they are really warm. I run hot, which doesn't help. Thanks for the kind words on the 686. I LOVE my Silver Pigeon Sporting 686 that i've had for 8 years or so now.

Man, I haven't hunted upland in a long time. Would love to go some time. This may sound like a stupid question but you gotta dog, scifidelity?
Watching a good hound work the field is half the fun! =)
As for your Carhartt experience, I'd write a nice little note to the company (there's usually a feedback section at company websites these days) about the pants you bought, and the little jerk behind the counter.
If they follow through, either that kid will a lot more professional the next time you deal with him, or you'll be dealing with someone else.
Here's their Contact Us page - Contact Us | Carhartt

Dean

Man, I haven't hunted upland in a long time. Would love to go some time. This may sound like a stupid question but you gotta dog, scifidelity?
Watching a good hound work the field is half the fun! =)
As for your Carhartt experience, I'd write a nice little note to the company (there's usually a feedback section at company websites these days) about the pants you bought, and the little jerk behind the counter.
If they follow through, either that kid will a lot more professional the next time you deal with him, or you'll be dealing with someone else.
Here's their Contact Us page - Contact Us | Carhartt

Dean

Hey Dean- Thanks for the reply...regarding Carhartt- Good idea, I should do that.

I don't have a bird dog at the moment. My lab of 14.5 years passed away in the spring. First bird season for me without a dog ever I think. It's tough for many reasons. I've been fairly successful considering though. I just have to remember to stop walking regularly in the right places and stop for long enough, then it spooks them out. You are more than welcome to head out with me sometime. I'm always looking for hunting partners, I don't have any friends in WA that hunt. I moved here from Minnesota 4 years ago. Bird hunting was religion in the fall there.

:s0101:

Sorry to read about your lab passing. They are with us for such a short time.

I tried hunting w/o a bird dog... it's just almost not worth it. Discovered the stopping trick accidently while pheasant hunting when I stopped at the junction of two fences to take a leak, leaned my O/U against the fence, and 5 birds busted out, one at a time... I would not pick up my shotty, thinking they were done, then whoosh, another one!! :rolleyes: But my main concern when not having a dog in the hunt was lost birds. They hide in the brush, go down holes, and are wasted. Wasn't something I wanted to continue.

Now I can't manage to walk around out there anyway. But I do miss it. Enjoy!!!!

Sorry about losing your buddy sci, I lost my weimaraner buddy almost two years ago and was just recently able to add another puppy to the house, even though I've had numerous dogs over my life this one was rough for a few reasons for myself as well. It's as tough as losing family because they are family. Here's hoping you eventually find yourself with a new fur family member.

I haven't hunted birds since I moved up here, but when I was younger my family hunted quail and dove in Arizona. I've never had a decent bird/trap shotgun but there is an outdoor range not too far from me with trap and my grandpas stories of shooting trap with his buddies back in the day have made me want to give it a try. If I hunt I want to eat what I shoot, what's the best eating bird to shoot in this area?

How far are you from Vantucky? I didn't think there were many birds within a 2 hour drive. Seems like most people are driving 4+ hours?

Hey Dean- Thanks for the reply...regarding Carhartt- Good idea, I should do that.

I don't have a bird dog at the moment. My lab of 14.5 years passed away in the spring. First bird season for me without a dog ever I think. It's tough for many reasons. I've been fairly successful considering though. I just have to remember to stop walking regularly in the right places and stop for long enough, then it spooks them out. You are more than welcome to head out with me sometime. I'm always looking for hunting partners, I don't have any friends in WA that hunt. I moved here from Minnesota 4 years ago. Bird hunting was religion in the fall there.
Hunting, period, was a religion in my family when I was a kid. My dad loved getting out there and he loved taking me and my brother with him.
As I got older, I gravitated away from deer hunting and more to upland bird hunting.
I think I loved getting out and stretching my legs, watching the dog work and shooting the gun (usually a plus ;) ).
Deer hunting was more about sitting for long hours and waiting for the deer to come to me (which it almost never did :rolleyes:).
That being said, I think one of the most beautiful hikes I have yet taken was on a deer hunting trip with my dad in Yakima in my early teens.
We ended up on top of a very high hill and it seemed like we could see forever.
I've got a couple of 20 gauges; an H&R single and my dad's 1100 lightweight. Both I can shoot fairly well.
No dog is kinda of a minus for me, for the same reasons bbbass mentioned.
I used to do the stopping thing, too, but it was more about getting one's bearings and keeping the dogs reigned in. Never thought it would actually effect the flush. Interesting tactic.
I'm just across the other side of the sound, so getting out to you shouldn't be too much of a problem.
Let's see how things progress this year. I might be in touch.
Either way, nice to meet you. =)

Dean

Last Edited:
Yeah, hunting without a dog (we used to call it "poor boy hunting" in college) is rough. It's basically a nice walk in the outdoors carrying a shotgun.
Reminds me of the time I went grouse hunting with my brother out by The Roy Y.
In those days, my dad owned a real nice German Shorthair that was heavy on the Bloodhound.
I mentioned that I would be bringing the dog and he's like, "Naw, you don't need the dog. Just pop'em off the tree branch. I'll show ya' ".
….so, we were dog-less...
We were coming out of, what looked like, a bunch of big Christmas trees, and I hear "fup, fup, fup, fup…", as we come around a corner. I run up and take a shot, but missed.
I'm like, "there he goes!"...…..and my brother just watched him fly away. I think he may have said, "yep".
At that point, my thinking was "yeah, we're not gonna get too many birds today".
It was a nice hike, though, and later, my brother showed me how cool a set of 33-1200's were on a dirt hill (yee-haw!).
...and we've never hunted together since. ;)

Dean

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads