JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I bought a S&W EZ in 9mm for my wife to use backpacking. I took it out to test fire it today and it was malfunctioning on almost round. The problem was failure to go into battery.
I tried several different 115 grain factory loads. Nothing but jams. It did run better on my polymer coated 147 gr handloads.
I realize the selling point on these is the ease of cycling the slide. The recoil spring just seemed too weak to push the slide fully into battery.
Has anybody else run into this problem? Does anyone know of a stronger recoil spring for these?

Thanks
Scott

I would try removing the barrel and plunk test a box of rounds. Set aside any that don't pass the plunk test. Take all the rounds that do pass and try running them. You may have another issue besides low RSA weight.

Thank you for your reply. I should have been more specific. The bullet nose is hanging up on the feed ramp. The round doesn't even make it to the chamber.
Maybe a different bullet design would help. All rounds tried were round nose. Mostly FMJ. I wonder if polishing the feed ramp would help.

Thank you for your reply. I should have been more specific. The bullet nose is hanging up on the feed ramp. The round doesn't even make it to the chamber.
Maybe a different bullet design would help. All rounds tried were round nose. Mostly FMJ. I wonder if polishing the feed ramp would help.
Make sure the magazine is fully inserted and doesn't have damaged feed lips, maybe also try polishing the feed ramp.

Make sure you are holding the pistol very firmly so that the recoil energy is only moving the slide and not causing the gun to buck. These small light pistols are prone to this.

I ran some heavier bullet ammo today. Tried Federal 124 fmj and Blazer brass 124 fmj. The federal didn't run well in this gun at all.
The Blazer 124 ran perfect. Even tried shooting it weak hand with a very loose grip. Still perfect function. Problem solved.
Thanks for the help guys.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads