JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have an old Rem 700 in 25-06 and it is in need of a new trigger. I would not mind if it had the same weight of pull of my other Rem 700 (which has the x-mark pro) so an adjustable pull weight would be nice.

Keep in mind this is for a hunting rifle. Also, I would like it to be adjustable, though it does not have to go really low. Lets say somewhere between 2 and 5 lbs adjustable. Willing to part with between $100 & $200 for this little upgrade.

I have always thought I would put a Timney in my 25-06 but I decided I would ask the question of the forum guys if there is another brand out there I should consider before I ... wait for it... wait for it... pull the trigger.
(Sorry couldn't help my dad joke). :s0115:

Last Edited:
Timney is great, also check out the Trigger Tech Primary model. The Trigger Tech is adjustable from the underside of the trigger housing and you do not need to remove the action from the stock to make adjustments. The adjustment screw has tactile/audible "clicks" that adjust the trigger in 1 ounce per click. Pretty nice.

TriggerTech:[product title],[variant title]

Jewel trigger.

My replaced Rem 700 trigger is laying there in the shop staring at me.
Still trying to figure out what it's saying. Other than Rem "You ¥££¥s"

My question is, what does a guy gain by going to a spendy trigger like a Jewel, over say a Timney or rifle basix? Keep in mind the op is wanting a trigger for his hunting rifle.... He's also wanting to keep it between "2 and 5 pounds" and under $200.00... What are the pull weights for a Jewel? I know they have what they call the hunter varmint rifle (HVR) trigger, that is set to 1 pound... I personally wouldn't hunt with a 1 pound trigger, or hunt around anyone with a 1 pound trigger... JMHO... If you could, post a link to a Jewel trigger that would be suitable for hunting. I'm with the op, 2 to 5 pound adjustment keeps things a little safer in the field...

I saw that one, when I first started researching. All my other hunting rifles are single stage, so I do not feel the need for 2-stage (even though I like that on a MSR). I just want to keep my hunting rifles constant.

I also wouldn't switch things up with a 2 stage in a big game hunting rifle. I love them on my precision AR's, but thats a different ball game...

I have a Timney trigger on my "modern" hunting rifle and like it very much.
Andy

I put Timney's on everything that needs replacing. I leave my pre 64 triggers alone, as they can be fine tuned to damn near perfection. Same goes for any model 70 trigger. The new MOA trigger can be made to be very good (2.5 pound pull) with a simple spring replacement. Sporterized military rifles all get Timney's, Remington 700's get Timney's. Old savage and steven's 200 rifles get Timeney's or rifle basix. Ruger 77 mkII's get fine tuned and polished like the model 70's... However, more material needs to be removed on the sear of the 77 to make them worth while... Some triggers can be made perfect with just a little elbow grease, while others need a complete removal and the rem 700 is one of those. I don't trust them from the factory...

Pre-64 Winchester triggers are very nice indeed.
I like the Timmey triggers on the Remington series of 721 / 700 rifles as well...having owned a few at various times...
Its kinda funny my "Modern Hunting Rifle" , being a JC Higgins Model 50 in .30-06 , circa 1950 something...is to me at least "modern" ...to others its an antique...:D
While these are excellent if overlooked rifles ...the "issue" trigger is a bit ugh and could use some work...the Timmey for it
makes for a nice , clean trigger break with no creep.
Andy

Jewel trigger is externally adjustable for pull, letoff(?two stage), and over travel.
Screws are nylon locked.
Pull weight is 1 1/2 to 3lbs
$205
Brownells video specs.

Edit: 48 oz divided by 16 =3 not 4. 3lbs. Sorry.. basic math is hard....

Last Edited:
I didn't know they made Timney triggers for Civil War rifles.
While said in jest and it was indeed funny...

Some of the best triggers that I have are on some guns from the 1850's -60's era.
Here is a double set trigger on a St. Louis made "Plains Rifle" circa 1850.
If you shoot the rifle with the front trigger unset , the trigger pull is a few pounds...if you first set the trigger , by pulling the rear trigger first , then the trigger pull is about half of that...
All in all , they can be smooth and crisp enough to rival a modern trigger.
Andy
DSC06621 (1).jpg

While said in jest and it was indeed funny...

Some of the best triggers that I have are on some guns from the 1850's -60's era.
Here is a double set trigger on a St. Louis made "Plains Rifle" circa 1850.
If you shoot the rifle with the front trigger unset , the trigger pull is a few pounds...if you first set the trigger , by pulling the rear trigger first , then the trigger pull is about half of that...
All in all , they can be smooth and crisp enough to rival a modern trigger.
Andy
View attachment 572400
Well now you're making me jealous.

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR