JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
This was a find Sunday morning at our local OAC gun show. A 1873 Trapdoor Springfield with some unique history. The gun is marked with MGM Studios marking, and appears to be internally in unfired condition. The gunsmith who owned this rifle passed away Tuesday, and before he retired a lot of us locals used him for color case, rust bluing, and stock replacement. George was in the same class as Al Springer, and this was a rifle he was restoring for himself, but never finished. He got the breech block color cased, and got the new stock inletted and fitted, but didn't get the bluing done, or the stock externally sanded or finished.
The the gun was in sad shape externally as many movie guns are, but the bore appears as new inside! Everything mechanically is like new, so George just planned to refinish and restock it before he passed. A mutual friend brought some of George's guns in to sell, and I grabbed this one as an easy project to finish up. All the hard work is done, so once it's sanded, and rust blued, then it's set to go.
I also got a small box full of Trapdoor parts including another complete action, and a bunch of other assorted parts for the actions. So I'll see if things like the trigger and tang assembly are maybe better than the one on the gun, or if I might need any spares before selling off the extra parts.

9nJA4H0l.jpg

gM2Rw3ul.jpg

Vpf3S8ql.jpg

c5qizUsl.jpg

Today I removed all the metal, and barreled action from the stock, and began sanding the semi inletted surface down. The stock work is amazingly well done, and it only took about an hour to get the surface from 80 grit, to 120 grit, and finally 320 grit. It sanded easier than any semi finished stock set I've ever worked.
I got the first coat of finish applied today before setting it aside for now. I'll finish the stock before moving on to the bluing of the metal parts.

Cool guns, and it looks like you got a good project. Once you are done, you might turn the extra action into a 45 colt carbine. Congrats DR
For whatever reason I've never had any attraction to carbines on any rifle make. I've always been attracted to extra long barrels, so the vast majority of my 1800's rifles have 30"-34" barrels.
I'll probably take the spare receiver and parts back to our monthly show and sell whatever I don't keep as spares for this Trapdoor. I like .45 Colt in handguns.

Back in the '50s my dad bought a beautiful one at an estate sale in Pennsylvania. It was proudly mounted above the living room picture window for the rest of his life. I don't know which sibling got it but I always really admired it. Congrats on such a find and best to you and its restoration!

Easiest project I've ever finished up! After getting about 5 coats of WOP on the wood, I decided to stop before it got shiny. It will come up slightly more after it cures for a week, and I wax and buff it. But I like the satin look for a Trapdoor.
Used Mark Lee Express rust bluing, and worked all day getting it blued. I fought the rear sight, and then remembered it's likely too hard, and wont take rust bluing. Came up a little darker, but not dark enough. It will need to be nitre blued, or hot blued, so I'll get that done later. Lock plate was a little better, but also not quite as dark. I can live with it as it is. I didn't blue the barrel bands, or sling swivels as they were pretty darn good as is.

Szvlcm0l.jpg

Q2DiAG3l.jpg

SbRyEL0l.jpg

drtqO09l.jpg

xZL6ZAil.jpg

So this will end up a full on shooter? If so thats a cool new toy.
All of my old 1800's single shots get shot, and some I use in matches from 100 yds. to 1000 yds. I have no reservations about shooting any of my old singles. This one wont be an exception to that.

After doing a little research on the International Movie Firearms Database, the only two MGM movies listed with Trapdoor Springfield rifles are The Badlanders from 1958 and Breakheart Pass from 1975. It would seem likely that your rifle appeared in Breakheart Pass!!
Source;
https://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Trapdoor_Springfield_Rifle
I think in many cases Trapdoors and Rolling Blocks were also used and disguised as old percussion, or even flintlocks in other movies also. Usually not by the main characters where they might be seen in a closeup. There's a great video by "Forgotten Firearms" on Youtube where he discusses a Trapdoor with brass castings attached for the movies to make it look like a flinter.

I used to shoot the wax .45 cal. bullets out of mine with just a primer using cases that the lips had started to crack out. Lots of fun training and accurate out to 50 feet. :)

Last Edited:
Many years ago I was at a gunshow and a guy had a couple of Win '73s stamped with 'Batjack Productions', claiming they were originally owned by JW's company.

Thinking I would like to have one, as I had always wanted a '73, and the prices were not too terrible - partially because they weren't in that great of shape and were missing their forestocks - it occurred to me to ask if he had letters of authenticity and he did not, so I passed.

I suspect the forestocks were missing as this was an early way to create a 'Henry' looking rifle.

Last Edited:
Many years ago I was at a gunshow and a guy had a couple of Win '73s stamped with 'Batjack Productions', claiming they were originally owned by JW's company.

Thinking I would like to have one, as I had always wanted a '73, and the prices were not too terrible - partially because they weren't in that great of shape and were missing their forestocks - it occurred to me to ask if he had letters of authenticity and he did not, so I passed.

I suspect the forestocks were missing as this was an early way to create a 'Henry' looking rifle.
Sometimes you have to go with your gut, and decide if the price merits a chance, or if you should pass. Hopefully you made the right decision. If something is cheap enough I figure I'll take a chance, but I wont buy a story for more money if it's inflating the price.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top