JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Hello! So, this holiday season my brother-in-law was in town and we went to the range. He was very glad to help clean the firearms we fired and was anxious to show me how he cleans guns. I took him to the NW Armory and He had my buy an aerosol can of Break Free CLP. Once home, he proceeded to hose the living daylights out of everything in sight. I have since managed to remove it all, from my XDM 9mm 4.5", except in one particular tight spot: the very rear of the frame, there is a small spring assembly, I’m presuming assisting with the firing pin mechanism?

Is it bad to have that area over lubed? Should I take it to a gunsmith to have it taken apart and cleaned out? Am I over thinking all of this?

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated! Thank you!

I have heard it said that regardless of how much you use while cleaning it, what you want to have left over when you're done is a VERY thin layer of oil (or CLP, or whatever) on the friction surfaces and any other surfaces that might rust.

Too much lube in the striker channel can cause light strikes.
Too much lube elsewhere can get in your eyes when you shoot or cause your grip to slip.

I usually squirt a bit of CLP onto a cotton swab and brush everywhere I can reach, then use toothpicks to get the grit out of the tight spots, wipe the whole thing down with paper towels, and then use the CLP on cotton swabs again to apply a light film of it for lube. Occasionally I'll squirt some CLP into the striker channel, push on the striker a few times (not fully extending it), and the blow out the channel with compressed air. You can get cans of air from office supply stores, or Amazon.

A small can of aerosol CLP lasts a LONG time that way, and my guns all run fine.

If it bothers you, you can take the slide off and turn the grip upside down and let it sit on paper towels for a few hours. The excess will run out and you will be fine.

I HATE CLP. It is the most vile weapon lube/clean product. When I rant an armsroom in the Army, I kept rem oil on hand for lube. The only time I used the stuff was at the range, otherwise it all had to be cleaned off and no trace when they turned them in. I use TL-25 grease on everything, and if it needs to be cleaned well, I use a light solvent.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top