JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a question and I'm hoping someone will be able to help me out. I have a Tikka T3X in 7mm-08 that I'm looking to rebarrel to a 280AI. I know the receivers are all the same but I'm concerned about the bolt. Has anyone done a similar swap? I'm having a custom 280AI built and my son is going to be out growing his 243 soon.

Thanks in advance,

2dognite

Why not just buy a Tikka in 7mm Rem Mag? The ballistics are nearly identical and the Tikka barrel is 24". I have one. Tack driver.

C8C965DE-3F4D-4D13-8CD7-84075E86110D.jpeg

Pretty average performance for this rifle. The one I sold to a friend was similar and my brother's is about the same.

P

Last Edited:
I thought the 7mm-08 was the chit, I don't have one but know several guys that do.

It is. I used to have 4, now I'm down to 2.

I only bought the 7 Rem Mag to pìss off my brother. He bought new, replaced the stock, added a brake, swapped out the recoil lug, and spent big dollars on a scope. All before he even fired the dang thing.

So I bought used, replaced the recoil pad, and installed a used scope. It shoots just as well as his.

HA!

It is. I used to have 4, now I'm down to 2.

I only bought the 7 Rem Mag to pìss off my brother. He bought new, replaced the stock, added a brake, swapped out the recoil lug, and spent big dollars on a scope. All before he even fired the dang thing.

So I bought used, replaced the recoil pad, and installed a used scope. It shoots just as well as his.

HA!
sounds like a 7mm-08 would be perfect for a young shooter.

Why not just buy a Tikka in 7mm Rem Mag? The ballistics are nearly identical and the Tikka barrel is 24". I have one. Tack driver.

View attachment 1081937

Pretty average performance for this rifle. The one I sold to a friend was similar and my brother's is about the same.

P
The 7mm RM is a great cartridge, no doubt about it. It's 100 fps faster than the AI and is readily available, even during panics. Can't really fault it.

The 280 AI does have a few advantages of it's own, starting with about twice the barrel life. It's more efficient, nearly matching the 7mm RM with less powder and recoil. Cases also last longer. It's no coincidence that many of the newer cartridge designs use P.O. Ackley's design concepts.

7mm RM is more practical. I have a 280 AI on order, but held off until I could get some factory loads and some brass to start with.

The 7mm RM is a great cartridge, no doubt about it. It's 100 fps faster than the AI and is readily available, even during panics. Can't really fault it.

The 280 AI does have a few advantages of it's own, starting with about twice the barrel life. It's more efficient, nearly matching the 7mm RM with less powder and recoil. Cases also last longer. It's no coincidence that many of the newer cartridge designs use P.O. Ackley's design concepts.

7mm RM is more practical. I have a 280 AI on order, but held off until I could get some factory loads and some brass to start with.
According to Nosler the velocity difference, at least with 160 grain bullets, is 28 fps. That's within my extreme spread.

For 98.65% of us, is barrel life an issue? Or case life?

If the OP wants something cool I get it. If Tikka offered a stainless .280 with a 24" barrel I'd be sorely tempted to retire my beloved -08s as well as my 7mm Rem Mag in favor. Performance-wise the 7mm Rem Mag and the .280AI are nearly identical so I'm scratching my head.

According to Nosler the velocity difference, at least with 160 grain bullets, is 28 fps. That's within my extreme spread.

For 98.65% of us, is barrel life an issue? Or case life?

If the OP wants something cool I get it. If Tikka offered a stainless .280 with a 24" barrel I'd be sorely tempted to retire my beloved -08s as well as my 7mm Rem Mag in favor. Performance-wise the 7mm Rem Mag and the .280AI are nearly identical so I'm scratching my head.
I'm in agreement that as a practical matter the 7mm RM would be the better choice for most people. If it's only going hunting once or twice a year then who cares, right? I'm just pointing out the reasons where the 280 AI has some advantages as well as deficiencies in comparison. If it isn't your cup of tea then it ain't your cup of tea.

I'm personally not a fan of belted cartridges, and case life does matter to me , especially now that they seem to be made out of gold. The vast majority of ammunition I shoot from centerfire bolt actions are hand loads, so I reuse brass a lot. The primary reason, for me, for factory loads is simply to get a starting point and to save a few for reference purposes.

I have said it many times, if the 280 rem would have come before the 270 win, the roles would be reversed and the the 270 would now just be the the redheaded stepchild. The .284 projectiles are in a very sweet spot!

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top