JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Mike's Mystery Bird
475536-2e13be19fa4d4c6ed90270f9d7bf3b7b.jpg

Cooper's
60324921-480px.jpg

Last Edited:
I'd help you rid the place of crows if they are ibdeed a nuisance.;););):p

They are smart, but not smart enough. You could never get them in close enough to drop them if you were standing anywhere. I could stand under my apple trees damn near hidden and they would still stay well out of range. I was mowing the field last year and a couple of crows were flying around watching the field mice run from the mower.

I put the shotgun across my lap on the tractor and when they got in range I dropped one, then another a few minutes later. I left them lay out there, the coyotes would not even mess with them for the first 5 days then they got one of them. There has not been a crow within 500 yards in the last year.

Used to hunt ducks and geese on Sauvie Island when I was young. One memorable day my Father put an owl Decoy in a tree near our blind. A few crows came to harass it and we dropped them. Two were only wounded an started cawing a distress call. Must have been a crow convention nearby, within minutes we were swarmed with scores of crows like the Hitchcock movie "The Birds". We would shoot some more, they would start to fly off,then come right back. At the time I thought they were pretty stupid.
Now that I'm older, I have great respect for their selfless return to come to their fellows aid.
At that time they were considered pests; now i won't shoot unless it something i'm willing to eat, (except rats or in self defense)

I guess that may cinch it. My book says a Sharp Shin Hawk is jay size. This guy is clearly way bigger than a jay. But still only half the size of a Red Tail.
It wasn't a hard guess even without the pic.
The Cooper's Hawk hunts the neighborhoods with an eye on the backyards with bird feeders.
Red Tails like more open country.

It wasn't a hard guess even without the pic.
The Cooper's Hawk hunts the neighborhoods with an eye on the backyards with bird feeders.
Red Tails like more open country.

We get a red tail here, hagin' in the Cully hood. I don't see them hunting. You'll know ones around when you hear the crows freaking out. Hell, the crows let me know when a cat is skulking my bird feeders! :s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top