JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
From Oregon Firearms Federation FB page.

"Mark your calendars. House Rep Michael Dembrow, (who co-sponsored HB 3200,) the Oregon gun ban and warrantless search bill, is having a coffee! If you're in the Portland area, why not stop by and say hello and have a cup of joe on Mike?

Here's the details in his own words:

I hope you'll join me this Saturday (March 2nd) morning for coffee and conversation. We're now just over three weeks into the session, and very close to the release of the Co-Chairs Budget proposal, which will frame our discussions moving forward. There's lots to talk about, and I'd like to hear your thoughts.
We'll be meeting at 10 AM at the Hollywood Senior Center (1820 NE 40th), in the classroom space just to the right after you enter. We'll have local, Ristretto Roasters coffee for your enjoyment.
See you then,
Michael"

So who is going to go and express disdain calmy and with fact and logic that the Treasonous HB3200 bill will be used to wipe there *** with?

Dembrow is also a sponsor of a new bill Requiring insurance

SB 758

SECTION 3. (1)(a) Except as provided in paragraph (c) of this subsection, a person that
owns a firearm that is located in this state shall obtain and maintain in effect a liability insurance
policy that covers the firearm and that complies with the provisions of sections 2
to 13 of this 2013 Act.
(b) A person that is subject to paragraph (a) of this section shall have at all times during
which the person owns a firearm evidence from an insurer to show coverage for the firearm
under the insurer's liability insurance policy. The person shall keep the evidence of the coverage
with the person or in a place that is readily accessible and available for immediate
inspection at all times during which the person uses, carries, transports, stores or otherwise
has access to the firearm.

SB 758 says "A person that owns a firearm that discharges and causes injury is strictly liable." even if its stolen apparently!
I'll bet Dembrow doesn't even know whats in the bill. I hope alot of you Portland gun owners can show up.

Overall: 30-40 were present. Room was small and cramped.

Dembrow was soft spoken and polite. He served as more of a moderator than an actual participant. He let the opposing folks in the room argue against one another. No one specifically targeted Dembrow's support for the legislation. Very smart on his part. Teflon smart. It may be the case that some of the vocal anti-gunners in the room were placed to protect him.

Right off the bat, a woman objected to filming in the room. (she later revealed herself as rabidly anti gun) It was a pro gunner with the camera. Before the meeting got started, her objection cast a veil of friction and hostility over the entire event. I was perplexed that anyone at such a public event would expect the event not to be recorded. Regrettably, it divided the pro gunners in the room, and at one point pro-gunners were speaking against one another about it. This should never happen again. The pros should have been unified.

Liability insurance was discussed. Dembrow admitted that though he is the sponsor, he had not read the entire bill. The pro gunners mentioned that the legislation will price people out of self protection. An anti responded that anytime someone gets shot, the financial burden on the public for providing medical care to that shot person is great. A pro gunner responded that the insurance is difficult to obtain and that his own carrier doesn't offer even it. Ironically, the rabid anti response was that it is available through the NRA and that it is not costly. The point was then made that Dembrow's district is very diverse in terms of class and race, and since insurance companies are frequently owned by the big banks, the requirement to add more cost for firearms ownership might essentially be classist and racist. This drew looks of disgust and head shaking from the anti crowd. Dembrow's response was : "I didn't mean it to be racist."

When discussing the legislation regarding college carry, the point was made that only the armed stop the armed. An anti responded that in his personal experience, he had talked down multiple shooters with weapons in their hands. Another woman chimed in that she noticed that shooters always seemed to take their own lives with their guns after their crimes. Dembrow stated that he felt each school should be free to set the policy on their campus. (Take this in context though; currently CHL holders can legally go to any school)

There was a comment that lead to a discussion about government tyranny and democide and guns being the ultimate check and balance. Dembrow fielded this one himself. He said that many may fear the police and military, but that these organizations are afforded extra privileges and trust to provide security for the rest of us. He stated that we don't live "in a society of absolute freedom." The implication was that sacrificing some liberty was required for some security.

Someone asked Dembrow to assess what the odds were that the various gun bills would pass. Dembrow was quite candid. He stated that politicians typically draft a lot of legislation in the hopes that just a few the would pass. They wait a while and then come back and try to pass more. He stated that HB3200 is virtually dead on the vine, but Dembrow was very open about his hopes for smaller measures such as the universal background checks and liability insurance to get through. He also stated that he had received approx 2000 emails regarding gun control and that the majority of it supported his current position.

Please let me know if I forgot something.

tunus, your efforts and insight are greatly appreciated. I thank you for coming, and your unique perspective on this issue is critical. I meant what I said. I do hope you'll attend more of these as we gather to oppose this storm.

Afterthought: Pros need to be more unified and organized.

Overall: 30-40 were present. Room was small and cramped.

Dembrow was soft spoken and polite. He served as more of a moderator than an actual participant. He let the opposing folks in the room argue against one another. No one specifically targeted Dembrow's support for the legislation. Very smart on his part. Teflon smart. It may be the case that some of the vocal anti-gunners in the room were placed to protect him.

Right off the bat, a woman objected to filming in the room. (she later revealed herself as rabidly anti gun) It was a pro gunner with the camera. Before the meeting got started, her objection cast a veil of friction and hostility over the entire event. I was perplexed that anyone at such a public event would expect the event not to be recorded. Regrettably, it divided the pro gunners in the room, and at one point pro-gunners were speaking against one another about it. This should never happen again. The pros should have been unified.

Liability insurance was discussed. Dembrow admitted that though he is the sponsor, he had not read the entire bill. The pro gunners mentioned that the legislation will price people out of self protection. An anti responded that anytime someone gets shot, the financial burden on the public for providing medical care to that shot person is great. A pro gunner responded that the insurance is difficult to obtain and that his own carrier doesn't offer even it. Ironically, the rabid anti response was that it is available through the NRA and that it is not costly. The point was then made that Dembrow's district is very diverse in terms of class and race, and since insurance companies are frequently owned by the big banks, the requirement to add more cost for firearms ownership might essentially be classist and racist. This drew looks of disgust and head shaking from the anti crowd. Dembrow's response was : "I didn't mean it to be racist."

When discussing the legislation regarding college carry, the point was made that only the armed stop the armed. An anti responded that in his personal experience, he had talked down multiple shooters with weapons in their hands. Another woman chimed in that she noticed that shooters always seemed to take their own lives with their guns after their crimes. Dembrow stated that he felt each school should be free to set the policy on their campus. (Take this in context though; currently CHL holders can legally go to any school)

There was a comment that lead to a discussion about government tyranny and democide and guns being the ultimate check and balance. Dembrow fielded this one himself. He said that many may fear the police and military, but that these organizations are afforded extra privileges and trust to provide security for the rest of us. He stated that we don't live "in a society of absolute freedom." The implication was that sacrificing some liberty was required for some security.

Someone asked Dembrow to assess what the odds were that the various gun bills would pass. Dembrow was quite candid. He stated that politicians typically draft a lot of legislation in the hopes that just a few the would pass. They wait a while and then come back and try to pass more. He stated that HB3200 is virtually dead on the vine, but Dembrow was very open about his hopes for smaller measures such as the universal background checks and liability insurance to get through. He also stated that he had received approx 2000 emails regarding gun control and that the majority of it supported his current position.

Please let me know if I forgot something.

tunus, your efforts and insight are greatly appreciated. I thank you for coming, and your unique perspective on this issue is critical. I meant what I said. I do hope you'll attend more of these as we gather to oppose this storm.

Afterthought: Pros need to be more unified and organized.

Almost felt like I was there after this report :s0155::s0155:

It is your first amendment right to record a public event. Never let them convince you to turn off the camera again. If they do not want to speak on camera tell them it is their right not to speak but it is your right to record and report as you are representing the right to free press and in the age of the internet anyone can be a news source. If the reps do not want to speak on camera remind them that this is a town hall a public forum where they are addressing their constituents and they should be reporting to all of them even those not present. Notes are usually taken and you are doing nothing different then the note takers in the room.

Even better tell them you will be reporting this news story on a public forum for the people to see and point them here should they care to read the story and be involved in conversation around it. I would love to see some of the reps come on this forum and talk to us.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top