JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If we're going to impinge on one of the fundamental amendments of the Constitution, we should pick the right one. It can be argued that the first amendment is the one whose altering would lead to the biggest change in gun violence. Many of the cries of the gun control crowd can, in essence, be applied to the first amendment.

--Why do we NEED a military-type firearm that holds 30+ rounds in the magazine? Well, why does anyone NEED 24 hours news coverage?

--The founding fathers were not envisioning what firearms would be developed when they wrote the second amendment. Well, they darn sure had no way of knowing about the technology that would arise for the press - the telegraph, radio, voice recorders, typewriters, TV, 24 hour news, the internet, etc., etc., etc. Guns honestly haven't changed that much since they were designed - you load powder and projectile, pull the trigger, it shoots. The manner in which news is collected and distributed has truly undergone a revolution.

Let's look at a (brief and limited) timeline of the history of school and mass shootings, the AR15, and 24 hour news.

July 26, 1764 - the Enoch Brown School Massacre occurred during the Pontiac War. This incident involved the shooting of the school master and beating deaths of 9 school children by four Lenape Indian warriors.

November 12, 1840 - Joseph Semmes shot law professor John Anthony Gardner Davis in Charlottesville, VA, and Davis died three days later.

December 13, 1898 - a fight broke out at a school exhibition in Charleston, WV. Shots were fired, and 6 people died. This is the earliest event I found where numerous people died at a school or school function as a result of gun violence.

September 5, 1949 - Howard Unruh guns down 13 people in Camden, NJ.

1963 - ads for the AR15 as a sporting rifle start to show up in magazines.

August 1, 1966 - the University of Texas massacre occurs, in which Charles Whitman killed 17 and wounded 31 others.

June 1, 1980 - CNN launches as the world's first 24 hour news channel. Between August 1, 1966, and June 1, 1980, I found records of about 57 people being killed in "school shootings."

July 18, 1984 - 21 people are killed at McDonald's in San Ysidro, CA.

August 20, 1986 - a man kills 14 people at a post office and then kills himself in Edmond, OK.

October 16, 1991 - a man in Killeen, TX, kills 20 people, wounds 20 more, then kills himself.

November 1, 1991 - a man killed 5, injured 1, then killed himself on the University of Iowa campus.

April 20, 1999 - the Columbine school shooting happens. This is probably the most highly publicized mass/school shooting in history, at this point.

Since this date, there have been countless mass shootings and school shootings. An article I found from October 7, 2014, cited more than 50 plots and enacted shootings had been inspired by Columbine, in barely 15 years since the massacre occurred.

I think it's clear what I'm trying to say here. Since the media circus surrounding the Columbine events, every single one of these tragedies gets 24 hour coverage for days. The perpetrators often end up being disturbed people describes as loners, and perpetrating these acts gets them the attention they're seeking. This timeline shows that people have been killing people in schools since before America was a country. People have been killing people since the dawn of the race. The will and intent has always been there. But this relatively new mass exposure is what is new. The rise of mass shootings and school shootings mirror the rise of 24 hour media coverage more closely than they do the sale of the AR-15 or any other gun-related metric.

What I stumbled on that was really groundbreaking to me was the way the media changed how it reported suicides, and the effect that had on suicide rates. Basically, the suicide rate skyrocketed, the media were reporting on many of them, and then the way the reports were made/worded changed, and the suicide rate dropped. There are many research papers out there showing the link between media coverage of suicides and copycat events.

So, if the media covers suicides in a dramatic fashion, there is a rise in copycat suicides. How in the world can this link not be drawn, and the same concept applied to mass shootings? Many sociologists and epidemiologists suspect a similar change in the reporting of mass shootings would lead to a similar response in the rate of copycat offenses. There is a lot of debate about whether gun control would work. There are numerous accounts where gun control has failed, and none (that I know of) where it worked. However, there is significant evidence that media control would work. So, as the title says, they're coming after the wrong amendment.

Last Edited:
Don't forget the Stockton school shooting. That was a big one for California and got our first bans
I was going to say he left that one out and it really got things going .
And that one right there is where they should have started the mental health talk but nope .
straight for the guns .and here we are

Why do we NEED a military-type firearm that holds 30+ rounds in the magazine? Well, why does anyone NEED 24 hours news coverage?
We don't. Anyone who uses their thinking muscles would realize that 24 hour news would rely heavily on sensationalism which causes problems.

Since this date, there have been countless mass shootings and school shootings. An article I found from October 7, 2014, cited more than 50 plots and enacted shootings had been inspired by Columbine, in barely 15 years since the massacre occurred.
The fact that the term copycat crime exists is why the media needs to change how they portray criminal acts. Sensationalizing the shooter by putting his face and name all over the placr motivated other psychopaths to do the same crime for their moment of fame (or infamy in this case).

Most people who think media portrayal has no effect and that its just guns guns and more guns (I honestly think they have guns on their minds than I do at this point) are far from having any understanding of criminology.

I was going to say he left that one out and it really got things going .
And that one right there is where they should have started the mental health talk but nope .
straight for the guns .and here we are
The problem with mental health, as usual, is that it opens up a door to where any mental disorder will become a disqualifier. Remember, at the end of the day the government is still made up of people. And more often than not, the people who are not on the side of the people.

I am sure everyone realizes the Bill of Rights all effect each other, pretty much right on down the list one can be effected if the other if touched. Once the slide starts on any right we are in trouble.
Others things.....
The Forming of DHS was once such item such as the Patriot Act all effected the Bill Of Rights.
From what I remember reading only the head of DHS is sworn in, the agents are not.

They have passed gun restrictions like passing out candy, restricting how we practice religion.
The 16th Amendment really screwed us and we are now pinned down in our lives by it but it also required to keep the country running at the level we spend.:rolleyes:.

Its a spiraling circle, that could bring us all to a halt some day... it has other countries.

Of course nobody talks about how many of our sons and daughters die from heroin use every day. If they want to stand by their "rights" to use drugs, I stand by my rights under 2A. Their moral equivalence does nullify mine. End of argument.

Of course nobody talks about how many of our sons and daughters die from heroin use every day. If they want to stand by their "rights" to use drugs, I stand by my rights under 2A. Their moral equivalence does nullify mine. End of argument.
Truth be told, the excuse that Mexico and Brazil are unfair comparisons due to them having drugs is easily invalidated by the fact we have a drug problem here in the states. Anyone who also wish to say they have a gang problem is also ignorant to the fact that we have gang problems too. Keeping in mind some even try to infiltrate police departments and the military to transfer arms.

Free speech in this country IS under assault all ready! Just try to stand up in Portland, Eugene, or similar cities with a large population of progressives, and speak out loud of the right to keep and bear arms.

Milo Yiannopoulos at Berkeley comes to mind.
Berkeley cancels Milo Yiannopoulos talk after violent protests - CNN
The current move to legislatively protect the 1st A should have been both 1st and 2nd together. First of all, who is going to openly deny protection of the 1st, and secondly, they are the most important....that's why they are #1 and 2. Without the 2nd you can't have the 1st.

The problem with mental health, as usual, is that it opens up a door to where any mental disorder will become a disqualifier. Remember, at the end of the day the government is still made up of people. And more often than not, the people who are not on the side of the people.
true

The First Amendment is under attack as well...
Or at the very least it is being used selectively and to push only one agenda or idea.

How often do you read , hear of or learn of positive firearm use in main stream media...?
How many folks get shut down or hit with countless negative comments on Facebook or Youtube for being pro-gun..?
What about that kid that was talked to by school officials and law enforcement , because he "tweeted" about about learning how to shoot while at a gun range , with a safety instructor...?
Why is that almost every gun owner that is interviewed or photographed by the news media is the stereotype "mall ninja" , racist , or anti government fool that does more damage to the vast majority of gun owners....

It seems that you can use the First Amendment as long as you promote the current , trendy mode of thought....the free exchange of ideas and information is slowly going away.
Andy

If we're going to impinge on one of the fundamental amendments of the Constitution, we should pick the right one. It can be argued that the first amendment is the one whose altering would lead to the biggest change in gun violence. Many of the cries of the gun control crowd can, in essence, be applied to the first amendment.

--Why do we NEED a military-type firearm that holds 30+ rounds in the magazine? Well, why does anyone NEED 24 hours news coverage?

--The founding fathers were not envisioning what firearms would be developed when they wrote the second amendment. Well, they darn sure had no way of knowing about the technology that would arise for the press - the telegraph, radio, voice recorders, typewriters, TV, 24 hour news, the internet, etc., etc., etc. Guns honestly haven't changed that much since they were designed - you load powder and projectile, pull the trigger, it shoots. The manner in which news is collected and distributed has truly undergone a revolution.

Let's look at a (brief and limited) timeline of the history of school and mass shootings, the AR15, and 24 hour news.

July 26, 1764 - the Enoch Brown School Massacre occurred during the Pontiac War. This incident involved the shooting of the school master and beating deaths of 9 school children by four Lenape Indian warriors.

November 12, 1840 - Joseph Semmes shot law professor John Anthony Gardner Davis in Charlottesville, VA, and Davis died three days later.

December 13, 1898 - a fight broke out at a school exhibition in Charleston, WV. Shots were fired, and 6 people died. This is the earliest event I found where numerous people died at a school or school function as a result of gun violence.

September 5, 1949 - Howard Unruh guns down 13 people in Camden, NJ.

1963 - ads for the AR15 as a sporting rifle start to show up in magazines.

August 1, 1966 - the University of Texas massacre occurs, in which Charles Whitman killed 17 and wounded 31 others.

June 1, 1980 - CNN launches as the world's first 24 hour news channel. Between August 1, 1966, and June 1, 1980, I found records of about 57 people being killed in "school shootings."

July 18, 1984 - 21 people are killed at McDonald's in San Ysidro, CA.

August 20, 1986 - a man kills 14 people at a post office and then kills himself in Edmond, OK.

October 16, 1991 - a man in Killeen, TX, kills 20 people, wounds 20 more, then kills himself.

November 1, 1991 - a man killed 5, injured 1, then killed himself on the University of Iowa campus.

April 20, 1999 - the Columbine school shooting happens. This is probably the most highly publicized mass/school shooting in history, at this point.

I think it's clear what I'm trying to say here. Since the media circus surrounding the Columbine events, every single one of these tragedies gets 24 hour coverage for days. The perpetrators often end up being disturbed people describes as loners, and perpetrating these acts gets them the attention they're seeking. This timeline shows that people have been killing people in schools since before America was a country. People have been killing people since the dawn of the race. The will and intent has always been there. But this relatively new mass exposure is what is new. The rise of mass shootings and school shootings mirror the rise of 24 hour media coverage more closely than they do the sale of the AR-15 or any other gun-related metric.

What I stumbled on that was really groundbreaking to me was the way the media changed how it reported suicides, and the effect that had on suicide rates. Basically, the suicide rate skyrocketed, the media were reporting on many of them, and then the way the reports were made/worded changed, and the suicide rate dropped. There are many research papers out there showing the link between media coverage of suicides and copycat events.

So, if the media covers suicides in a dramatic fashion, there is a rise in copycat suicides. How in the world can this link not be drawn, and the same concept applied to mass shootings? Many sociologists and epidemiologists suspect a similar change in the reporting of mass shootings would lead to a similar response in the rate of copycat offenses. There is a lot of debate about whether gun control would work. There are numerous accounts where gun control has failed, and none (that I know of) where it worked. However, there is significant evidence that media control would work. So, as the title says, they're coming after the wrong amendment.

The only reason they are not attacking the 1st directly, is because they have gutted and controlled it indirectly.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top