JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'd rather hear F18 and other Military aviation noise , than what I heard on the video clip in the thread:
"This is what Chicago sounds like at night time."

On the other hand I have heard enough military aviation noise in my service in the Army , to last a lifetime.
So I enjoy the quiet where I live ... but if y'all like the sound of planes , enjoy!
Andy

Last Edited:
Probably the reason I wear hearing aids today, but as an ex turbine mechanic, I still look up when the planes go over and my minds eye is in the cockpit as I hear compressors spool up and down while bleeds open and close. I don't even know if they still watch EGT, or a PT-7 gauge.:(
But, I still love the smell of burning JP4.:p

That makes two of us (I was careful enough that I don't need the hearing aids). I worked at the USNAS Whidbey Island (VAQ-129). Yes, the sound of freedom is very sweet! The J52-P-408 Pratt and Whitney engines had a distinctive sound. To this day, the sound of the old GTC (gas turbine compressor) cart we used brings back fond memories.

RB-66, J-71's w/variable nozzle. I worked "Hot JetCal.Unit". Along side the nacelle the ground would vibrate so badly,
during run up you had to stand on your toes. :eek::eek:
Never wore ear plugs. All we had were muffs with radios in them, I think half of the sound proofing had been removed
for the ear phones.:( On top of that, I've pulled a lot of triggers in 77 years.:rolleyes:

RB-66, J-71's w/variable nozzle. I worked "Hot JetCal.Unit". Along side the nacelle the ground would vibrate so badly,
during run up you had to stand on your toes. :eek::eek:
Never wore ear plugs. All we had were muffs with radios in them, I think half of the sound proofing had been removed
for the ear phones.:( On top of that, I've pulled a lot of triggers in 77 years.:rolleyes:

Incidentally, the Pratt and Whitney engine on our "sister ship" (Grumman's A6) were feared by "Victor Charlie" because they carried a very heavy load of ordnance (either HE or napalm). This generated terror that "bleach couldn't reach". I have always loved that fact! There's nothing quite as satisfying as striking terror into the heart of the enemy!

My brothers were coming... and HELL coming with them! :s0155:

I'll bring the subject back to Gunzzz..So we don't get criticized. About '58-'59, they took our twin 20mm turret off of the tail
and replaced it with a Chaff Dispenser. At that point our unofficial motto became,
"No Sweat With The Photo Jets, We Kill-um with Fill-um". :p

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads