JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Gee, what could possibly go wrong when turning over every aspect of your life to Jeff Bezos? Kinda funny really, and should see e as a wake up call, not to allow control outside your own grasp!

This what happens when Siri and Alexa get all rowdy and have a ruckus...
Luckily Cyberdyne Systems got 'em both a babysitter , who gave 'em a time out...:eek: :D
( Their older brother HAL was not pleased...)
Andy

People who trust the internet and rush headlong to buy into every new technology and control it offers kinda remind me of a snippet of an old song...

And when you're looking for your freedom
Nobody seems to care
And you can't find the door
Can't find it anywhere
When there's nothing to believe in
Still you're coming back, you're running back
You're coming back for more

😆😆😆😆 belly laughing over here! Every time I hear a customer tell me with a stupid look on their face, " we just got a new insert WiFi enabled gazingispin item" I dead stare them and ask how long are they expecting it to be before they get locked out, or remote shut off and be completely helpless! So far it's just been blank stares.
I'll stick to keyed locks, manual thermostats, pre 2008 vehicles and NO damn smart devices other than a 6 year old phone!🤫

I have dabbled with IoT items. Seemed fine at first, but almost every one of the devices became a hassle to operate at some point, not only because of internet attacks, but because the software, controls and/or "terms of use" keep changing over the years causing the IoT devices to become unpleasant to keep around.

I prefer things that don't change over time.

I should not admit to doing this but when all of this STUFF came down in the news the other day, I laughed!

It did not only MESS with people ordering more crapola - it screwed up their drivers and deliveries.

Plus people who use that STUFF in their home from a to z.

When I read some complaints from younger people and even middle aged people - you would have thought that the world came to an end.

One dumb bunny complained that her cats or dogs did not get fed due to the automatic feeder that she had in her home. As if you could be too LAZY and not just dump some kibble in their bowls BEFORE you left for work or fed your dogs in the evening around dinner time. Plus dogs can survive just fine if their meal is LATE!

My God, I could not believe the complaints about normal - simple things that most people CAN do withOUT do dads. Crikey!

And some man complained because his Alexa THING did not work. NO offense but that has got to be the dumbest piece of garbage and why some people have them and other things LIKE that in their home spying on them is beyond my comprehension! NO offense but if you want to be spied on - have at it! LOL

The outage messed up some other systems, programs and other companies too.

I do not have those links in front of me now. But the financial websites and other news told those stories.

It was mean of me to laugh to myself and I should not have done that. Forgive me. Thank you.

Many of you already know that the military and the pentagon use the freaking CLOUD now or they did and it was 'news' all over the place several years ago. I said that was REALLY STUPID at the time and it still is in my opinion.

Old Lady Cate
Added more.

Last Edited:
I never posted this financial story if my MEMORY is correct now, apologies if I am wrong, and I did not see it ever posted on this forum to the best of my memory.

Within THIS year, 2021, there was a HUGE GLITCH and massive outage where the FEDERAL RESERVE and some software - data did not work for literally HOURS ON END.

When that ONE glitch happened even BANKS, credit unions, all other financial businesses could NOT do business at all.

IT all froze up and it was a nationwide deal not just centered in one part of the country.

(I thought to myself that it had to do some more with THE GREAT RESET (Uh huh.) and more too.)

Anyway, even automatic payments, direct deposits, checks, cash, cash moving between BANKS/CREDIT UNIONS, wire transfers, all kinds of stuff just FROZE and it was all due to ONE ISSUE - computer issue with the FED.

The FEDERAL RESERVE gave some official line - story about a small issue but NO more was discussed by the FED and others. It kind of went away in the R and L 'NEWS'! LOL

Kind of like how the trillions of dollars missing from the PENTAGON's budget went away after old Rummy even mentioned it on SEPTEMBER 10, 2001. It was unaccounted for - bla and bla. Never accounted for and many records went bye, bye. How convenient!

Uh huh.

Offical .gov reports and so for those of you who always think that was a conspiracy theory - no sir ree - it was and is a fact. Never resolved too. Uh huh.

Old Lady Cate

This what happens when Siri and Alexa get all rowdy and have a ruckus...
Luckily Cyberdyne Systems got 'em both a babysitter , who gave 'em a time out...:eek: :D
( Their older brother HAL was not pleased...)
Andy
OMG!

You mentioned HAL. LOL

Thanks for the smile.

Old Lady Cate

Gee, that must be why at my place Nothing Happened. :D

It's pretty stupid to design a refrigerator that fails if it can't get an internet connection. Even dumber for a door lock to do that. If I designed something that poorly in my line of work I'd be laughed at the first time and probably fired the second time. Well not right now, no one wants to work. But usually.

One of my many stories of why I began to really dislike IoT:

I drive many different vehicles, including a METRO rideshare van. And I don't want to have to keep track of my garage door opener. So, about 3 years ago I bought an IoT garage door opener from the garage door manufacturer (I had recently installed a new opener for other reasons, but it is compatible with this service) that works with your smartphone.
I set it up 3 years ago, and it worked PERFECTLY up until about 6 months ago.

It was dumping buckets of rain, and I had arrived home in my METRO van, and like always, I went to use the "Genie" app on my smartphone that controlled my garage door opener. Except this time when I opened the APP on my phone, I was "signed out" which is odd because I never really had an "account" before (the phone was securely logged in to their service but didn't require an "account").
And, even more odd, the APP looked different. Why? Because it was now co-branded with Amazon. And, if I wanted to continue using the APP I needed to create an account with them. This was all done to drive interaction with Amazon delivery services, so I could allow Amazon into my garage for safer deliveries.
In the mean time, I am stuck outside of my house in a downpour, unable to open my garage door as I had for 30 months prior, because the APP changed their TOS and now required an account, which COULD be tied in to Amazon.

Pissed me off so bad I deleted the APP and removed the IoT interface from my home network. There's no freaking way I am going to give strangers access to my home.

One of my many stories of why I began to really dislike IoT:

I drive many different vehicles, including a METRO rideshare van. And I don't want to have to keep track of my garage door opener. So, about 3 years ago I bought an IoT garage door opener from the garage door manufacturer (I had recently installed a new opener for other reasons, but it is compatible with this service) that works with your smartphone.
I set it up 3 years ago, and it worked PERFECTLY up until about 6 months ago.

It was dumping buckets of rain, and I had arrived home in my METRO van, and like always, I went to use the "Genie" app on my smartphone that controlled my garage door opener. Except this time when I opened the APP on my phone, I was "signed out" which is odd because I never really had an "account" before (the phone was securely logged in to their service but didn't require an "account").
And, even more odd, the APP looked different. Why? Because it was now co-branded with Amazon. And, if I wanted to continue using the APP I needed to create an account with them. This was all done to drive interaction with Amazon delivery services, so I could allow Amazon into my garage for safer deliveries.
In the mean time, I am stuck outside of my house in a downpour, unable to open my garage door as I had for 30 months prior, because the APP changed their TOS and now required an account, which COULD be tied in to Amazon.

Pissed me off so bad I deleted the APP and removed the IoT interface from my home network. There's no freaking way I am going to give strangers access to my home.
We need more people to understand this $h!t, i really wish people would cut their tire to their net "teet".

What's so scary is that our public utilities are tied into similar "IoT" style networks that are online.

What I don't get is the major drive from utilities to have EVERYTHING online, it is at risk 24/7 to cyber attacks.

What did we do with our utilities before they are exposed to the internet? Why does it not seem like an improvement to me? I don't remember utility problems being "so bad" 40+ years ago that putting them onto the internet is so necessary.

I would think they'd like to have their own isolated networks for utilities, but they don't. Somehow they want them online, and accessible to public networks.

What's so scary is that our public utilities are tied into similar "IoT" style networks that are online.

What I don't get is the major drive from utilities to have EVERYTHING online, it is at risk 24/7 to cyber attacks.

What did we do with our utilities before they are exposed to the internet? Why does it not seem like an improvement to me? I don't remember utility problems being "so bad" 40+ years ago that putting them onto the internet is so necessary.

I would think they'd like to have their own isolated networks for utilities, but they don't. Somehow they want them online, and accessible to public networks.
You already know the answer: It's cheaper.

Save money. Dont have to pay IT pros to work on developing secure networks separate from internet

Money, plus "easier" to get the customers money via internet

I remember this phrase. "Security is inverse of convenience". The "inconveniences" of having secure, independent networks and paying IT professionals to keep them secure and prevent cyber attacks are apparently so great that the companies have chosen to base their networks on internet networks :rolleyes:

The work is already done, and they can pay IT professionals in other countries to "troubleshoot" vs having a robust, independent, secure network :rolleyes:

At least that's how I see it

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads