JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
So, after wrapping up the evening, I've been farting around Gunbroker. Mainly checking on the "watched" revolvers mentioned elsewhere. I spied somewhat rough El Tigre carbine in .44—40 WCF (though, naturally, marked .44 Largo).

The good? BuyItNow is just under four c-notes. (Yah, what does four bills buy these days?)
The bad? It looks a bit rough. Some dings in the wood. Pitting in the metal. It would be a project.
The ugly? Well, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :p

pix203081822.jpg

pix488187411.jpg

pix910075710.jpg

pix166314334.jpg

Hmmm ... interesting. I've got too many projects going as it is. But it is a classic lever-gun.

Thoughts?

P.S. The Rossi 92 in .44 Magnum we have does everything this one does and then some. So, hardly pressing.

Nice guns. I own one and have had others. Not an exact copy of the '92 Winny, but close. Workings are the same, barrel is an inch and a half longer and most of them have the sling swivels, but a great shooter. Rossi is OK, but you'll not go wrong with this gun, condition being equal. Good luck!

If I had a lot of time of my hands, and I don't, quite the opposite actually, this might make sense. Yah, I'll skip this one; passing fancy. Though one of these days I'd like to add a .44—40 to the line up.

I do like the Rossi 92 in .44 Magnum we added a few years back.
wood1-jpg.jpg

Just like a beater car, $400 is the starting point, then it nickels and dimes you to death if you want it pretty. I think you'd be better off spending double that on an already "perfect" rifle and not have buyer's remorse. I hate buyer's remorse.

If he can sleep at night KNOWING that he abandoned that poor little rifle to an unknown fate........:rolleyes:
To me, the posting of the question masks that it's already been answered by the OP. Not a poke at you, @CountryGent - just a personal observation of others and myself.
IMO, the decision to pass was already made, but the hero in you wanted to rescue a potential beauty.

Had one many years ago, drilled and tapped a hole in the trigger guard for a adjustable set screw so it would fire when he action was fully closed. Lots of fun firing from the hip rifleman style :D

Less than $400 for a beater? Maybe. It could be used and abused without any personal distress.
The 44-40 part is what intrigues me. However, if you don't reload it could be difficult to feed.