JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My apologies if this has already been published....

Still experimenting/learning the PL 600 shortwave radio; my 1st impression is a positive one. The radio's capabilities enhance my Technician Ham License 2 meter radios and rating.

A future dipole antenna should round-up my learning; the online reviews match my opinions.

I bought the radio as an interim financial solution until I get a General License, and dive off into a much-deeper HF investtment ($80 vs $800+).

One of my other "clubs" :)rolleyes:) provided me with these frequencies that I think would be immeasurable during an emergency. OK to monitor without a license.

3.980.0 Oregon Net
3.990.0 WX Net

Other frequencies:

Ch 3 on CB & GMRS
146.420 (2 Meter Ham)

Other Ham Radio:

The Baofeng UV5R+ is a great value; it keeps up with my other more expensive equipment.

I don't consider myself an expert but think this info may help a beginner or 2.

I love little SWRs they're a lot of fun, I have a ... whatever that thing is, was sold by countycomm for a while "ETFR". It's been a good radio, at about the size of a pack of cigs. It fits in a chem decontamination kit box, with a set of headphones and an antenna.

In general, you won't get much better reception with a dipole for listening than you will with just a vertical antenna, as the dipole is going to be biased in a specific direction. The two better options are verticals, or simple random wire antennas. These work well for listening, bad for transmitting.

If you're really interested in the topic of antenna building I would suggest building a groundplane. I've built more than a few really solid 2m groundplanes, and even a few for other bands, even a 6M and 10M one, however those get huge.

I have a bunch of little baofeng radios, they're awesome. I like the package size, battery life, cost, and many other things about the radio that my yaesu has really let me down on. I've been considering getting one of the TYT 9800 mobile radios for the truck. Really, 10m and 6m are where it's at for long range comms.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews